1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Need tips for dropping rear tank

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 08:43 PM
boggerted
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need tips for dropping rear tank

im gonna be dropping the rear tank on my 84 F250 long bed tomorrow and wanted to know a few things:

1. Does anyone have a diagram showing what mounts the rear tank in place? Ive done a front tank before, but not a rear.

2. What are some recommended things to do or use while the tank is off? I have a layer of water in the tank which is the sole reason for dropping it, so ill have to dry the tank out good.

Thanks in advance

Old 08-05-2007, 09:11 PM
MikeFlorida
Junior User
Make sure to replace the rubber vent bushing while the tank is out, if it is in bad shape. I washed my tank out with a pressure washer and then blew it dry with compressed air. There were only 4 bolts on the 2 straps that held my tank in. You also have to disconnect the 2 fuel lines and the wiring harness. Check all the wiring that runs beside the tank while you have it out to make sure there are no bare spots rubbed in any of them.
Take it easy,
Mike

Old 08-05-2007, 09:37 PM
zpmps2
Senior User
it would probably be best, since the bolts are probably rusty, to use a cutting torch to get them out... LOL Just Kidding man, but seriously dont do that. HA Just trying to make fun after sitting and seeing nothing happen ALL DAY.

Taylor

Old 08-06-2007, 07:41 AM
clunker86
Senior User
i have an 86 4x4 f250 stander cab. i have dropped the rear tank a few times. i only had to remove the 4 bolts on the skid plate to drop my tank. plus remove the gas intake hose and gas lines plus the sending unit wires. i would check the vent valve to make sure its not clugged and replace the rubber hose on it. when installing the tank again make sure that tub does not get pinched between the tank and the fram. thats one reason i dropped my tank so many times. sucks when you go to pump gas and you have to pump slow. best tip is to have a buddy there to help hold the tank and remove it. but it can be done by yourself.