pushing the V10 to the limit

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2001, 12:43 AM
SVO
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post pushing the V10 to the limit

monsta,
First of all, no offense taken,and second yes the airbox on the ford f-250 is that restrictive why dont you go out and purchase a Fipk and see for yourself, you have in the factory set up a box that has a very small opening for air to travel thru and the you got a thick paper filter to suck thru and then you got a3.5 inch rubber hose it all has to go down, the rubber if you run your fingers over it has resistance it causes the air to swirl around and hence more vacumm to pull the air in, even you should understand that. I did not believe a filter change alone was good for 10 hp but I seen it my own two eyes, when i find the dyno papers and graph I will post them I thought even about taking the truck to the dyno again but since the FIPK I have put a mass airflow senser,throttle body, power tower diablo chip, and 10 hotter coil paks .I have not had my truck on the dyno in almost a year but I am intrested to see how much more hp/torque I have now. and third if you think ford is in a horsepower war with chevy you are wrong if that was the case they would of gave the mustang gt 300 hp along time ago as you know it is not horsepower that moves a truck it is the torque and also the box , filter clamp and rubber hose only cost ford about 25.00 to put on a truck the k&n kit would cost ford around 250.00 because they wont sell at a discount and ford is only intrested in the bottom line cost not horsepower.also starting in 1999 the f-150 ,250 ,350 are all under the same emission standards if you will look it up it is called the light truck emmission standards

Old 12-14-2001, 08:29 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

why dont
>you go out and purchase a Fipk and see for yourself,
I'm waitin for real proof of gains before I throw down $250.00 for an intake kit.
>even you
>should understand that.
No need to be nasty.
>as you know it is not horsepower that
>moves a truck it is the torque
Horsepower is a figure derived from torque
>and also the box , filter
>clamp and rubber hose only cost ford about 25.00 to put on a
>truck the k&n kit would cost ford around 250.00 because they
>wont sell at a discount
I'm not disputing that fact that cost could come into the equation, in fact other posts of mine deal with that very issue. But I stand firm, until I see evidence of real gains, that an intake can't give you 25hp at the wheels. If I am wrong please show me. I'm man enough to take it. I just don't think Ford would give up the HP (ok TRQ) wars due to a lousy $25 intake. (I don't know nothin' about mustangs, so i can't comment on that arguement...) I guess all I'm saying is that i want to see the proof. If your right, I'll meet ya at the flagpole at sunrise...

Old 12-14-2001, 11:01 AM
NoMo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

>... .also starting in 1999 the
>f-150 ,250 ,350 are all under the same emission standards if
>you will look it up it is called the light truck emmission
>standards

I have to disagree with this statement. You won't find nearly as much emissions equipment on an F250/F350 as you will on an F150. I've owned an '00 F150, '00 F250, and now an '01 F350. Neither of the Super Duty trucks have had an EGR system. About the only emissions equipment they have is a catalytic converter and a vapor recovery canister. In fact, the certification label (under hood) even states it is for a HEAVY DUTY engine/truck.

Having said that, there are some states (obviously California) that do require "more" emissions equipment than other states. If you live in one of these more strict areas, you will have an EGR system. That's why Ford has a subset of specifications for "California emissions" Super Duty trucks.

Old 12-15-2001, 10:21 AM
Senior User

'There is no truth, there are no facts, only data to be manipulated'

(close approximation to the lyrics of a previously popular song)

Old 12-15-2001, 12:20 PM
NoMo
Postmaster

Old 12-17-2001, 12:02 PM
V10gunner
Senior User

Dyno numbers for the Banks Stinger system (air intake *and* 3.5" cat back) indicate rear wheel gains of 26.8 HP and 32.0 lb.ft of torque. SVO's numbers with the FIPK sound TGTBT. Were all the conditions (temp, humidity, etc.) the same when performing the dyno run before and after installation??

Old 12-17-2001, 01:18 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

>Dyno numbers for the Banks Stinger system (air intake *and*
>3.5" cat back) indicate rear wheel gains of 26.8 HP and 32.0
>lb.ft of torque.
V10gunner, you put the Stinger sysem on your truck?! I was thinking of the doing it. Are those YOUR numbers posted?

Old 12-17-2001, 01:26 PM
V10gunner
Senior User

Whoops, shoulda qualified the dyno numbers- they are the published figures from Banks (www.bankspower.com). I'll be installing the Stinger Sytem in February after Dubya sends me my taxes back.

Sorry for the confusion.

Old 12-30-2001, 10:24 AM
john z
Junior User

I took yet another look at the Intake system on my 2000 V10 Excursion. It looks pretty generous to me. Do all V10's have the same one? Perhaps the 99 lower HP v10's are just eager to be stepped up to the newer 310hp ratings. Also, Air intake is the one engine mod that might not be accurate on a stationary dyno. Even though the air intake seems to get lost in the radiator moounting somewhere, there is probably >some< amount of positive air pressure there when the vehicle is moving. This pressure might serve to minimize any differences in air filters.
I've said it before, I'll say it again. If there were such big HP gains to be made with paper & plastic changes, surely the mfrs would be there. They seem to >LOVE< paper & plastic nowadays!!!!!!
If there is any improvement to be found on the V10 it looks to me like the exhaust manifolds should be questioned. They >DO< look mighty small!!!

Old 12-30-2001, 04:49 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 30-Dec-01 AT 05:51&nbsp;PM (EST)]>Even though the air intake seems to get
>lost in the radiator moounting somewhere, there is probably
>>some< amount of positive air pressure there when the
>vehicle is moving. This pressure might serve to minimize any
>differences in air filters.

When I look at mine I actually wonder how in the h*ll air gets in there. It ends right in front of a cover next to the radiator. I don't think you'll get ANY positive pressure there. If you could remove that hunk o' plastic and metal and then have the right side grill opening serve as a sorta "ram air" intake, then I could see the airbox being pressurized, albeit quite small.

> I've said it before, I'll say it again. If there were
>such big HP gains to be made with paper & plastic changes,
>surely the mfrs would be there. They seem to >LOVE< paper &
>plastic nowadays!!!!!!

Amen! Emphasize, BIG HP. No doubt you gain some (read:small)with aftermarket filters but where is it really in the powerband...up top. I don't really need it there. Now, my Kawasaki ZX-7R is a different story.

> If there is any improvement to be found on the V10 it looks
>to me like the exhaust manifolds should be questioned. They
>>DO< look mighty small!!!

I've got a great idea, john z. First off, I agree about the manifolds wholeheartly! But together we can PROVE to everyone here that it is true. Banks make a really awesome set of headers. They call 'em Torque tubes. I will be willing to let you put some on my truck!! Really, man, I'M SERIOUS! I'll try 'em out and report back to all the V10 owners out there how they perform. And listen, I'll do it for FREE. Yes, you heard right; FREE. Hey, I know it's a sacrifice but I'm willing to do it in the name of performance enhancement exploration.
Hey, what are you laughing for? It'll be great! Ah, come on! John z come back...don't leave!...aw crap......

HEY all you V10 owners out there, I've got a GREAT idea for ya!

Old 12-30-2001, 06:58 PM
john z
Junior User

Monsta, you've already made changes to your truck, so installing the free headers might not be a valid scientific sample. On the other hand, I haven't made any changes to >MY< truck yet. Further, if you have a nice place for me to park my Excursion & Travel Trailer I'd even be willing to come by next August and show you how they look. (full hook-ups required).......

Old 12-31-2001, 11:13 AM
NoMo
Postmaster

Now you guys know that Banks just reports numbers on Super Duty trucks... so you'll just have to bring those headers down to my place and I'll let you install & try them out on my unmodified truck. Then we can see if Bank's numbers are accurate.

And, to show you just how nice a guy I can be, you won't even have to stay at my place. I know this terrific lake that isn't extremely busy and has some excellent crappie fishin'.

Old 12-31-2001, 12:13 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

john z, don't trust anybody from OK. My deal is better. First off, I haven't modified my truck yet. You see, that's where you come in. I got all the hook-ups you need + satellite TV. PLUS, I'll let you watch my 4 kids while my wife and I go back to my homestate of Hawaii. That way I won't be in your way while you install those headers.

What's that? No deal?! Daggum...You'd rather go fishin'? Man...you win NoMo.

Old 12-31-2001, 08:03 PM
Jughead
Senior User

A little patience for the new guy here, but will adding the K&N FIPK system affect the factory warranty?

Old 12-31-2001, 09:04 PM
NoMo
Postmaster

>john z, don't trust anybody from OK.
ain't that the truth!

Hey Jughead!
Technically, there shouldn't be any problems. However, any time you modify your vehicle, there are risks. While I think it'd be OK with my local service dept., my concern is breaking down out on the road and having to get service from a "foreign" dealership that just might have an entire staff of anti-performance aftermarket-hating butt-knockers that are looking for ANY reason to void someones warranty.

Quick Reply: pushing the V10 to the limit