Competition Diesel racing, sleds, dynos, power tuning and max performance.

why don't I see more fords at truck pulls

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 09:06 PM
24Vford
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
there is a 7.3 out there with a inline mech. pump off a mack but it is about as far from being a powerstroke that i think you could be but you are talking huge money for something like that

Old 10-08-2007, 09:33 PM
mech2161
Posting Guru
There's a few PS's that can pull a sled.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:58 AM
glasseater
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 24Vford
there is a 7.3 out there with a inline mech. pump off a mack but it is about as far from being a powerstroke that i think you could be but you are talking huge money for something like that
yeah P Pumping (i think that's the terminology) isn't really a PSD anymore lol

Old 10-09-2007, 06:17 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mavrik4x4
Awhat is the cylinder configuration of a diesel engine found in a train?
Here they are either V12's or V16's.
An 18wheeler? Most LARGE cruise ships and vessels?---------MOST are I6. Even if they are more than 6cylinders, they are still an INLINE CONFIGURATION. There is a reason for that.
Yes there is.
And packaging is usually it.
The same reason that HALF the people on this board would tell you that they would take the old, smaller discplacement I6 300ci Ford over the V8 302ci Ford engine.. Including myself.
To be fair though - just because you would take a 300 over a 302 - doesn't make a V8 design any worse than a I6.
Both have thier application - and I have yet to see a situation where the choice of engine configuration was "because it has more torque down low", because it doesn't exist.

The choice to use a Cummins in sled pulling, is like building a 350 to put in a hot rod (yawn)... purely a matter of it being cheaper, and at this point in time, the fuel system on a 7.3l or a 6.0l PSD (the 6.4l hasn't had enough development time) can't compete with that of a Dmax or a Cummins.

Old 10-09-2007, 06:51 PM
24Vford
Freshman User
Originally Posted by glasseater
yeah P Pumping (i think that's the terminology) isn't really a PSD anymore lol
the truck does have a p style pump but its not a p7100

Old 10-12-2007, 11:44 AM
Kenworth
Posting Guru
The 5.9 Cummins isn't overbuilt you want to see over built look at a British Ford Leyland 363 diesel they are way heavier than a 5.9 Cummins will ever dream of. They also have sleeves so the engine is not a throwaway block like a Cummins.

I don't what it really proves sled pulling a truck that works every day and still on the road after 10-15 years proves it. How many Dodges do you still see on the road.

There sure is lots of misconception that 6 cylinders are in everything. Most larger marine engines are all V configurations. Most mine haul trucks all have V configured engines. The only reason why class 8 trucks have I-6 engines is to fit the truck. You look at off highway logging trucks they run 12v71 power the trucks gross 200,000lbs off road.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:37 PM
bf250
Post Fiend
just my little input with it, around where i use to live people used the dodges (12v) just because they were cheaper to buy and maintain, not as much resale on them compared to fords. heck, my friend picked up a 1990 for $2500 running just fine and this was in 2001, not for pulling but just to drive around.

Old 10-13-2007, 03:30 PM
Raider50
Elder User
or if your just a manly man like I, you can just drive a 460efi where I would have to spend crazy amounts of money to get over 550hp. But no matter what I will never go diesel its to cold here in the winter I gota pull my friend to start his diesel all the time. and back to the truck pull thing most ford truck owners respect there trucks to much to spend all that money on them just to blow a piston or crack a block doing something as stupid as a truck pull. I say let those dogs blow the smoke and blow up.

Old 10-14-2007, 06:30 PM
lukecline
Posting Guru
your buddies truck must have weak batteries a glow plug issue or depending on the brand of truck a grid heater problem. My truck with lower compression has no problems starting in single digit weather. It will smoke a little until it warms up, but it fires right up.

Old 10-14-2007, 11:05 PM
SR_Crewchief
Senior User
Raider50, I've got to agree with lukecline. He and I are both South of your lat, but the boys North of the border don't seam to be having to many issues starting. It does help when the temps drop to the sub-zeroes to plug the blockheater in though.

As for the "respect their trucks" bit...I call BS. I don't care what "brand" is a personal favorite. You will always find guys that want to take a given vehicle to the very limits of what it can do. Unfortunetly, Powerstrokes appear to be easier to break than the Duramax and Cummins (even the Cummins with the Brazilian 53 blocks(cracked water jackets) and Bosch VP injector pumps (siezed internal rotary pumps)).

Old 10-15-2007, 04:11 PM
glasseater
Posting Guru
no problems starting in up around -10 to -15 in upstate new york for snowmobiling... once it gets to -50 (one time...) even gas vehicles couldn't stay running lol

Old 10-15-2007, 08:53 PM
16diesel
Senior User
Originally Posted by mavrik4x4
You cant just generalize and say that a Cummins is cheaper and easier to mod then a Pstroke. Thats all Im saying. A 12 valve IS cheaper....granted;but there is not that much difference when you get into the 24 Valves, and half of them are common rail, also. Indeed, there are less parts(i.e..cylinders and such), but that is simply inherent of the Cummins' design. When other people were building V8diesels, Cummins came out as an I6.
And, Im afraid that I will have to dissagree with you regarding the reason there are more Cummins than Pstrokes at pulls... its not the price of parts(Seeing as how I dont know any one that has bought anything cylinder related for a Cummins{aside from injectors}REQUIRED for sled pulling), but rather that the Cummins is a superior pulling engine with dead weight from a stop...ok, I know this is going to cause all kinds of flaming, but before you crucify me, consider this......what is the cylinder configuration of a diesel engine found in a train? An 18wheeler? Most LARGE cruise ships and vessels?---------MOST are I6. Even if they are more than 6cylinders, they are still an INLINE CONFIGURATION. There is a reason for that. The same reason that HALF the people on this board would tell you that they would take the old, smaller discplacement I6 300ci Ford over the V8 302ci Ford engine.. Including myself. No one here can contest the bottom end of this old engine vs its equal CI counterparts.
\

actually most of the trains run V configurations, ships like a coast gaurd cutter run alco V16s, and semis could be bought with 6 or 8V71 and 6 or 8V92 detroits, and 3408 cats up till the late 80s. take for example a 7.3 idi and a first gen cummins. a 7.3 idi (with no turbo) a V8 makes max torque at 1400 RPM!!!! a first gen cummins (with a turbo) dosent make it till 1900 Rpm. thats 500RPM lower from a "inferior" V motor with no turbo!

Old 10-15-2007, 09:02 PM
16diesel
Senior User
the one thing i have noticed is that people with fords dont pull them are usally guys that have to get up the next morning and use them for work. face it there are far far more psd trucks that are used every day wether it is farm work, construction, hualing towing you name it guys dont want to break their life line of money. all my friends that have dmaxs and cummins and pull them dont do ANYTHING with them execpt drive them around and pull.

i did forget u could also get a mack V8 i belive?

Old 10-16-2007, 07:18 PM
glasseater
Posting Guru
go to any cummins site and see how many people actually use them for work.. most people say stuff like "wow i finally got to use this for what it's made for!!!" and they're towing 4k lbs....

Last edited by IB Tim; 10-22-2007 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:51 PM
24Vford
Freshman User
this post is going downhill
look at the trucks pulling in the dhra mod class howmany p-strokes
1 and its not a powerstroke anymore with the mods it has

Quick Reply: why don't I see more fords at truck pulls