Sponsored by:

Bike Rack

Old 08-21-2007, 02:49 AM
limerence
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bike Rack

Hello,

I am looking to get a bike rack for my 94 bronco. Since I did not want to do a roof rack, the two choices would be spare tire mount or hitch mount. Since I heard the hitch mount would be sturdier, I've been looking at a couple of different models. I focused in on the Thule Revolver and Yakima FullSwing. These swing away and also do not require you to take off the bikes like the drop down models do. I wanted to ask if anyone was able to mount either one of these on their bronco given that the spare tire on the bronco swings out as well and might get in the way of the bike rack.

Thanks,
John

Old 08-21-2007, 11:28 AM
jbondi
Senior User
Originally Posted by limerence
Hello,

I am looking to get a bike rack for my 94 bronco. Since I did not want to do a roof rack, the two choices would be spare tire mount or hitch mount. Since I heard the hitch mount would be sturdier, I've been looking at a couple of different models. I focused in on the Thule Revolver and Yakima FullSwing. These swing away and also do not require you to take off the bikes like the drop down models do. I wanted to ask if anyone was able to mount either one of these on their bronco given that the spare tire on the bronco swings out as well and might get in the way of the bike rack.

Thanks,
John
John,
I, too, have a 94 Bronco and went with the hitch mount bike rack from Hollywood Racks. I had to make some minor modifications for the rack to clear the spare tire, but it works and the rack tilts down. Good luck.

Joe

Old 08-21-2007, 09:14 PM
blue beast
Posting Guru
Put a receiver on the front bumper and hang them off the front! Then if they do get loose or fall off you'll see it and only have your self to blame if they get run over!! Hehehehe Plus you will be able to back a trailer darn near anywhere without help!!

Old 08-22-2007, 01:30 AM
limerence
Senior User
Joe - what modifications did you have to do? part of me is thinking to just take off the spare and put it in the cargo area but man... sucks just losing that space. i might try to get a pretty long hitch extender and see if that would work and give enough clearance for the bike rack from the spare tire.

blue beast - that would be tough man... cause i want to get four bikes and wouldn't it impede my vision at all? and with the trailer, i could just get a double hitch adapter where it would give me two hitches in the back.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:40 AM
jbondi
Senior User
Originally Posted by limerence
Joe - what modifications did you have to do? part of me is thinking to just take off the spare and put it in the cargo area but man... sucks just losing that space. i might try to get a pretty long hitch extender and see if that would work and give enough clearance for the bike rack from the spare tire.

blue beast - that would be tough man... cause i want to get four bikes and wouldn't it impede my vision at all? and with the trailer, i could just get a double hitch adapter where it would give me two hitches in the back.
I had to get a hitch extender. For the rack, I had to extend the threaded rod that you attach to the hitch pin.

Old 08-24-2007, 12:03 AM
cajunland
Freshman User
I got a hitch exteneder from jc whitney. it works great. give plenty of clearance for the spare w/ my bike rack and when i us it w/ my hitch hauler