6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Buying Advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 10:33 AM
Rockett
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying Advice

I'm a newbie here.

I currently have an 07 Dodge 1500 gasser and as stupid as it is to trade the first year that ya own a vehicle, I am really dying to have a diesel. My easiest swtich would be another Dodge, but a dielsel version. I love my Dodge, but the quad cab is a bit small and the maga cab is too big. The Ford is just right. My concern is the bad rumblings surrounding the new Ford Powerstroke (the power and the milelage). The Cummins still gets the good reviews, but not nessesarily does the Dodge truck itself.

I live in a rural area, but travel into the city a few times a week. (mega cab is ruled out for the city and I don't have kids yet). I tow a 19" Airstream occasionally, a motorcycle trailer occasionally and a flat bed occasionally. The 15000 does fine with all but the Airstream. Mileage goes down by almost half when I tow that ****.

I really like the looks of the 08 Fords. (the 250 is what I'm pondering). Like the Dodge looks too. Brand allegence aside, what buying advice does anyone have on this situation?

Thanks a 1/4 ton!

Old 09-09-2007, 11:54 AM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by Rockett
I'm a newbie here.

I currently have an 07 Dodge 1500 gasser and as stupid as it is to trade the first year that ya own a vehicle, I am really dying to have a diesel. My easiest swtich would be another Dodge, but a dielsel version. I love my Dodge, but the quad cab is a bit small and the maga cab is too big. The Ford is just right. My concern is the bad rumblings surrounding the new Ford Powerstroke (the power and the milelage). The Cummins still gets the good reviews, but not nessesarily does the Dodge truck itself.

I live in a rural area, but travel into the city a few times a week. (mega cab is ruled out for the city and I don't have kids yet). I tow a 19" Airstream occasionally, a motorcycle trailer occasionally and a flat bed occasionally. The 15000 does fine with all but the Airstream. Mileage goes down by almost half when I tow that ****.

I really like the looks of the 08 Fords. (the 250 is what I'm pondering). Like the Dodge looks too. Brand allegence aside, what buying advice does anyone have on this situation?

Thanks a 1/4 ton!
Welcome to FTE

I'll try to answer as un-bias as i can. But i am ford guy!

To be honest any of the three, Dodge,Chevy or fords are all good diesels.
It has now become a matter of which one you like. In my opnion the chevy is a nice daily driver. It has the most power of the three. The chevy will get the job done. The ford is more user friendly on the inside, if you are using it for a work truck and will spend alot of time in it, the ford is more comfortable. The ford is setup to handle more weight. The Dodge has a great motor but not much of a truck. The mega cab is nice, its the only truck with a good rear ac vent system if you have rear passangers alot. The motor will proably outlast three trucks. IMO

Any of these trucks your looking at are all fighting fuel ecomony issues with the new emmision requirements. It will take time to get them dialed in.

FYI, with 5300 miles on my truck i'm gettin 11.5 MPG in town and 15.8 MPG HWY. The truck started at 9 MPG in town and 11 MPG HWY. I have had no problems with the truck outside of some aftermarket parts i tried.

If i had to do it again i'd still go with the ford
Good luck.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:27 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SANDDEMON08
Welcome to FTE

I'll try to answer as un-bias as i can. But i am ford guy!

To be honest any of the three, Dodge,Chevy or fords are all good diesels.
It has now become a matter of which one you like. In my opnion the chevy is a nice daily driver. It has the most power of the three. The chevy will get the job done. The ford is more user friendly on the inside, if you are using it for a work truck and will spend alot of time in it, the ford is more comfortable. The ford is setup to handle more weight. The Dodge has a great motor but not much of a truck. The mega cab is nice, its the only truck with a good rear ac vent system if you have rear passangers alot. The motor will proably outlast three trucks. IMO

Any of these trucks your looking at are all fighting fuel ecomony issues with the new emmision requirements. It will take time to get them dialed in.

FYI, with 5300 miles on my truck i'm gettin 11.5 MPG in town and 15.8 MPG HWY. The truck started at 9 MPG in town and 11 MPG HWY. I have had no problems with the truck outside of some aftermarket parts i tried.

If i had to do it again i'd still go with the ford
Good luck.
sandddemono8

kudos for your response on this thread. Rockett, buy the truck you feel more comfortable with. Ford has the edge on Dodge and Chevy. They were the first to come out with the new emissions. Check with your local Dodge dealer and see how many new trucks they have in the shop. I know they are changing engine on lots of them. But they are all good trucks.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:57 PM
littledre1
Senior User
I test drove a 2500 megacab slt with the cummins and a 250 KR with the 6.4. The two trim levels aren't equal but IMHO the ford drove way better. The ford was quieter, smoother and had more get up and go. You have to remember that you are buying a whole truck not just a motor. In my opinion ford has a better overall "truck" it might not have the best motor, cummins, or the smoothest ride, cheeby IFS, but it is the best truck overall IMHO.

Old 09-09-2007, 08:02 PM
1968Mustang
Senior User
I agree with all of the above. Buy what you like. The 08 is a beautiful truck, and if that is your choice, I think you will be happy.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:53 AM
Rockett
Junior User
After driving basically everything out there, I ended up with a slightly pimped out 250 2008 XLT, Crew Cab in white. (6.4) Took all day to get the deal done, so I haven't really driven it that much yet. Nice wheels, tires, lift kit. I'm pretty frickin' psyched! I'm also in shock because I always have a bit of buyer's remorse anytime I buy a high ticket item.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:10 PM
Champ198
Elder User
Congrats on your new XLT 6.4. You will love your new 6.4. Use your new super powers for good.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:21 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Happy times Rockett! Enjoy your new SD...and when you get a chance...post some pics. We FTE folks love to see a new SD ride!

biz

Old 09-11-2007, 01:07 AM
Rockett
Junior User
Pics!

Old 09-11-2007, 07:53 AM
02PSD4ME
Posting Guru
I would say NO!, you are going to take a beating... Unless of course you have $$$ to burn, that I would say go ahead.

Old 09-11-2007, 07:56 AM
jamesoja
Freshman User
WoW your truck looks killer, nice choice!

Old 09-11-2007, 10:12 AM
6.9OriginalDiesel
Junior User
Nice looking truck.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:04 AM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

That's what I am talking about! NICE...tough looking SD! Congrats!

biz

Old 09-12-2007, 12:33 AM
Rockett
Junior User
Right on! Thanks!

Old 09-12-2007, 08:48 AM
firehawk198
Elder User
Congrats! you will be real happy with your desicion, have owned Chevy, Toyotas and Nissans. The new Super duty is by far the best truck I have owned. You shouldn't get stuck with those treads.