Sponsored by: Moser

front wheel drive ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 10:07 PM
fomocojake1
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question front wheel drive ?

back in the 70s, when trucks came with full time hubs,some peopll converted to manual locking hubs with some type of kit.Seems to me that something was changed in the transfer case also.Can anybody explain to me what type of modifications were needed. The reason Im asking is someone told me these full time hub conversions were somehow FRONT WHEEL DRIVE. anybody ever heard of something like this?

Old 08-15-2007, 10:16 PM
75F350
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
The 203 has a cebter differential that allows the front axle and rear axle to spin at different rates not unlike the differential in the axle that allows one wheel to turn faster than the other. This prevents the truck from hopping violently around turns. The part time conversion "locks up" the differential in the t-ase so the bias is equal from front to rear allowing the use of locking / unlocking hubs up front and eliminating the drag associated with front driveshaft output. 2wd low range could be obtained with a 203 and a part time kit. Do not believe the 2wd 4wd selector would allow front only.
Only heard of front wheel drive with the 205. Twin stick 205's allow the operator to engage the front and rear outputs independantly. This means that front wheel drive is possible in both low, and high range.

Old 08-15-2007, 11:03 PM
psquare7575
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In English, I seem to recall that a buddy blew a rear end in his Chevy, pulled the rear drive shaft, and made it home with "FWD".

Not sure if that is possible with a Ford setup?

Old 08-15-2007, 11:07 PM
75F350
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by psquare7575
In English, I seem to recall that a buddy blew a rear end in his Chevy, pulled the rear drive shaft, and made it home with "FWD".

Not sure if that is possible with a Ford setup?
That is possible if the case is full time and the front hubs are locked, or the part time case is in the "loc" position. Equal power to both front and rear d-shafts.
Not possible with a full time case if the case is not in the "loc" position, The truck would not roll anywhere since the total output would be sent to the rear output shaft.
Kinda like a tire in the air with an open differential. Not going anywhere.