1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Unofficial Modification Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 09:54 PM
MTNWOODY
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LC,
The only thing I was warned about was a chip...My source for the tranny did his and needed warranty replacement with a Banks set up installed. They gave him some grief. However, they replaced the tranny. His advice to me was to be carefull and if I got a chip, be prepared to change it before requesting warranty work. I dunno. I get to play and have a code reader to boot.

Old 08-15-2007, 12:55 AM
gt8684
Senior User
one thing i didnt see mentioned, and maybe its not as needed as i would think.. but, i noticed every mentioned upgrades such as larger turbo, larger intake, intercooler... but unless i missed a post, no one mentioned larger intakes on the heads. the bolt on panels, Beans sells larger alluminum intakes. id think thats a much if your upgradeing the rest of the intake area. otherwise your getting all this flow up untill that point and now your creating a bottleneck effect at the intake... someone please correct me if im wrong..

Old 08-15-2007, 05:33 AM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MTNWOODY
I ordered a downpipe, testpipe, guages (boost, pyro, and TT), pillar mount, and Edge programmer yesterday. I see opinions about my choice of the Edge in other threads. However, I also am putting a Ford rebuilt E4OD in my truck tommorrow and while under warranty it was recommended I not chip my truck. With the Edge, I can reinstall the Ford flash if there are any issues. Am I off?
You are going to be busy . The only personal experience I've had with Edge was on a 99. I installed it for a buddy WOW! what a difference. The newer trucks respond well to the Edge Juice with Attitude. Others here will tell you that a chip will be better than a reprogamer. It can be removed for warranty, it's a little more difficult that reflashing though.

Old 08-15-2007, 11:09 AM
Pete in Maine
Junior User
My apologies in advance as I have pretty limited knowledge of trucks (and spelling). Just bought a '96 F250 PDS 5 spd. Expected to simply pull my boat to the water a few times a week, but came across FTE and now I'll probably end up selling the boat to upgrade the truck (not really, but all the talk I read is getting me psyched for the challenge of learning what's going on under the hood. I already know how to boat). Anyway, I'm collecting info on some easy and cost effective mods. It looks like an exhaust mod fits that bill pretty well. Am I correct that with a 5 speed, a tranny cooler (or other tranny mod) is simply not part of the program? Anyone with time on their hands who might be willing to run through the turbo mods and how they impact performance, please do!

Today is my first day jumping into the conversation, but I've enjoyed reading your posts over the past week or so. You've drawn me in! Thanks in advance for your thoughts (and patience).

Old 08-15-2007, 01:56 PM
lukecline
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by gt8684
one thing i didnt see mentioned, and maybe its not as needed as i would think.. but, i noticed every mentioned upgrades such as larger turbo, larger intake, intercooler... but unless i missed a post, no one mentioned larger intakes on the heads. the bolt on panels, Beans sells larger alluminum intakes. id think thats a much if your upgradeing the rest of the intake area. otherwise your getting all this flow up untill that point and now your creating a bottleneck effect at the intake... someone please correct me if im wrong..
Yes bean has some intake plenums available. The older ones were cast Al, then new ones are billet and very sweet looking. Mine are the older cast ones, but still get teh job done.

Old 08-15-2007, 03:43 PM
powerstroked162
Postmaster
BDP stage 2's, BDP D66, Dp-Tuner, Ts-Powerfool NO2, good for 472hp.

Cowboy Steve

Old 08-15-2007, 04:06 PM
ForemanES
Posting Guru
Hey pete welcome to the boards!

Your correct that the 5 speeds dont need coolers upgrades like the autos but one thing to consider is a single mass clutch setup as an upgrade to hold the hp a little better.

Turbo mods..... well our stock turbo doesnt really need any mods as it can handle about 400hp. But some members have gutted the exhaust back pressure valve butterfly out of there to flow a little better. One big thing is to just replace the down pipe from the turbo down to a round one, the stocker is a restrictive flat piece. Keep on reading, posting and using the search to answer any of your questions.

Old 08-15-2007, 04:09 PM
powerstroked162
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ForemanES
Turbo mods..... well our stock turbo doesnt really need any mods as it can handle about 400hp.
My stocker couldn't handle 325hp, lol.

Cowboy Steve

Old 08-15-2007, 04:12 PM
ForemanES
Posting Guru
Supprizingly mine is holding up and i should be ~350hp and it will see 35 psi daily. Granted it wont last that way forever but when it goes out thats just a good exuse to get a d66

Old 08-15-2007, 05:04 PM
glasseater
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ForemanES
Supprizingly mine is holding up and i should be ~350hp and it will see 35 psi daily. Granted it wont last that way forever but when it goes out thats just a good exuse to get a d66
just catch it before it blows up and rips everything to shreds :O

and by the way... i think this is the first time i've made a thread that seems like it will be endless

Old 08-16-2007, 08:48 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
it just might be endless b/c lets face almost every one of us have psd mod syndrome and we are all going to be trying out different mods or adding more mods so we can share it here, which would make it just keep going on and on and on. good thinkin' glass.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:36 AM
Pete in Maine
Junior User
I see many of you have done a "10k" mod. What does that include?

Old 08-16-2007, 12:40 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Pete in Maine
welcome to the conversation pete!!! the only thing you have to do for a 10k mod is get a 10k ohm resistor and put it in the ICP. you put the resistor between 2 of the wires (not the BROWN wire) and the insulation and when the engine idles up it is plugged in. i'm not very good at explaining things so hopefully someone will chime in and give a better outlook on it. the 10k mod is only good for like 6 hp or something like that. you can also shim your fuel pressure regulator as well. you want it to be around 70psi. oh yeah and a diy intake would be a good one also. and for your exhaust modification... you could put stacks on it. i simply LOVE smoke stacks and the sound of them on our psd's!!!!!

Last edited by strokin'_tatsch; 08-16-2007 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:27 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Pete in Maine
This if for you pete:
http://www.forgotton.net/mods/index.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/wiki/tiki-read_article.php?articleId=22

Old 08-17-2007, 08:42 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i DO NOT like that version of the 10k mod, it leaves room for error and alternate paths for the electricity, cut the blue with red tracer and install a resistor of your choice inline, you will see better response form the mod and no room for future headaches, there is a section in my webshots link for my version of the mod, and the larger the resistor the more oil pressure, not the other way around, consult ohms law before yelling and telling me i am wrong, i know for a fact that i am right here

Quick Reply: Unofficial Modification Thread