Kansas Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Flip4ford

Body Lift Install Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 06:35 PM
huskerpower02
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Body Lift Install Help!

I'm looking for someone with the know-how to help me and a friend with a body lift install. My friends dad has a lift on his farm in Mclouth with quite the selection of tools so accesability wouldn't be a problem.

I know it's a long shot but there isn't really anyone out here with the know how and tools, including my lonesome, that can do it. And I'll be damned if I spend $500+ to have a shop do it. Reasonable compensation can and would be arranged for your time. I'm in Shawnee btw.

Anyone....anyone? Bueller?

Old 08-17-2007, 07:56 PM
74 bronco
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What type of truck?

Old 08-18-2007, 12:27 AM
huskerpower02
New User
2000 Ranger 4x4 Flareside

Old 08-18-2007, 04:48 AM
jjlogue3
Posting Guru
It's easy I did mine in my driveway with a 2 ton jack if you have a car lift that will make things so much eaisier. I would come help but I can't break away with having a new baby and working my butt off. But if you have any questions feel free to fire them my way!

Old 08-18-2007, 07:55 AM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Do one side at a time. Loosen the other side but leave the old bolts in. Watch your brake lines, wires, gas tank filler tubes and any e-bake or tranny linkages.

Start soaking the body bolts down ahead of time and often with PB Blaster to prevent breaking the old bolts. Use a`wire brush on any exposed threads.

Don't forget to check fan shroud clearence and radaitor hoses.

Old 08-18-2007, 09:54 AM
huskerpower02
New User
Thanks for all the replys guys. Alot faster than some of the other forums I posted up on! I appreciate the advice but I'm still hesitant (see*ssy) to start this project on my own. Come on, I know someone(s) could use a day full of free beer, pizza/wings, etc.

Old 08-18-2007, 10:22 AM
fordnut1985
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It would be hard for me to get away to help but really have a little faith in your self!!! They are not really hard at all, Jack has done a few and he is right shoot them with pb blaster for about 3 days prior and do one side at a time. One thing to remember is most of the time doing a body lift you will find some body bushings that are bad so be prepared for that. If you want lemme know when your gonna do it and I aill shoot you my cell # and you can call with any questions. Just like any job, take your time, pay attention and you will be fine!!

Old 08-18-2007, 01:40 PM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
Great advice there from Duane. Your friend sounds like a great helper. With all that stuff he must have a good idea about what to look for. Having another pair of eyes that know what should move and what shouldn't is the best help you can get.

I'll be in Manhattan tomorrow evening for our August GTG. I'd be glad to look at your truck if you'd like.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:46 PM
huskerpower02
New User
Well my "helper" just has access to a lift and air tools, which is no doubt a life saver, but that's where the extent of his help ends. Him and his neighbor put one on his old ranger and the doors had a little trouble closing towards the end of his ownership...eek.

I'm looking at the Performance Accesory kit from Summit and I've heard the instructions are decent, but if anyone of you guys has anything that they'd like to add, please feel free.

I appreciate all the info provided to me thus far and I'm amazed that for a local chapter on a forum, how quick responses are and helpful.

-Drew

Old 08-18-2007, 02:10 PM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
Just a few more things. Rubber body bushings break down and crack. Look really close at all of you stock bushings. If you can afford it this would be a great time to up grade to Polly body bushings. And check for damage and rust through on the frame and body mounts. The body bushing sleeves are another issue. I have done body lifts on BII's and they were a bit older. Pre inspection can give you an idea on what you might have to replace and then look for a source of parts.

I used a 3"x3" landscape timber to lift the body. It was long enough to span 2 of the supports that ran under the body. Your cab and bed will be done seperately.

Old 08-18-2007, 02:38 PM
Flip4ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 106 Likes on 100 Posts
PB Blaster, PB Blaster, PB Blaster!!! Way ahead of time. (can't stress that enough) Also your air tools will be great in some spots but not so good in others you'll need a good breaker bar and extensions ect. I didn't see where you siad how high of a lift? Remeber steering linkage extender might be needed depending on the hieght.

Old 08-18-2007, 02:51 PM
huskerpower02
New User
PB Blaster....check.

The lift will be overkill to tell you the truth. I could fit a Super Duty under my Ranger with no problem, lol. If I'm just doing the 3" body lift, will I need the steering linkage extender?

I think I just found my new truck site.

Old 08-18-2007, 03:38 PM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
PA is a good kit. The 3" PA lifts I have purchased did come with a steering extension.

Old 08-18-2007, 03:40 PM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by huskerpower02
I could fit a Super Duty under my Ranger with no problem, lol.
Pic's? Please.

Old 08-18-2007, 04:16 PM
huskerpower02
New User
Originally Posted by HappyJack
Pic's? Please.
It was just a spur of the moment type thing. I had my Ranger on the lift and his dad had to pull the truck in.

Sorry if I made it sound like you could fit a Super Duty under my ranger on the ground. If that was the case, I think I could handle a body lift install.

Quick Reply: Body Lift Install Help!