Help needed in the Netherlands !

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 04:51 AM
FreakinFord
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help needed in the Netherlands !

Hi guys,

I live in the Netherlands and drive a V8 302 cid '71 F-100 (three on the wheel). I imported the truck from San Jose, CA. It came with a non-original transmission, namely a Ford 3.03 HEG (normal for Ford Fairlane 1966) as opposed to a Ford 3.03 RAT. I bought a used Ford 3.03 RAT H3 on ebay and a RAT transmission overhaul kit from broncograveyard.com.

When taking the RAT transmission apart i found that the needles from the needle bearings on the main shaft were rusted to the main shaft. I managed to get them loose but now the surface is damaged and so that RAT main shaft is no longer usable.

Would anybody happen to know if i could use that RAT overhaul kit in the HEG Transmission ?? (bearings, syncho-mesh rings)

Would anybody happen to know the gear ratios of that HEG transmission ?? (the RAT H3 has a 2.99-1.75-1.00 ratio)

Has anybody a complete mainshaft from a RAT H-series for sale ??

Thanks in advance
John

Old 09-10-2007, 01:34 PM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I would bet to say all the three speeds were likely the same stuff inside, basically, besides maybe gear combinations. If I recall correctly(from 20 yrs ago) that the toploader 3 spd is basically the same parts as the 4 spd(bearings and small parts).

Since trucks are shift on the column, and the Fairlane wasn't, I'd be the only difference between the two boxes you have are the tailshafts(shifter mounting locations for car use). The truck box probably doesn't have any holes on it?

Contact Dave: http://www.4speedtoploaders.com/
He would be the most likely person to tell you anything about these transmissions.

Last edited by Freightrain; 09-10-2007 at 01:37 PM.