1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What one do you have
Equal-i-zer
45.00%
dual cam hitch
22.50%
Hensley Arrow
10.00%
The one that came with the trailer
22.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-18-2014, 11:39 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Towing and Hauling Guides
Print Wikipost

Cant stop the trailer sway!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 09:49 PM
weekendwarriorfsw32
Master of Strokes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by blackhat620
Have you weighed your truck and trailer on a CAT scale to determine axle weights on the truck & trailer and total weight?

Does your trailer sway get worse as you increase speed?
YES
At what speed does the trailer sway begin?
55 and up
Have you pulled your trailer empty without sway?
The trailer is even worse with out a load
Where are the fresh, grey and black water tanks located on the trailer?
In front of the axle
What tongue weight do you have when you weigh your loaded trailer with the "Sherline Scale"?
If you have to much weight on the rear axle of your Excursion, this can cause handling problems as well since you will be overloading the tires and suspension, leading to poor handling tow vehicle and trailer.

The sway control hitches are designed to reduce trailer sway of a properly loaded trailer that is caused by wind and passing vehicles. A sway control hitch is only a band-aid on an improperly loaded trailer. Once you get your truck and trailer properly balanced, The Equalizer or Reese Dual Cam will do a good job of preventing trailer sway do to wind and passing vehicles etc.
So should I move the weight around. ( the answers are in the quote),
Nick

Last edited by weekendwarriorfsw32; 08-22-2007 at 09:51 PM.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:32 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nick,

Okay since you are having severe swaying issues with the trailer empty and configured as it came from the manufacture, then something in the axle or tongue geometry is more than likely messed up.

First thing i would do is make an appointment with your RV dealer and take the empty trailer and truck back to the RV dealer and road test it with them. Then tell them to fix the problem or give you a new trailer. Any trailer that sways from the manufacture is unsafe and needs to be corrected ASAP. If per chance the RV dealer insalled a flip kit on the axles they may have done this incorrectly.

Once the trailer tows properly empty then you can work on balancing the load you add.

IMO do not load and use this trailer until it will tow and track properly empty.

Old 08-22-2007, 11:53 PM
weekendwarriorfsw32
Master of Strokes

The delar is 1,000 miles away. We have never towed empty before. I forgot it had a full tank of water,
Nick

Old 08-23-2007, 12:20 AM
Renegade-Diesel
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nick, Sorry didn't get back to you sooner, Just got home from work. You have received some very good advice in the posts above. You have got to remember before you can do anything to even attempt to correct this problem is start from step one. I worked for an RV dealer for almost 5 years, installing hitches, doing anything needed to the trailers and motorhomes and even built trailers for hauling race cars, motorcycles, and equipment. If you want to contact me I work from noon to midnight. I am usually up by 8am. I check my emails and stuff and try to hit the sack by 1:30. Depending what machine I am running I can sometimes hear my cell rang at work, and could call you over my lunch. If there is a true problem with the trailer then you can talk to th dealer about another unit. You cannot just go back and demand he gives you another one.I am sure there is a way to get my cell number to you with out sending it worldwide but I am just about spent tonight. If I canfigure it out in the morning I will do it then. I have set up 30 to 40 trailers that are towed without any sway bars. I think that we should be able to help yours. Later, Skip

Old 08-23-2007, 01:10 AM
wallboyz
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nick, It seems to me by the picture you have included in your Avatar that the front end of the truck is riding high. My experience is that if you play with the distrution bars to move the wieght towards the front axle you will see a hanlding difference.

With an unladen truck take a tape measure and measure the top of the wheel well by the front tire and the back. Attach your trailer and draw bars and measure it again. If they are set up correctly you should not see more than a 1 or 2 difference front to back. Also, be sure the overall trailer has a balance look, not too high or low in front. Keep adjusting the chains and ball if needed. Remember, crank the tralier post up so you are actually lifting the truck with it and then attach the chains. This is a no cost fix so be sure to try it, what do you have to lose?

Also, I drag a heavy 21ft Ragen behind me and have a Draw-Tight Sway bar that I adjust for primarily for windy conditions. It does help when the air dam form those 18 wheelers pushes you.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:39 AM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Originally Posted by weekendwarriorfsw32
The delar is 1,000 miles away. We have never towed empty before. I forgot it had a full tank of water,
Nick
It still shouldn't sway like that with only the water tank full.

Did you pick it up at the dealer and drive it home empty, how did you get the trailer home?

First thing you need to do is get it setup towing empty, then add weight and balance it.

See if you can find a reputable RV place close to were you live and take it to them, demonstrate the problem and then see if they can help you correct it.

Other thing you need to do is find a CAT scale close by and go weigh your truck and empty trailer so you can have a base line of axle weights and total weight. This will help you in setting up the balance. CAT scales only charge about $10 for you to weigh your rig.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:42 AM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Renegade-Diesel
I am sure there is a way to get my cell number to you with out sending it worldwide but I am just about spent tonight. If I can figure it out in the morning I will do it then. Later, Skip
Skip,

Click on Nicks user name and select send PM, then send him your cell number this way and it will not be posted for the world to see.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:44 AM
greythorn3
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
trailer sway

I used to have trailer sway really bad tell i quit drinking..

Ray

Old 08-23-2007, 07:24 AM
redford
Received 1,630 Likes on 954 Posts
Originally Posted by wallboyz
Nick, It seems to me by the picture you have included in your Avatar that the front end of the truck is riding high. ....
It does appear that the truck is nose high and the trailer is low on the nose. That will cause swaying.

Also, hard to tell from the picture, but have the trailer axles been flipped on that trailer to raise it up? If so, that raises the center of gravity and can cause some spooky handling.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:55 AM
Kep4
Jäger
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Your WW trailer, very similar to my FSC 2800, has dual 75 gallon water tanks mounted forward of the axles. If they are full, 1,250 pounds of water, and the trailer is empty then you're tongue weight is way too high, especially if the trailer is not towed perfectly level.

You may want to check the axle U-bolts/nuts to ensure they are tight.

Where do you live in Kali? There's a WW service center in Montclair off the 10 freeway at Mountain, just East of the 57 freeway.

I have a Hensley Arrow on my trailer and it works very well. The 1,400# load bars are adjustable so I can easily compensate for the load in the trailer including the water tanks. It also practically eliminates trailer sway when passing or being passed by big rigs on the highway. It's expensive but I love the way it handles my trailer.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:27 PM
weekendwarriorfsw32
Master of Strokes

The picture in the avtar is my other truck towing it not the one the usaly tows it. The white truck is the 00 the one that tows is is the 04 in my galery.
Nick
Originally Posted by wallboyz
Nick, It seems to me by the picture you have included in your Avatar that the front end of the truck is riding high. My experience is that if you play with the distrution bars to move the wieght towards the front axle you will see a hanlding difference.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:31 PM
weekendwarriorfsw32
Master of Strokes

Originally Posted by redford
It does appear that the truck is nose high and the trailer is low on the nose. That will cause swaying.

Also, hard to tell from the picture, but have the trailer axles been flipped on that trailer to raise it up? If so, that raises the center of gravity and can cause some spooky handling.
Yes the trailer axles have been flipped from the factory. Tonight i will go take pic of the trailer and put the in my gallery for you to see,
Nick

Old 08-23-2007, 08:01 PM
weekendwarriorfsw32
Master of Strokes

Originally Posted by Renegade-Diesel
Nick, Sorry didn't get back to you sooner, Just got home from work. You have received some very good advice in the posts above. You have got to remember before you can do anything to even attempt to correct this problem is start from step one. I worked for an RV dealer for almost 5 years, installing hitches, doing anything needed to the trailers and motorhomes and even built trailers for hauling race cars, motorcycles, and equipment. If you want to contact me I work from noon to midnight. I am usually up by 8am. I check my emails and stuff and try to hit the sack by 1:30. Depending what machine I am running I can sometimes hear my cell rang at work, and could call you over my lunch. If there is a true problem with the trailer then you can talk to th dealer about another unit. You cannot just go back and demand he gives you another one.I am sure there is a way to get my cell number to you with out sending it worldwide but I am just about spent tonight. If I canfigure it out in the morning I will do it then. I have set up 30 to 40 trailers that are towed without any sway bars. I think that we should be able to help yours. Later, Skip
I might be able to call you tomorrw is that good mambe aroun 2 let me know,
Nick

Old 08-24-2007, 12:12 PM
weekendwarriorfsw32
Master of Strokes

Could the trailer axles be to far fowar from the factory,
Nick

Old 08-24-2007, 03:45 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Originally Posted by weekendwarriorfsw32
Could the trailer axles be to far fowar from the factory,
Nick
Axle location is determined by the loaded CG of the trailer when the engineer designs it. It is possible that the axles are in the wrong location, but generally the manufactures use a jig to locate components and so it is highly unlikely they are placed incorrectly on your trailer unless this is a common problem with this trailer.

One thing you can check on your axles is measure back from the same point on the front of the trailer to each axle on each side to determine if the axles are mounted square to the frame and tracking properly.

I notice you said the axles were flipped, did the manufacture flip the axles at the factory or did the RV dealer flip the axles? Reason i ask is when the axles are flipped the orientation of the axle must be manintained as the axles are cambered and if the axle orientation is changed and the camber is wrong it will cause handling problems.

If you have not done it yet hook up your trailer and weigh your truck and trailer empty at a CAT scale to get baseline axle weights and total weight. This will help you set up your trailer. You are then going to want to weigh your truck and trailer when fully loaded and ready to go, to determine proper axle loads and balance.

Quick Reply: Cant stop the trailer sway!!!!!