2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.4 Towing Performance

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 12:38 PM
gregghealy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4 Towing Performance

I have a trailer that weighs in at 6200lbs loaded. My 05 SC is a DOG with this trailer behind it. I have read and done some research on this site, but am still confused...

What chip/exhaust combo is going to give me the best end result for towing?

Old 08-03-2007, 12:43 PM
black04lariat
Elder User
I am in the same boat. I have exhaust and an edge and the edge I thought would help but didnt really. It helped out with mileage when I wasnt towing anything but with my trailer it helped very minimally if any. I am using the Towing tune on the edge.

Old 08-03-2007, 12:52 PM
gregghealy
Senior User
Originally Posted by black04lariat
I am in the same boat. I have exhaust and an edge and the edge I thought would help but didnt really. It helped out with mileage when I wasnt towing anything but with my trailer it helped very minimally if any. I am using the Towing tune on the edge.
That doesnt sound good. Im looking for a dramatic difference. I think a majority of the problem is the way the tranny acts. Very abrupt down shifts, just seems very lazy.

The new Tundra advertising is luring me in to take a test drive unless I can make this thing run better...

Old 08-03-2007, 01:12 PM
wildcard30
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gregghealy
I have a trailer that weighs in at 6200lbs loaded. My 05 SC is a DOG with this trailer behind it. I have read and done some research on this site, but am still confused...

What chip/exhaust combo is going to give me the best end result for towing?
I have a 14' cycle shuttle (made by Chariot). It's fairly aerodynamic, and weighs 3000lbs when loaded. Because height of the trailer and it's parachute affect, it seems like I'm towing a load heavier than it is. When I tow the same load on an open trailer that's no higher than my truck, but 200lbs heavier, it seems like I'm towing a lighter load.

So it's not only the weight of the load that you're pulling that must be taken into consideration. You need to look at the aerodynamics also.

Old 08-03-2007, 01:31 PM
osteodoc08
Senior User
A budget was never given.

For the most oomph, a Roush S/C is in order.
If you want better tranny shifting, the Edge is the way to go. It does make it feel better, especially when unloaded.

Old 08-03-2007, 02:05 PM
gregghealy
Senior User
The frontal area on the toy hauler is LARGE. I would guess I need a 50hp and 50pnd/ft gain to make a noticeable difference. Is this realistically going to happen with any mods on the market? I suppose a supercharger or something would be cheaper than a new truck but that eliminates the warranty and will stress out the tranny and other components to much wont it?

I am way below weight limits and I hate to say it but it sucks towing this 18ft toy hauler with this truck. I picked the trailer up yesterday after some work was done to it and I cant believe how much the truck struggles with it, and it was empty. I was pushing a slight head wind, but I dont see this truck pulling this little trailer to MT as I had planned.

Maybe the truck isnt running right, wish I had something to compare it to.

Old 08-03-2007, 02:19 PM
VFR_Man
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You're not likely to get 50 HP from tuners and intake/exhaust.

The Roush S/C will preserve the 3/36 warranty. Some say regardless of who does the install, but for sure if it's "professionally" installed.

Whether the tranny will be stressed too much, I'm not sure, but the weight of your right foot will have a lot to do with it too.

Old 08-03-2007, 02:21 PM
black04lariat
Elder User
If you want better tranny shifting, the Edge is the way to go. It does make it feel better, especially when unloaded.
Personally I like the way it was before I put it on the tow tune on my edge. With it on the tow tune it struggles more pulling my trailer up hills etc... I tow a 6x12 dual axle enclosed with no more than 1000/1500lbs in it at all times. It seems to have trouble picking what gear to be in when running about 65-67 going up hill. Whereas when it was stock it didnt.

Without the trailer I def. like the edge much much better.

Old 08-03-2007, 02:50 PM
gregghealy
Senior User
The Roush SC is six grand. Ouch... But 140hp-ft lbs are serious gains, Im sure that would do the trick. What happens with fuel mileage with the SC? Anybody have long term towing miles with one of these units?

Note to admins: The inline links (I checked out the Roush link) take people away from the forum, wouldn't it be better if they opened a new window?

Old 08-03-2007, 03:08 PM
irishammer
Senior User
Gregg you don't say what gears you have in the truck....lower gears are always an option. If you have larger tires than stock you are effectively changing your ratio as well. There are plenty of posts covering the amount of change.

Old 08-03-2007, 03:16 PM
gregghealy
Senior User
3.73 I believe, it came with a tow package on it. Tires/rims are 20" take offs from a King Ranch, probably a little taller than the stock 17" tires that came on it. Maybe just shorter gearing will keep it running in a beefier part of the power when towing. Ill check out some of the gearing threads, thanks.

Old 08-03-2007, 03:49 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I'd certainly swap in some 4.10's.

Old 08-03-2007, 04:02 PM
gregghealy
Senior User
Ill start shopping around for 4.10 gearing. Looks like $400-$500 is the norm installed from what I found on this site. Im in Riverside County CA, can anybody recommend a shop to the switch?

This should help towing mileage as well in that I wont have my foot so far into all the time?

THANKS again, I hadnt even thought of gearing.

Old 08-03-2007, 04:47 PM
i eat hybrids
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It should keep you from downshifting alot less.

Old 08-03-2007, 05:32 PM
driximus
Posting Guru

My buddies 05 F-150 he towed with the Vortech S/C kit his tranny seemed iffy at first. Before he left i jumped in his truck to help him figure it out. He has the SCT XCAL 2 That thing is pretty cool you can adjust your shifting firmness shift points it helped. But the one thing i noticed that made the huge difference was his over drive was on. We turned off his over drive readjusted his shiftpoints and firmness and it pulled great.

tommorrow ill ask him is he remembers his milage he got Im not sure cause i never asked him.

Quick Reply: 5.4 Towing Performance