Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Need some help on a few

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 11:36 AM
puffen:D
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some help on a few

I have a 2002 F350 SRW CC auto w/180k, 1st issue is I have an oil leak that has just started and it seems to be coming from @ my HPOP. I've seen this same leak on our 2002 at work and we took it to the dealer and they replaced the whole pump. My question is..Is this a common thing? Does the pump need to be replaced or is it a gasket of seal problem. It runs fine and I'm not loosing a lot of oil but it is making a mess of things.

Second question, my in dash tranny temp guage is bottomed like normal when you first turn on the ignition but after the computer diagnostics the needle jumps up to near the normal run point and after a very short time it hits the normal run and never moves past it. Could this be just a connection problem or bad sensor and if its a sensor what's its location?
Thanks for any input.

Old 08-06-2007, 12:42 PM
Texas Outlaw
Not a liberal...
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The factory trans gauge sounds like it is operating correctly. To truly monitor your trans temps you need an aftermarket temp gauge. By the time your stock gauge shows the trans to be too hot it will be too late.

For the HPOP you have to find out exactly where it is leaking from. I had an o-ring leak about a month ago and it was repairable. They can also leak from the gasket between the pump and the reservoir. Ford will probably tell you new pump for that but it can be repaired by replacing the gasket. Like Kwik said not too long ago, "if a human built it then it can be repaired".

Old 08-06-2007, 02:47 PM
Senior User
Thanks for the reply, scanning back thru the threads and found refs to o-rings, gaskets and hoses. I haven't looked that close but I thought they'd be using steel line for the HPO delivery. Anyway, I guess I'll start out with getting a gasket and o-ring(s) to start and if I get into it and find something different, I guess my truck will have to sit until I get what I need.

On the trans temp, I do have a piller guage for trans but even when the tranny is stone cold the one in the dash will jump to near the run spot. It doesn't start near the bottom and work its way up to run like our 2003 7.3 at work, that's why I was thinking that maybe the sender was going bad. I thought about replacing it but not sure on its location or ease of replacement.

Old 08-06-2007, 02:54 PM
John311t
Postmaster
I just thought of something. It has steel lines for the lets say 50-75psi of fuel pressure, but it has rubber lines for the 2500-3000PSI oil lines? Sounds backwards to me? There must be a reason for taht.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:24 PM
totin_tools
Elder User
Originally Posted by John311t
I just thought of something. It has steel lines for the lets say 50-75psi of fuel pressure, but it has rubber lines for the 2500-3000PSI oil lines? Sounds backwards to me? There must be a reason for taht.
The rubber lines are enclosed in a steel braid which greatly increases the strengt of the line. The fuel line are steel probly because of their location. Road debris and such could really put a damper on plain rubber lines. I just had to replace one of the hoses on the HPOP to the head due to a blowout. It just goes to show everything has a weak link.

Old 08-08-2007, 12:49 PM
Senior User
Turns out to be one of the HPO lines fitting at the pump leaking. Went to the "stealership" and bent over for their $30 service kit. Well, at least I got my leak fixed, thanx to all

Old 08-08-2007, 12:54 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by puffen:D
Turns out to be one of the HPO lines fitting at the pump leaking. Went to the "stealership" and bent over for their $30 service kit. Well, at least I got my leak fixed, thanx to all
Still cheaper than having them do it.