Performance in a nutshell?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2001, 01:51 PM
phil cassidy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-Feb-01 AT 02:53 PM (EST)[/font][p]Okay, so I have spend a fair bit of time reading numerous posts on this site and have come to the following conclusions. Please correct me if they are in fact delusions. First a bit about my truck. It is a 1999 F-150 v6 5 spd, supercab 4x2 XLT. I went with a basic drive train on purpose. Who needs to pay bucks for 4x4 for 3% of the motoring time it would be convenient? Why the two extra cylinders when the v6 has almost as much power and I think more torque? On the impractical side, it is that really nice medium toredore red! Anyway, I put on 265 x 75 x 16 Firestone Wilderness (I know, I know...but they wouldn't take them back, wrong serial number plant and manufacturing date) because the 255 wranglers that came with it were no good on anything but dry pave. Here comes the question. Having lost some performance/power to the larger tires, and not being entirly sure that I am in fact getting better fuel economy because I think the engine is working harder, I have the following options to increase power without sacrificing economy:

1. k&n air filter 10% improvement?
2. chip it, 10% increase also with no discernable difference between the two chips performance wise, though the Diablo will fit into the box while the superchip will not without tape (I think that is funny!)
3. Bigger exhaust ?% increase and debateable sound improvement, (I am leary about this one because I put a bigger pipe and muffler on my 3.9 litre Dakota and it only got louder; seemed to loose power actually)

At about $100.00 Cdn. the filter looks like the best option with the least monkeying around. How irrate will Ford get about their warranty and the possible chip change and exhaust mod? THe adage goes if it ain't broke...but I would like to regain my lost performance and perhaps improve if practicable. Do I have this right? Are these the changes to make in order of easiness and practicality?

Incidentaly, Since it all comes down to more gas and O2 in the cylinder, one personal modifcation that did accomplish this with out making any changes to my truck at all was thicker soled shoes!! Hmmmm...maybe if I built up the gas pedal...

Phil

Old 02-21-2001, 03:08 PM
gwuister
Senior User

My .02 - the best bang for buck would be to forget about all those options as they really don't work as great as advertised and to change out your present gear ratio to 4.10. Best thing I ever did. Lots more pull, easier to drive, less shifting necessary, and believe it or not better gas mileage ( a little, like 1-1.5 mpg) Best $600 I have spent. -greg

Old 05-03-2001, 10:45 PM
sweet82
Senior User

Iwent and helped my DAD pick out his truck when we pulled in the FORD lot I seen that toreador red long bed walked up to it and
seen the 5 speed yeah we left with that toreador red long bed 4.2 v6 5 speed XL LOVE THAT TRUCK and the paint

1982 F100 SWB 3.8 v6 3 on the tree
1969 vw 1500cc autostick
351 winser waiting for the 82

Old 05-08-2001, 11:29 PM
sweet82
Senior User

Old 02-06-2006, 01:06 PM
XBrandonDaBomB
New User
Talking

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 418113" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>gwuister</TD><TD class=alt2>My .02 - the best bang for buck would be to forget about all those options as they really don't work as great as advertised and to change out your present gear ratio to 4.10. Best thing I ever did. Lots more pull, easier to drive, less shifting necessary, and believe it or not better gas mileage ( a little, like 1-1.5 mpg) Best $600 I have spent. -greg</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I have a quick question and I may sound totally retarded. Having heard a lot about changing the gear ratio I want to find out where exactly it's located (the gear) and how hard would it be to change out. I've got a 01 F150 XL - 5 speed - 158,000 and going stronger than ever!

Thanks for your time and hope my question isn't a stupid one

Brandon

Old 02-06-2006, 02:50 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Brandon,
I see you are fairly new to FTE. Welcome and glad you joined us here in the 4.2 forum.

WOW ! Talking about bringing a thread back from the dead !!
Original post date Feb 2001 !

Good job!

ANyways, the rear end gear is located in the differential. That's the thing that the rear axels and driveshaft all terminate in to.
The gear is a ring and pinion gear.
Here, lets see if this will work:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential3.htm

If it did you should be able to see a ring and pinion gear at work.
I would not suggest doing the job yourself. If it is something you decide you want to do, pay and have it done by someone who knows what they are doing.

Again, glad to have you here and there was nothing wrong whatsoever with your question.

edit: you can also search Howstuffworks for "gear ratios" to get some more nifty info.