Sponsored by: DP Tuner

F350 no start problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 08:13 AM
cjh1925
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F350 no start problem

I have a 1999 F350,2WD standard cab manual trany 7.3 psd truck with ~ 70K miles that I have had < a year. When I first got it it was a slow cranker, but always started, even through the winter. I only use this truck once a week or so. About a month ago the starter failed and I replaced it. It now cranks beautifully, but I have a problem where it takes an inordinate amount of time cranking before starting. Once running, it is fine. The first time I had this problem the truck was hot, but is more likely to happen when cold. A couple of weeks ago I couldn't get it started. I replaced the fuel filter and it still cranked long, but would start Because I had my everyday car down for routine maintenance, I drove the truck every day to work. On Saturday, it wouldn't start and now sits dead in the driveway. I have checked the following: Fuel pump runs when key turned on, GPR clicks, I have tried bypassing the glow plug relay, no joy. I don't think the glow plugs should be an issue at this time of year, also I have had the problem when the engine is warmed up. When cranking I do have tach indication. Does this rule out the CPS? One thing I noticed when it would start is that while cranking there is a clicking sound coming from the under dash area, I think, and when that clicking stops the truck starts. Now, the clicking never stops and the engine never starts. I have not been able to identify the source of this clicking noise except that it doesn't seem to be coming from under the hood as I can't hear it when I have my wife crank while I listen with the hood up.
I don't have a lot of informatiion on this vehicle, my only current manual is the Heynes manual, which has proved to be pretty much useless for this problem. Can anyone recommend a good source for a real factory manual? Also, what kind of scan tool is needed for these diesel trucks? Are they OBD II compliant? Thanks for any help.

Charles J Hinckley
Hardwick, Ma

Old 08-14-2007, 08:20 AM
totin_tools
Elder User
Check the oil level in the HPOP resivior. You will need to take the "Powerstroke" cover off the top of the engine. Then it is the rectangular silver looking thing right there in the front. There is a allen headed bolt on the top, take it out and check the oil level it should be within about 3/4" from the top. If it is lower than that add some to it. Maybe this will solve the problem. How long ago have you replaced fuel filter and oil change. Might want to run the rotella synthetic 5w40 since it will get cold up that way.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:22 AM
totin_tools
Elder User
That Haynes manual is about useless. There used to be a guy on ebay that had some discs for sale it seems like it has more info on it then the Haynes book.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:30 AM
FN74
Elder User
If it runs fine once started, it is not a fuel problem. Like Totin said, check your High pressure oil level. And since the CPS's are only about $25 now, may well be worth replacing that just to eliminate it as a suspect item. When it starts, how does it start? Does it jump to life, does it chug and slowly come around? is there a lot of smoke? Does it smoke while you are cranking?

Old 08-14-2007, 08:31 AM
zx250
Of the next Riffraff East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It sounds like you have weak batteries or at least one bad one. Our trucks need very strong batteries to start good. They will turn over good and still not have enough power to start good. You could start by checking all of your connection and make sure they're clean and tight. Remember when checking your batteries, disconnect and check each one by itself.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:57 AM
cjh1925
New User
Gee, you guys are amazing! 4 responses in < 1/2hour! To answer your questions:
1. The truck turns over so nicely I can't imagine the batteries are not any good. When I had the starter problem I checked them out pretty thouroughly. They test out OK and all connections are clean and tight. I do have some other ones around that are good so maybe I'll give that a try.
2. I'll go out and check the oil level in the HPOP as soon as I get finished here.
3. When the truck finally does start there is no smoke, or rough running at all. Completely normal in all respects. That is one of the reasons I think that this is not glow plug related. I do think the engine is somewhat loud, but it is a diesel and I don'thave anything to compare it to.

Thanks again for your help.
cjh

Old 08-14-2007, 10:27 PM
cjh1925
New User
I checked the oil level in the HPOP, it is right at 3/4 inch. I also removed and checked the fuel filter. It is still clean as when I replaced it, about 2 weeks ago. Is it possible that the CPS is bad if I have a tach reading? Tach reads about 250 RPM when cranking. If I have time tomorrow I will try different batteries.

cjh

Old 08-15-2007, 10:16 AM
totin_tools
Elder User
How long go did you change the engine oil? Are you using Delo or Rotella? I know sometimes when mine wouldnt start it was becuase of the HPOP level. Although it could be the cps. Might want to try since it is pretty cheap nowadays. Also as ZX250 stated check around the engine and make sure the connections are good and tight.

Old 08-15-2007, 11:02 AM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
If you can , get it on a scanner & watch the ICP(voltage) pressure while cranking (cold start),, & IPR DC % ,,,& maybe EOT as it compares to ambient air temp....

Old 08-15-2007, 11:09 AM
zx250
Of the next Riffraff East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know you hear the fuel pump running, but are you sure it is pumping fuel? Open you drain and turn the switch on and make sure you have a good steady stream. Be sure and put something down to catch that liquid gold.

Old 08-18-2007, 02:10 PM
cjh1925
New User
F350 no start problem

Update on F350.
The oil has < 2000 miles on it, changed last Oct.
Fuel pump does deliver fuel as seen when drain is open, drain leaks, but that is another problem!
I replaced the cps and was successful in starting the truck, still excessive cranking and the clicking sound is still there. When clicking stops, truck starts.
Although running, I don't think it is right yet. I do thank everyone for their help.
cjh

Old 08-18-2007, 04:39 PM
totin_tools
Elder User
Change the oil regardless since its been it there almost a year. Even try to suck it out of the HPOP resivoir. Where is the clicking sound at? Under dash, engine compartment, or where.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:27 PM
cjh1925
New User
Clicking sound is under the dash, I haven't been able to pin point its origin, but it is definitely not under the hood.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:37 AM
totin_tools
Elder User
Check the post that says VSM, maybe thats what it is.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:59 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
ZX250 beat me to it.
I still think you have weak batteries. Or at the least a crummy connection somewhere. These trucks have a reduction gear starter and they will crank the engine over pretty good, even if the voltage is under the good thresh hold and the PCM won't have enough juice to command the injectors to fire.

Quick Reply: F350 no start problem