Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

4x4 control module (4x4 flash problem)

Old 12-06-2007, 09:45 PM
ClaudeRanger
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long reply but maybe it'll help someone-Had 4WD problem

This is to help future troubleshooters; this is what I went through, but had success! Hope you do to.

I had the same problem with the 4WD going out. I have a 2002 Ranger XLT 4.0 liter. I joined this forum to help others who might have this problem. It helped me to read other’s previous responses; so I thought I’d return the favor.

My problem turned out to be the electronic 4WD Control Module under the kick panel on the passenger’s side. It’s a small box and easy to replace. It’s pretty obvious which box it is because it’s really the only major box there, and says 4X4CM on it.

Here are the symptoms I had:
1) When starting vehicle, the “4WD” and “4WD LOW” lights on dash never illuminate.
2) After turning 4WD switch (**** on dash) there is no response at all, 4WD light on dash never illuminates and no clicking.
3) 4WD will not engage.

Here’s the way it seems to work normally (once I got the part installed and working):
1) When starting vehicle, the “4WD” and “4WD LOW” lights on dash momentarily illuminate right after starter engages and key is released to the “run” position.
2) After turning 4WD switch (**** on dash), 4WD light on dash illuminates and clicking is heard.
3) 4WD engages.
4) By the way, the “4WD” and “4WD LOW” lights aren’t supposed to illuminate when the key is turned to the point right before the starter engages. They only momentarily illuminate AFTER the truck is started. All the other dash lights light BEFORE starter engagement, but not the 4WD for some reason.

Before changing out the CM, I did this (so I didn’t waste $100 on a box I didn’t need):
1) Checked the electrical grounding lugs near the module with a meter.
2) Checked any fuse that said anything remotely about 4WD or powertrain.
3) Checked ALL fuses I could easily check. TIP: The ones that are smaller in size have 2 very small metal points to check with a meter without needing to remove the fuse, this saved a ton of time.
4) Checked the relay under the hood that said something about powertrain control module or PCM (I changed it with the one next to it for the blower), they seemed to be rated the same from what I could tell. I swapped them and tried the 4WD, no change.
5) I had a diode setting on my meter; I checked the powertrain control module diode.

When installing the CM, I disconnected the negative battery terminal first. Also, I’ve had past problems with another vehicle and the loss of the computer memory for idle control. Granted, I don’t know if this applies to the Ranger, but I played it safe so I didn’t have to redo it. So to “relearn idle” I did this:
1) Park vehicle in a place I could let it run for 10 min without moving.
2) Let engine cool several hours to attain a “cold engine”.
3) Disconnect battery negative terminal.
4) Changed CM.
5) Reconnect battery negative terminal.
6) Started vehicle, and let idle in park for 10 min on cold engine to relearn cold idle. Absolutely DO NOT drive or rev engine at all.

Then I put the 4WD on and drove crazily around the neighborhood on the snowy roads. Fixed! Whoo Hoo! Now I can plow my driveway again and save my back! Super Whoo Hoo!

I got the 4WD Control Module at www.directfordparts.com for $98 (plus shipping). The local Ford dealer wanted $185. The local dealer also wanted $80 to diagnose the problem. I had no way to test my CM, but took a gamble and it paid off. Whew!

Good luck everyone with the same problem. It seems to be a common problem w/this vehicle.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:55 PM
ClaudeRanger
New User
part number for CM

Originally Posted by luke21er
Now when you order your control modul. What is the full correct name for it? I was looking for it on directfordparts.com and couldnt find it.
i couldn't find it either on their site, you have to send them an email with old part number and/or VIN. they responded in about 24hrs to me (non-weekend).

Old 01-25-2009, 07:19 PM
danblackwood
New User
Mine is broken. Can't find the module on line. Mine is 1l24-7h473-AH. I have also replaced both rear hub bearings and one front, and the other front is now making noise. But I do have 135k on it.

Old 09-25-2009, 02:51 PM
snookeru2
New User
4x4 control module

I bought a replacement 4x4 control module and the instructions with the CM say to program it prior to installation with the Ford Computer Program. Do I have to take it to a dealer?

Old 09-25-2009, 02:53 PM
snookeru2
New User
does a 4x4 control module require programming prior to installation? There's a warning in the box to program using the Ford Computer Program. Do I have to take to a dealer?

Old 09-26-2009, 07:15 AM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by snookeru2
does a 4x4 control module require programming prior to installation? There's a warning in the box to program using the Ford Computer Program. Do I have to take to a dealer?
My '02 didn't. I plugged it in and off I went.

Old 09-26-2009, 03:13 PM
danblackwood
New User
4x4 CONTROL MODULE

I just unplugged the old one and installed the new one and off I went too. No programming necessary.

Old 11-14-2009, 08:41 PM
BBryan
New User
Thanks to all in this thread. I will be trying this control module replacement.
Will post back with results.

Old 11-15-2009, 05:37 PM
blustang6614
Junior User
4x4 controll module or transfer case shift motor

I have a question to add to the discussion. I have a 2002 xlt with auto 4wd, and recently when I accelerate the drive train seems to buck like gears are binding on me. I am able to switch between auto 4wd, 4 hi and 4 lo without problems. I was able to just unplug the 4x4 control module, essentially putting the explorer into two wheel drive and the problem has stopped. Is there anyway to check if the motor is bad or if the control module is bad without ford charging a crazy amount. With winter coming I would love to be able to use my 4wd without having to pull over to the side of the road and plug in the control module back in. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also I did ask the mechanics at ford and they told me that driving with the module disconnected is safe and should not cause any problems. I have been driving this way for about 3 months now, until I can get the time and money to fix it. Thanks...

Old 11-15-2009, 09:55 PM
snookeru2
New User
4x4 control module

The control module is not located on the passenger side behind the kick panel or the glove box on my 2001 Explorer XLT. Any other suggestions?

Old 11-16-2009, 02:09 PM
BBryan
New User
UPDATE:
I just replaced the 4x4 CM and I'm back in business. I followed the instructions in ClaudeRanger's post and it was a perfect description of the problem and the repair was incredibly simple. The total time of removal of the kick panel to the replacement of the CM and reinstall of the kick panel was under 10 minutes.
So, I saved the diagnostic testing cost and the install from the dealership.Not to mention the time delay in fitting the truck into their schedule.
Gotta love forums like this......THANKS!!!!!

Old 12-11-2009, 09:45 AM
Javamama63
New User
4X4 Flash Problem

I bought a used 2003 Ford Explorer XLT with Auto 4wd in Dec. 2007 (still paying it off). Drove it for all of '08 and part of '09. I took it off the road in May to drive my Kia that gets 30mpg.

I just put the truck back on the road (12/8/09) and when I went to start it (after forgetting for a month) the battery was dead. I charged it, it started and now the 4w high light flashes intermittently. The light will flash 10 times and then go out. This happens every 2.5 minutes. The 4w low seems to work but the Auto & 4w high do not. I bought this truck FOR THE 4WD.......After reading this tread, I will be taking it to Advanced Auto (today) to have them put the meter on it and see what codes come up. I will post them when I get back. I haven't tried disconnecting the battery, to reset it, yet. I will try that once I get back from Advanced Auto. I thank the heavens that it's not the OD light....from what I've been reading that's the equivalent to the "blue screen of death" on your computer. If it is the 4X4 module I will be taking your advice and ordering one today.

Questions: What are the odds this is a fluid issue because I have not topped off the fluids since I put it back on the road? Could it be because I let the battery completely die? Or is this vehicle just a piece of crap?

Thanks

Old 12-13-2009, 11:36 AM
Javamama63
New User
Update: 4X4 High Light blinking

I went to Auto Zone and they said they could not diagnose with the meter unless the service light was on.......so much for that.....I'm now going to try disconnecting the neg battery terminal and see if that works...if not, Monday I'll be order the 4x4 Module part........
Originally Posted by Javamama63
I bought a used 2003 Ford Explorer XLT with Auto 4wd in Dec. 2007 (still paying it off). Drove it for all of '08 and part of '09. I took it off the road in May to drive my Kia that gets 30mpg.

I just put the truck back on the road (12/8/09) and when I went to start it (after forgetting for a month) the battery was dead. I charged it, it started and now the 4w high light flashes intermittently. The light will flash 10 times and then go out. This happens every 2.5 minutes. The 4w low seems to work but the Auto & 4w high do not. I bought this truck FOR THE 4WD.......After reading this tread, I will be taking it to Advanced Auto (today) to have them put the meter on it and see what codes come up. I will post them when I get back. I haven't tried disconnecting the battery, to reset it, yet. I will try that once I get back from Advanced Auto. I thank the heavens that it's not the OD light....from what I've been reading that's the equivalent to the "blue screen of death" on your computer. If it is the 4X4 module I will be taking your advice and ordering one today.

Questions: What are the odds this is a fluid issue because I have not topped off the fluids since I put it back on the road? Could it be because I let the battery completely die? Or is this vehicle just a piece of crap?

Thanks

Old 12-14-2009, 11:29 PM
benniep3737
New User
[QUOTE=lovemy150's;5074339]If you have replaced a 4x4 module in your explorer, please chime in on this thread. I am trying to load up with ammo before I begin discussions with ford on who should replace this junk they put in our vehicles. We shouldn't be the ford field testers when we pay what we do for these vehicles. Last I checked field testers got paid to test.

When posting please note your model year and when the module was replaced.

Hi lovemy150's !!!
I have a 2002 Ford Explorer Sport 4X4, 68,000 Miles and I recently installed a new battery. Short time late I tried to use my 4X4 and it wouldn't engage. After the reading the forums and following ClaudeRanger's instructions, I spent $139.00 on a new CM and replaced it myself and now it works perfect.
Just wondering where you were on your communication with Ford on correcting this 4X4 problem. Was there any callback on this CM?
Thanks for your help,
benniep3737

Old 12-15-2009, 08:11 AM
Javamama63
New User
Where is the 4X4 CM on a 2003 Ford Explorer XLT? The car did not come with an owners manual. BTW - yesterday the 4W High light stopped flashing. I fear that if I try to put it into 4WD it will get stuck.

Thanks

My Vehicle: 2003 Ford Explorer XLT with Auto 4wd

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4x4 control module (4x4 flash problem)