1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

???????Biggest Designated Winter Tires???????

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 07:49 PM
Ace!
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
this is an error

Old 08-21-2007, 07:49 PM
Ace!
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by mikedeason
If you don't have the Snowflake on a Mountain Logo embossed on your tire, go to the back of the bus!

Yea, some of the smaller BFG A/T's have it but not the 35's and up and even the smaller BFG A/T's can't compete w/a real Winter Tread.

We talking studless here Jones.

http://www.tirerack.com/images/winte..._snowflake.gif

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I checked and you're wrong about the BFG A/T. The BFG AT does have a snowflake in the mountain (severe snow rated) in larger sizes, including 33", 35", 36" and 37" tires in various wheel sizes. Typically the non-snow flake tires have a black sidewall and the snow flake ones are raised white lettering.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:08 PM
mikedeason
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

So what is the difference between the BSW and the RWL that gets a Snowflake On The Mountain?

I e-mailed the Safety Council that hands out the Snowflake On a Mountain Logo, and they told me that the BFG A/T's now use a rubber compound suitable for cold weather and the BFG's passed the heavy snow testing w/flying colors. They ranked lower on braking on hardpacked and ice but still reached the qualifications for a Snowflake On The Mountain Logo.

I will stick w/ a Real WINTER tread since 90% of my winter driving is on hardpacked and ice.

Tires Rated Excellent in Snow
  • Continental Contact TS-740 (Snow Tire)
  • Goodyear F32S (Snow Tire)
  • Nokian "Hakkapeliitta" NR09/NR10/NRW/Hakka-1 (Snow Tire)
  • Pirelli P77 ("All-Season")
  • Pirelli Winter S2 (Snow Tire)
  • Semperit M+S (Studded Snow Tire)
  • Vredestein Snow+ (Studded Snow Tire) SnowTrac
  • Bridgestone Blizzak (non-studded snow tire)
  • Dunlop DS-1 Graspic

Old 08-21-2007, 10:12 PM
Ace!
Cargo Master
So what is the difference between the BSW and the RWL that gets a Snowflake On The Mountain?

I e-mailed the Safety Council that hands out the Snowflake On a Mountain Logo, and they told me that the BFG A/T's now use a rubber compound suitable for cold weather and the BFG's passed the heavy snow testing w/flying colors. They ranked lower on braking on hardpacked and ice but still reached the qualifications for a Snowflake On The Mountain Logo.

I will stick w/ a Real WINTER tread since 90% of my winter driving is on hardpacked and ice.

Tires Rated Excellent in Snow
  • Continental Contact TS-740 (Snow Tire)
  • Goodyear F32S (Snow Tire)
  • Nokian "Hakkapeliitta" NR09/NR10/NRW/Hakka-1 (Snow Tire)
  • Pirelli P77 ("All-Season")
  • Pirelli Winter S2 (Snow Tire)
  • Semperit M+S (Studded Snow Tire)
  • Vredestein Snow+ (Studded Snow Tire) SnowTrac
  • Bridgestone Blizzak (non-studded snow tire)
  • Dunlop DS-1 Graspic
The bsw/rwl is an identifier. Actually, it would make it easier for the state police in states that rate tires as traction control devices, as they do in Oregon. As an example, a state trooper can see almost immediately if the tire qualifies as a traction control device in lieu of chains during winter conditions, based on the color of the sidewall.

BTW, you answered your own question about what the difference is, "...and they told me that the BFG A/T's now use a rubber compound suitable for cold weather and the BFG's passed the heavy snow testing w/flying colors."

I live where there is plenty of snow and will need new winter tires. Do the tires you listed above come in a 33+" tire on a 17" wheel with a load rating of D or higher? I need something with at least a stock load range and size. What can you suggest for tires based on the trucks stock ratings.

Last edited by Ace!; 08-21-2007 at 10:14 PM.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:34 PM
mikedeason
Elder User
Thumbs down

Not true.

I've seen BSW BFG ko's (not turned out) w/the Snowflake on a Mountain.

It's sad that the best Winter treads are made for cars and SUV's and not trucks like ours that really need them to PLOW SNOW!

Old 08-21-2007, 10:47 PM
Ace!
Cargo Master
I've seen BSW BFG ko's (not turned out) w/the Snowflake on a Mountain...
In what sizes? I got my information from BFGoodrich/Michelin. Maybe they aren't current on their product. I know there are a lot of people that like the black sidewall look, I bet they'd appreciate knowing in what sizes they can get the BFG AT KO tire with the snowflake on the mountain tire.

I'm going to try to buy tires this fall before the snow starts falling. Do the tires you listed above come in a 33+" tire on a 17" wheel with a load rating of D or higher?

Old 08-22-2007, 07:04 AM
redford
Received 1,582 Likes on 922 Posts
Some of the BFG T/A KO tire sizes are not snow rated, some are.

For instance, the 285/75QR16 states "Not Rated For Severe Snow" on Tirerack.com.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:28 AM
Mark Oomkes
Senior User
Originally Posted by Going_Going_Gone
Just my opinion here. Bigger (as in wider) isn't always better with snow tires. It would appear that you want to stay with 35" OD tires, but a narrower tire will perform better in snow than a "floatation" tire. As others have stated (and illustrated), winter treads have a multitude of smaller grooves with loads of siping for added grip on ice. If you expect to drive a lot on snowy/icy roads, and you can find narrower tires with a winter tread, you will probably be happier than with A/T tires. You don't necessarily want a tire that floats on the snow, but rather one that penetrates down to a harder surface where it can get some grip.
Actually not you opinion, it's a proven fact.

Why is everybody a 'dude'?

Old 08-22-2007, 09:38 AM
redford
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Why is everybody a 'dude'?
I've been called worse.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:53 AM
Mark Oomkes
Senior User
Originally Posted by redford
I've been called worse.
LMAO, me too. Just sounds like we're in grade school or something. Or SO Cal.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:15 AM
Ace!
Cargo Master
Some of the BFG T/A KO tire sizes are not snow rated, some are.

For instance, the 285/75QR16 states "Not Rated For Severe Snow" on Tirerack.com.
You're right. The bsw version, in that size, isn't snow rated; however, the same size is also offered with rwl and is snow rated.

I was responding to Mike's comment about BFGoodrich not making the snow rated versions in larger sizes. They do.

Old 08-22-2007, 11:28 AM
redford
Who would have thought that "black sidewall" or "raised white letters" would matter that much in the snow?

Old 08-22-2007, 11:45 AM
Ace!
Cargo Master
Who would have thought that "black sidewall" or "raised white letters" would matter that much in the snow?
Haha, that white lettering must be part of the snowflake in the mountain designation. High traction white lettering!!!

The tires are actually different.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:02 PM
redford
Originally Posted by Ace!
Haha, that white lettering must be part of the snowflake in the mountain designation. High traction white lettering!!!
That must be it dude!

Old 08-22-2007, 12:18 PM
Beerstalker
Postmaster
My guess is, it is a matter of stock. They newer tires have a different compound that passes the severe snow rating tests, the older tires didn't. BFG has sold all of the older raised white letter tires so now all new shipments are of new stock that meet the SSR rating. They haven't sold all of thier old stock black lettered tires, so they are still shipping the ones made with the older material. Once stock of those run out they will begin shipping the SSR rated ones in black lettered tires too.

Quick Reply: ???????Biggest Designated Winter Tires???????