1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

"car shows"

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 08:04 AM
tomoto
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just remember that guy can not fix or rebuild his owe car or truck ... and all works of art ( your truck ) have to start at some point...its the bud to the blossom

Old 07-28-2007, 08:20 AM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
I don't enter shows and very seldom attend for the same reasons. Its personal philosophy about these old rigs - I believe they should be driven. And that sets them apart permanently.

You'll have stone chips and other sorts of road rash that creates a look the trailer queens will never have. Your truck will start normally and reliably every time. The gold-chainers will never understand and will make lots of noise about their ignorance.

When I first got my truck finished I put it in a local show. Regular folks oohhh'd and aahh'd but the guys with the 100 point cars just curled their lips and acted like it was an insult to have it there. Didn't bother me cause I know most of them.

But I realized that the old truck brings pleasure to normal people in the mall parking lot, grocery store parking lot, down at the local restaurants and at the gas stations. I've had guys try to buy it while stopped for a fill-up. So I drive it all year long and let folks appreciate it every day rather than just drag it out once a summer for a show or two. I had a mother tell me recently her 3 yr old son recognizes my truck on the road and always shouts, "Mom, there's that hotrod truck!" I had a chance last week to invite him and his mom to look it over up close and let him sit inside it.

Checkout the thread about 'how perfect' that is current here. My 48 is about a 40/40 truck after 6 years of daily driving and being rear ended - I still need to paint the tailgate with more than rattlecan paint............. but I enjoy it every day!

Last edited by mtflat; 07-28-2007 at 08:32 AM.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:19 AM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by mtflat
But I realized that the old truck brings pleasure to normal people in the mall parking lot, grocery store parking lot, down at the local restaurants and at the gas stations. I've had guys try to buy it while stopped for a fill-up. So I drive it all year long and let folks appreciate it every day rather than just drag it out once a summer for a show or two. I had a mother tell me recently her 3 yr old son recognizes my truck on the road and always shouts, "Mom, there's that hotrod truck!" I had a chance last week to invite him and his mom to look it over up close and let him sit inside it.
Aahh, the true fans. I had the most fun driving my old '66 bronco on the back roads getting waves from the farmers.

PS:my first post on this thread was not meant to offend those who bought their trucks already "done", but those who put down other's trucks.

Last edited by havi; 07-28-2007 at 09:52 AM.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:09 AM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sorry you had an experience like that. I like what AXracer said recently about guys who pay to have their rides built by others really being collectors, not builders...like saying that if you buy art, you're an artist. Very good. I got really tired of asking the owners of trailer queens questions about their trucks, because they never had an answer other than "my builder found it".

Can you imagine how crushed that guy would be if someone said something similar about his cubically expensive non-driver? That would be true Karma. There is no accounting for taste, especially when someone has none. I'll bet that guy is really fun at the party and his friends can be counted on one hand.

When I first got my truck, I went to every show and cruise night. I couldn't get enough. Later, I went to my favorite few, because the selection was always excellent and I was still getting cool ideas. Now, I'm not very big on shows. But when I went, I liked to enter my primered POS, not because I thought it had any chance to trophy, but because I get better parking right next to the folks I want to hang out with. When it's done, I'll enter a few favorite shows only for that reason.

Your truck has the one trophy that matters...yours. You like it. That's the real award. And no fake gold piece of plastic or plaque will ever measure up to that.

Old 07-28-2007, 10:46 AM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is a good post. I feel your pain and have been there in the past. Unfortunately there are people like this who attend shows. Some forget that their truck was a rust bucket at one point or maybe they were blessed by a large bank account where they simply purchased the truck. In which case I feel sorry for him for missing out on fixing it up himself. My truck is in no way a show truck but I still enter it in shows. Not for the trophies, the pats on the back, but to say I was in the show to meet people and talk about trucks and cars which I love. I'm a roving reporter for Hotrod Hotline and attend several car events on the West coast every year. I submit pictures of the shows to Hotrod Hotline. I don't take pictures of just trailer queen material but pics of work in progress and straight out rust bucket projects that happen to be there. Believe it or not, there are several people out there that would love to look at your truck and dream of what they would do to it. There are plenty of ignorant people in this world. Don't let them bother you. Be proud of what you drive! Go to shows and have fun.

Old 07-28-2007, 12:24 PM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
The people that criticize other cars/trucks at car-shows are the ones that DO-NOT BUILD THEIR OWN trucks!!! They are ALL TALK and I would pull up and park next to him next show!!!! I bet you he is a **** and doesn't know the 1st thing about ho-rods!! I like to see trucks that ARE NOT show cars and drivers that I can see how cool they are to drive. SHOW CARS are not fun to worry about. Forget that as****** and keep on truckin' Bill

Old 07-28-2007, 12:27 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 608 Likes on 378 Posts
It's all good... If someone can't build their own truck or car, and wants to write a check, good for them. Maybe they don't have the time or room, maybe their missus won't let them, who knows? We don't have to be like them.

The only kinds of shows I enjoy, in general, are the ones where the purpose is to show the vehicles to the general public, like at the state fair, not to the same old bunch of guys who are at every shine'n'show. No trophies, no "competition", just "here's what we have". More educational than anything.

Old 07-28-2007, 01:53 PM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Amen!!!!!

Hey guys, I agree with all of you about the guys who don't drive their trucks.My truck has a reputation for being alot slicker than it really is.My truck Pegsu, has been to the F100 Supernationals, since 1996.We drive it down, and get alot of thumbs up.That's the whole point of driving them, is DRIVING them.I have often told my wife, when I see a closed trailer passing by on the way to TN, I wonder who's trailer queen is in there? I built all of my truck, and in the wise words of Tim Allen: If you didn't build it with your own hands, it's not really yours!!!.I know he didn't really build his cars or truck, but the statement holds true anyway.My truck has shiny paint on it, but I gaurantee you the 1956 Panel truck I'm building currently will not be painted shiny, or slick.I think I'll have alot more fun with it not bein slick painted.I also agree with the guy who said he went to shows, and paid the entry fee just to have a good place to park.That's exactly what I do.I take my daughter with me, mostly to shows with some rides or things for her to do, then when we get ready to go, I can get out, and I have a great parkin place for about 10bucks!! I also try to go to the shows with a purpose to raise money for a good cause.
p.s., does anyone have any tips on posting picts on here.Mine are all too high of a resolution it seems??????????
Thanks

Old 07-29-2007, 12:25 PM
restoringmy46
Elder User
Don't pay any mind to people like that. I went to a show last night and took my 51 there. It's not done either but I like to drive it just like you do. Funny thing is I had just as much people look at mine than anyone eles's truck or car. Myself I like to look at the trucks and cars as they are being worked on. It's nice to see a complete one to, but I like to watch the progress of one. There was alot of rat rods there to. And people are amazed by them. Just keep going to the shows. Don't let a few people ruin your time and enjoy the heck out of your truck. I also had a guy that told me he wouldn't do a thing to my truck. He would leave it as it is and have fun with it.

Scott B.
1951 F1

Old 07-30-2007, 10:57 AM
jareddill
Senior User
next time call up ksmith, and have that jerks ride towed

Old 07-30-2007, 11:37 AM
56efffie
Elder User
It is really to bad that there are people like this attending shows. 1 negative comment can ruin 100 good ones. I will admit I have attended shows and seen trucks or cars I thought were just plain ugly or did not appeal to me, but I have enough respect for the builder and their taste not to say anything. Building or driving something that you have created makes this hobby so fun, no matter what someone else thinks. Ya know what they say opinions are like a**holes everyone has one!

Old 07-30-2007, 11:44 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
yep you are all right and it jus p.o.d me that these guys with the "show cars " are that f-ing ignorant ! i ran into one of the club members yesterday after i got back from a "field trip " a.k.a ran away from the kids and grandkids for a weekend , to iowa , and he apologized for this guys remarks . it wasn't his place to do so and i told him that i was seriously thinking about not coming back to a show sponsored by them as long as everyone isn't welcome irregardless of the vehicle entered . i find it truly annoying when i run into people like that guy ! oh well his loss , can't have to many freinds with an attitude like that .

Old 07-30-2007, 12:12 PM
JDMick
Senior User
At least someone in the club knows about it. All that matters is that you get your truck out and enjoy it. If that means driving it to the grocery store or putting it in a car show is all up to you. The whole premise of giving out trophies for a car or truck seems rather silly. If you let any part of the enjoyment of your vehicle depend on other peoples opinion of it (good or bad) you'll be disappointed. The best car shows I've been to don't hand out any awards. I've put a lot of time and money into my truck to make it like new but along the way a lot of history was lost. The beginning condition of my truck didn't leave me much choice though. I may be odd but I enjoy looking at an unrestored (but driveable) car such as a model T more than a restored one. You can see all the nicks, leaks and normal wear. Driving one would really be an authentic historical experience. On the contrary restored versions all look basically the same. Sorry for rambling.

Old 07-30-2007, 02:19 PM
eman92082
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 12 Posts
When I was 9 years old, my Dad took me to my first Car Show. There was a '55 Nomad with a million coat lacquer paint job. This was about '59 and they called it "Spiderwebbing". This Wagon was really ugly. I turned to my Dad and said "too bad about that paint". The Owner's Girlfriend heard me. She came over and chewed me out in front of everyone. "What'ya mean too bad !? - It's Beautiful !!!"

I was obviously embarrased to death, and as much as it hurt, I learned a good lesson.

I've had a few top-drawer vehicles and a lot of beaters. In either case, when I hear somebody talking crap about my car, I call them on it right in front of everyone. With a smile on my face I tell them I'm sorry, and I'll try to do better in the future..... They usually apologize.

Old 07-30-2007, 03:15 PM
AZAV8
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I look at things this way. You don't put somebody down for the looks of his truck/car for any reason. It takes money and time to rebuild a truck and sometimes you have to change priorities of where you spend your time and money, like the wife and kids take priority over the truck. I had to do that for 30 years. Now, I can afford the time and money for the truck project,...sometimes. Keep your priorities in the right place.

You are driving your truck and enjoying it. When the time and the money becomes available, you'll make it better. Keep up the good work and enthusiasm for the project. Encouragement is always much better than criticism and it wins you friends. Besides, when you make friends and be nice to someone, you learn things and you never know where that important idea you need to use on your truck may come from. If you critisize someone's truck, you can bet that needed idea WON'T come from the guy who's truck you just dissed.

Phil

Quick Reply: "car shows"