No tail lights/dashlights

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 10:34 PM
IHI
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No tail lights/dashlights

93 F250 4x4, just had a new crate engine installed this week after sitting since plowing was done with this spring, figured i drive it around a bit before unleashing it to the crew to make sure all the bugs are worked out of it...and kinda broke in before they break it again.

anyways, leaving the track tonight (first time I needed headlights since we got it back) I have no dash lights, and based off my other ford truck, i knew I probably did'nt have tailights, pulled over and sure enough..no taillights. Stopped at the gas station under lights to check fuses, both in cab and under hood were all good..hmmmm, now where do i look? brake lights and turn signals work, just no running lights/tailights? Could it be in the trailer plug harness? would think that would blow a fuse, but all fuses are good, i even changed the few that pertained to this with new ones to rule out "weird/faulty" fuses. Also noticed with headlight switch in off postion I can read radio display, when I turn the headlight switch on, the radio display goes dead...still works tunage wise, just cant see the clock/radio station.

Where do I go now to fix this?

Thanks
Josh

Old 08-17-2007, 11:03 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,376 Posts
Pull the headlight switch and check the wiring. Sometimes it overheats around the plug and the wires burn up. You can also verify if you have voltage there. The voltage comes in on a tan/white wire, and leaves on a dark brown wire to feed all the running lights. The headlights, though in the same switch, are fed by a seperate power feed.

Old 08-18-2007, 04:40 AM
IHI
Senior User
Sweet, i'ff get on that tomorrow and see what happens. worst part was i got pulled over, leaving the race track when i found out about this, figured i jump over and hit the gravel to come home....would'nt ya know it, just happen to pass a state trooper about 4 miles from the gravel road LOL!! I pulled over before I even seen his brake lights, he pulled up and was kinda laughing about "do you know why I pulled ya over?" told him i was try'n to limp it to gravel to get home, all he wanted was the hazards put on, no problem officer

Old 08-19-2007, 08:45 PM
IHI
Senior User
Just a follow up, went and got a new light switch today, $14.95/borg-Warn lifetime warranty. Pulled the old switch out, went to install new light switch and seen a big brown wire was loose outside of the factory plastic plug where all the wires are attached to as one that plugs into the switch. looked at the pin on the old switch and sure enough, it was dark dark colored when compared to the other brass terminals, plastic where that brass pin was is all bubbled up, so obviously it got hot. Took and used my pliers to "tweak" that female end on the factory brown wire and plugged it back into the factory block and then into new light switch. good as new, have dash lights and tailights again.