6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

truck's acting weird..

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 03:29 PM
firehawk198
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by greythorn3
dont get a bent outa shape Edited by Maxium4x4

Ray
Wow! more great imformation to help everyone out with. Really adds to the education of helping these guys with problems out.

Last edited by Maxium4x4; 09-14-2007 at 06:19 PM.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:03 PM
origcharger
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by firehawk198
Wow! more great imformation to help everyone out with. Really adds to the education of helping these guys with problems out.

Agreed!!!! I have really been missing Vloney's informative posts, now they're taking potshots at another Ford Tech that bothers to take his time to be helpfull.

Old 09-14-2007, 04:16 PM
fordstroker
Junior User
08350, man that could very well be the biggest bunch of BS i have heard also..that's just rediculous for them to even tell you those things!!sounds like they can't figure it out so they're just blaming it on other things...well i guess i'll find out what kind of BS my dealer is going to give me monday..hope the luck gets better...

Old 09-14-2007, 04:20 PM
greythorn3
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
done get all bent.. that was just a light hearted joke to lighten the mood on this thread it was starting to depress me!

Ray

Old 09-14-2007, 04:31 PM
Junior User
Yeah, it was a bunch of BS, thats for sure. But, I will say this, the reflash really made the truck shift a hell of alot better! I never loved the way it shifted before, it was almost like the motor would cut out every shift, especially under heavy throttle. Now, its soo smooth. Also seems to cut the hesitation off the line a little. Its still there, but it seems to come alive much quicker. After I picked my truck up, I was curious about the difference the reflash would make, so when the light turned green, i put it to the floor. Still a puff of black smoke but i hit a little unsettled pavement and the tires broke loose! Big smile

Old 09-14-2007, 05:12 PM
fordstroker
Junior User
08350, did you ask them to update the pcm or did they just do it when they were looking for the problem? I'm going to make sure they reflash mine..

Old 09-14-2007, 05:25 PM
Junior User
I had to ask them to. The service advisor didn't even know about it until I told him that I read about it on this site. I wish that they were a little more knowledgable about the 6.4 at this dealer. Guess I'll just have to get them to start reading FTE!!!

Old 09-14-2007, 05:38 PM
fruth04
Senior User
well, dont know if it has been resolved yet, but my dads has a bad lag if you start it up cold (in 50degrees) and immediately get on it to the floor it does something similar to what you saaid, but within a 1/3 mile its normal, not recommending driving like that on a cold diesel but that is what his did.

Old 09-14-2007, 07:07 PM
BowTieHatr
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
putting lsd in these trucks instead of ulsd will only make more regens happen and fuel mileage go down. to my understanding no smoke if any is supposed to come out due to the dpf and the job it performs. i have on at the shop that the egr valve went out on and it started smoking. well the egr issue is fixed and it still smokes. owner had to have today and i couldnt get it to stop smoking. i assumed it is due to the excess fuel in the exhaust but told them to definitely bring it back it it persists. as far as im concerned this is not normal but there really is no line drawn in the sand yet to say what is and what aint. hopefully we will get to the bottom of this soon.

guys i really hate hearing about the other dealers and about the "stealers" some of you complaine about. i for one love what i do and care ultimately about the customer and they're satisfaction because thats what im supposed to do.

Old 09-14-2007, 07:54 PM
greythorn3
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BowTieHatr
guys i really hate hearing about the other dealers and about the "stealers" some of you complaine about. i for one love what i do and care ultimately about the customer and they're satisfaction because thats what im supposed to do.
Ya well unfortunatly many of them are.. and will always be. Im glad that you take time to come here and HELP people, your efforts are appreciated very much.. i guess i get all wound up from my personal experianced from dealerships and jump to conclusions about them all.. but congrats to you for being a stand up guy and proving me wrong, and sorry if i have hurt your feelings with my uncalled for comments.. i was out of hand and readily admit i am wrong.. my hats off to you dear sir.

Ray

Old 09-14-2007, 08:05 PM
BowTieHatr
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
thanks ray. apology accepted, and no harm done. i had thick skin when i started on this site, but now i have gator skin and not to much bothers me. its all good.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:13 PM
Zeplik
New User
Well, the LSD vs ULSD suggestion is totally incorrect for this problem. I too have been religious about ULSD only, AND I also use the Cetane boost made specifically for ULSD as well.

Since it's hard for each of us to pin down the exact sequence of events, here's my impression of how it feels: It very much feels like having the choke engaged on a warm carb engine and punching it. The mixture's too rich, and the engine just plain bogs down. Temperature doesn't seem to be a specific factor as we have several suggestions of both cold and warm engines. In my case it has always been a warm engine (gauge dead center).

Another thought I had was does everyone who has had this problem have the TCS system? I'm wondering if the TSC is engaging which restricts RPM, causing it to bog down (though I have no idea what causes the smoke).

Old 09-14-2007, 10:27 PM
KyJoe340
New User
I have a '99 7.3 that has exactly the same symptoms as the ones listed in this thread. A white puff of smoke followed by loss of power and jerking if you give it much throttle. This will go on for a few minutes then go away and run fine. I've been at the dealership twice in the past three weeks, first they replaced the ICP regulator but the problem continued. Next they replaced the back pressure sensor and tube, and the problem hasn't come back yet. I know there's big differences in a '99 7.3 and 2008 6.4 but they probably have similar components. The problem sounds so similar to mine I thought I would share my situation.

Old 09-14-2007, 11:02 PM
fordstroker
Junior User
ditto...i don't know about the rest of yall with problems, but my truck has done this probably 5-7 times and i agree with an earlier post saying that it feels like the choke is on, on a warm engine..and mine isn't just a "puff" of white smoke, it will smoke as long as you hold the throttle down and buck and cut out and all that..i'm thinking it has something to do with coolant somehow leaking into the exhaust or something because on the inside of my tailpipes there are dried up little white spots that look some kind of liquid has been coming out the pipes...and yes i do have TCS on my truck..as far as i'm concerned nothing is ruled out on this one..

Old 09-14-2007, 11:05 PM
fordstroker
Junior User
hell i'm thinking bout printing this thread out and taking it to my dealer so they can read up on this...sounds like a few of yall on here than most do...

Quick Reply: truck's acting weird..