1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Voltage gauge

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 10:52 PM
tndiesel
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Voltage gauge

Went on a 120 mile round trip today in the nice 100 degree heat. Truck ran great, new tranny cooler seems to be working good with no leaks. The voltage gauge usually runs a little past the middle of the M on NORMAL but I noticed it was between the R and M on NORMAL. One time it dropped to the O in NORMAL for just a few seconds then back to between R and M on NORMAL. Is this o.k. and what does everyone else's voltage gauge usually run? I thought if they were in good shape they just didn't move hardly at all. We did have the air cranked if that matters.

Old 08-11-2007, 06:02 AM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's one of the gages in our trucks that the needle actually moves and means something. Too bad ford didn't put some numbers on the gage face instead of NORMAL. It's normal for it to fluctuate with electrical load and engine speed. ie. it will drop a bit when you come to a stop wit the AC blasting on HI and then swing up when you take off again. Engine compartment heat will effect it too.

Old 08-11-2007, 07:56 AM
tndiesel
Elder User
Originally Posted by Cuda_jim
That's one of the gages in our trucks that the needle actually moves and means something. Too bad ford didn't put some numbers on the gage face instead of NORMAL. It's normal for it to fluctuate with electrical load and engine speed. ie. it will drop a bit when you come to a stop wit the AC blasting on HI and then swing up when you take off again. Engine compartment heat will effect it too.
O.K. I guess I'm fine for now, I hope.

Old 08-11-2007, 12:47 PM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes you are. The gauges that are factory are not very accurate anyway and will vary from truck to truck.

Old 08-11-2007, 03:40 PM
tndiesel
Elder User
Originally Posted by Neal 97 250
Yes you are. The gauges that are factory are not very accurate anyway and will vary from truck to truck.
Neal I sent you a PM about the new expansion tank. Did you get it?