4.2 idle Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 07:10 PM
s0nnyi6
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.2 idle Problems

I have a 2000 f-150 (2wd 5-speed). Anyway it has been idling up AND down. Ive been reading up on the Idle Air Control Valve in the forums and it seems like everyone who has problems with it there idle goes down. the idle on my truck sometimes goes down to 500 or so but most of the time is more like 2000 or 2500. the only other thing that you should probably know is the motor has just been replace about 30k ago with a jasper. it didn't start acting up until about 5-7k ago. any help you can offer would be great. i don't really want to buy a 100 dollar part if i don't need it. if there is a post like this that i have missed that will be fine or if someone can give me a good search topic. thanks again.

Old 09-01-2007, 04:01 AM
bokker
Senior User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hi, if your motor has been replaced are you able to get spares off the old one.
just a thought try looking for vacuum leaks as these cause mayhem. good luck bokker.

Old 09-02-2007, 08:33 AM
BlueOvalFitter
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation

Disconnect your negative battery cable.Remove the IAC and clean it with a throttle body cleaner.Make sure to stroke the plunger in it; carbon builds up where it seats.Then,clean your throttle body.Use a soft bristle tooth brush to clean the back side of the butterfly and where it seats.Spray it down with throttle body cleaner.Install the IAC,connect the battery,and hopefully your problem is solved.If not,a new IAC is in your future.