N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

Ahhh Someone Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 07:22 PM
Skandocious
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ahhh Someone Help!!!

So I've been looking for a 4x4 351 truck in the 92-97 era with a 5 speed manual transmission, so I can swap the 5speed into my truck, but the search has been TOUGH!! They are just not out there, all the 5-speeds have 460's, which won't bolt to my 351.

On to the good stuff...

I finally found a 93 F250 351 4x4 5-speed on craiglist!! The woman is asking $1500 but is negotiable if I can bring cash (which I can). Problem is, it's in Penngrove near Santa Rosa, and I don't have my truck right now.

Is anybody located near Santa Rosa who'd wanna drive up to check it out for me tonight? She says she already has several people interested in the truck so if I'm getting it I have to get it probably tonight!!! Asking a HUGE favor here, I know, but I would be willing to compensate anybody who could help me out. Here's the thread:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/car/405273031.html

Thanks guys.

Old 08-24-2007, 07:48 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Someone else may need to chime in here, but why can't you use the tranny from a 460? Can't you just get a different bellhousing, or are they intergal to the tranny?

Sorry, SR is a big drive for me...but I will be up there in mid October of it's still around

Old 08-24-2007, 09:25 PM
Skandocious
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm pretty sure this thing will be gone by tonight or tomorrow.

As for the bellhousing, I think it's integral. I forget why but I remember discussing it on my forum about how the zf from a 7.3L or 7.5L big block will not work for what I'm trying to do. I might be able to change the bell housing but I'm really not looking to add more work to this project. Any takers?

Old 08-25-2007, 12:48 AM
Navy Jet Mech
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you spot any around Frsno, let me know! I'll look when I get a chance, too.

Old 08-25-2007, 09:29 AM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry I didn't see this last night, you should have PM'd me...Penngrove is only a little more than an hour a way from me. On the other hand, it would have been pretty tough for me to get away from here last night, had way too much to do.

The tranny is probably an M5R1 which does indeed have an integral bellhousing. So does the ZF, and it was available in the smallblock pattern. In fact, the tranny builder who's working on the project truck tranny has a one laying on the floor of his shop right now. It's a core and needs to be rebuilt, but it's also 4X2, not 4X4. The tailshaft and housing would need to be changed to make it work.

But why buy a whole truck just for the tranny? It would take a bit of scrounging but all the parts you'd need could be found. Trans w/transfer case adapter, (you should be able to use your exsiting T-case) flywheel and clutch, pedal assembly w/master cylinder (it's hydraulic clutch) and maybe a few other related odds 'n ends like the pilot bearing. Very do-able, I think my local wrecking yard has most of the stuff you'd need and for considerably less than 1500 bucks...