Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
V10???

Old 03-01-2002, 11:12 AM
Scratchy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post V10???

Just subscribed to this site but have been reading your posts for a long time---really love this site!!!!....and have a basic question:
I live in Northern Va (lots of traffic) and was wondering what you guys think about your V10's as opposed to the diesels??? I have been debating this for a long time and am leaning toward the V10 because of the short trips I take and that fact that I don't pull anything---I just want something w/tons of power that can survive my congested environment....what do you think?? and thanks for your input!!!

Old 03-01-2002, 07:24 PM
NoMo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
V10???

Welcome to the site.

Well, you just asked the $4000 question that has been debated more than any political subject in history. Everyone has their opinion of gas vs diesel, so I'll just say that you should drive both and buy the one you like the best. All of the engines are great.

Oh, for more heated opinions, you might try a search here and up in the Super Duty/Heavy Duty forums. Plenty of good/bad reasons for either engine choice.

Old 03-01-2002, 09:13 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

V10???

Come on NoMo!!

Dude, get the V10. Yer not towing. Save your cash. In fact, take the money you saved and put it towards some mods! You'll have lotsa a horseys in there then!!!

NoMo... I thought sure you'd sell him on the mighty V10!! Diesel guys don't come down here much! We can speak the truth without all those guys puttin' up a front!

Old 03-01-2002, 09:26 PM
Ron_Renita
Freshman User
V10???

I debated the same thing for a long time. I do a lot of short trip driving, (5 miles one way to work) some occasional long trips and pull the camper whenever I get a chance (not often enough!!). I finally took the current fuel prices (diesel was and is higher than gas here), extra cost of oil changes and estimated average fuel mileages from both engines for my type of driving. What I came up with was for MY NEEDS AND TYPE OF DRIVING it would take 100,000+ miles to pay off the diesel. My wife summed it up nicely, "That extra $4000 will buy a helluva lot of gas, and we wont have to pay interest on it"
Drive them both, your the only one that can decide what you really need/want. I love the V-10 and don't regret getting it for a minute, but would say the same thing if I had gotten a 'stroke.

Disclaimer:
The above information is not to be taken as a strike against the oilburners. I drive one at work and for what that truck has to do it's the only way to go.
'02 F-350 XLT 4X2 CC SRW V-10 6sp 4.30 Az. Beige

Old 03-01-2002, 09:33 PM
NoMo
Postmaster
V10???

OK, the non-"PC" answer for those that don't tow heavy loads for long distances...

Get the V10. It takes a turbo-charged diesel with huge displacement to even come close to the power of the mightiest Triton gas engine. Plus, not only will you save the $4000 in up-front costs, the V10 is much cheaper to maintain. It only takes 6 quarts of oil and requires no fuel or coolant additives. Plus, fuel filters for gas engines get changed every 30,000 miles instead of every 5,000 for the PSD. And don't believe all those outlandish PSD mileage stories- only a handful of feather-footed grandpa drivers get high-teens MPG.

Now, if that doesn't spark some , I don't know what will. ;-)

Old 03-01-2002, 09:38 PM
NoMo
Postmaster
V10???

OK- back to being "PC"...

If you tow heavy loads for long distances or just drive a lot of miles, then you might look at getting the PSD. It's a good engine that should last 300,000 miles or more with proper maintenance. Also, being turbo-charged, it's great for all-around performance at high altitude.

Old 03-02-2002, 12:37 AM
Senior User
V10???

Nice Job!

Old 03-02-2002, 04:41 PM
350R
Junior User
V10???

"Also, being turbo-charged, it's great for all-around performance at high altitude."

Exactly the reason I should have went PSD (altitude) but I didn't. Now for reality since I have put on a Flowmaster and a Diablo chip I am very happy with it, and still haven't spent that $4000 extra for the PSD. I haven't had a chance to load it up since I made the changes just a couple of weeks ago, the snow is to deep to play with my toys up at that altitude. Although I do live at 6400Ft. which isn't all that low by some standards, we just consider it normal here.

I also have 1.8T Jetta, I never thought that I would ever buy the smallest motor that a manufacture offers living at this altitude, but with the turbo that little motor really rips. I tried to talk the wife into no muffler and chip for HER Jetta but since its hers I have to leave it alone. I just don't see why she wouldn't want about 45 more HP.

Old 03-02-2002, 07:17 PM
highretrun
New User
V10???

I have both and for your situation I would go with the V10. Mileage will be worse but like others pointed out you have to go past 100k or more to make up the difference plus it is more $$ to maintain the diesel. I love my truck but when I drive the wife's X with the V10 I love it. Quiet with plenty of get up and go. I would only go with the diesel if you are going to tow a lot or tow something big. My truck is perfect for towing the boat but would rather drive the V10 the rest of the time. They are sweet. I can't wait do more to mine or I should say the wife's V10.

Old 03-02-2002, 08:16 PM
Outpost22
Posting Guru
V10???

Ditto to what the rest of the guys said. I too make a lot of short trips. The V10 is better for these as is the 5.4.
The other thing nobody is telling you is that these V10's are really nice and quiet. That can be a real benefit when you're tired and don't want to listen to "tractor clatter" when you're driving. Now THAT ought to start a

Old 03-03-2002, 10:26 AM
HD Power
Junior User
V10???

Hey Scratchy, I battle the same No. Va. traffic that you do and I battle it quite nicely with my V-10 . I had a 2000 Super Duty with the diesel and it never had enough time to warm up (10 minute trip to work) and it just didn't work for me . Get the V-10, it's runs great but don't expect to get great mileage...maybe 9-12 in town depending on how you drive. Remember, it's a truck not an econo-box, I didn't buy this huge beast to worry about fuel mileage. Have a good one !

Old 03-03-2002, 10:01 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

V10???

I've been thinking about this all day. In fact I wrote something but didn't put much thought to it...

I said that "he's not towing". NoMo went on to say something of the same. Even if he was towing. What difference does that make?

Can not the V10 haul heavy loads (up to it's rated cap.) long distances? Last time I looked a Class-C RV is one heavy *******. Most are equipped with V10's.

Now, I do feel that at the pump the PSD will win. So, all I'm sayings is the only arguement I see is fuel economy. We shouldn't be so quick to sell out the mighty V10 when it comes to towing and longevity.

Old 03-04-2002, 07:37 AM
Scratchy
New User
V10???

Hey, just wanted to thank you guys for all the info...you definitely made me feel better about my choice (V10)!!!...now I just have to pull the trigger!!!

Thanks again!!!
Scratchy

Old 03-04-2002, 09:31 AM
NoMo
Postmaster
V10???

>I said that "he's not towing". NoMo went on to say something
>of the same. Even if he was towing. What difference does
>that make?

We were stating what's "best" (in our opinions). The "best" is crucial because either engine can do what is asked of it. But, for short-mileage trips, a gasser is best. For long-haul towing, the PSD is best. BTW, I don't even believe the diesel MPG argument at all. I think the cost of operation (oil, filters, additives, etc.) offset any fuel savings. It's just that the PSD (any diesel) is awsome for OTR type work.

Quick Reply: V10???