Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

First sighting Boss v8

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 04:01 PM
Ranger1F150
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't get link to work at work. I'll have to check it at home later.

What is the rest of the car like ? Stock suspension or back half full race car ? That will make a huge difference.

How many Cams(SOHC or DOHC) and Valves are we talking ?

What are they planning on putting it in ?
I thought this was a V10 replacement truck motor to compete with the Hemi and Chevys new 6.2(or whatever their new 400+ hp motor is).

I am betting its at the Detroit car show. I heard a rumor that ford will have 3-4 new engine there. 1. The Boss/Hurricane truck motor. 2. the 4.4L(or whatever) diesel for the F150 and Expedition 3. The New big diesel 6.4L replacement 4. Something about a new I-4 or V6 for the small cars.

Last edited by Ranger1F150; 09-19-2007 at 04:34 PM.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:47 PM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
The boss is capable of 5 liters to 7 liters, the stang gets 5, the F-150 gets 6.2. Roush has a 7 liter boss right now, Jack told ford he wanted 777, 700 hp, 7,000 rpms and 7 liters. Maybe the next lighting motor.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:22 AM
Ranger1F150
Senior User
Originally Posted by wendell borror
The boss is capable of 5 liters to 7 liters, the stang gets 5, the F-150 gets 6.2. Roush has a 7 liter boss right now, Jack told ford he wanted 777, 700 hp, 7,000 rpms and 7 liters. Maybe the next lighting motor.
Sweet. Ford needs to make a Lightning. They should have made the one that was at the 2005(?) auto show. I would have seriously bought that one if it would have been around $38K. I don't know how much money they made on the Lightnings but I think they are losing that money right now. I don't know how Ford made the Lightning for $32K and the Roush trucks are like $50K+.

Old 09-21-2007, 04:09 PM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
With Roush, you pay for the name. I just read in one of my truck mags that ford is doing another lighting. I could see the 7L boss motor going into a lighting and a special edition stang. Could also be in the super duty as a V-10 replacement.

Old 09-21-2007, 06:45 PM
Level2
Posting Guru
With Roush you also get some of the finest engineered products on the market. Jack won't put his name on crap and Roush helps Ford quite a bit with R&D. I don't think the Roush vehicles are worth what they bring but it is a quality product.

Old 09-23-2007, 03:11 AM
DOHC330MustangGT
Senior User
Thumbs down

In my mustang mag, they saif the F-150 would get a 6.2 liter boss and the stang would get a 5.0 boss, no other details for now.
Ford just doesn't get it. Why is it Nissan has a n/a 3.XL V6 making 330hp? Why is GM getting it done with 1 cam and 2 valves per cylinder with their LSx engines? Why Does Toyota have a bigger engines with more power in the class of our trucks - (4.7 DOHC, 5.7 DOHC to our 4.6/5.4 3v)? If cubes are so bad to you all, why are the Japs and Chevy building bigger and bigger motors with more power every year?

Why is it everyone thinks its so much more expensive to build a good strong V8's for Ford when Chevy does it all day long, and now Toyota and Nissan?

Why can't Ford give us more cubes and power?

I hear everyone complain about it costs too much to build a bigger more powerful engine and gas prices will kill the sales if they do build a real motor to compete, etc.

The fact is, I look in all you guys sigs and you all have big trucks. Gas prices have not made you trade down to a econo-box hybrid vehicle while clipping coupons for groceries in the Sunday paper. Chevy is selling plenty of bid cid and powerful LSx V8's, and Toyota and Nissan are making bigger and more powerful motors every year.

I see people all day long in loaded and tricked out full size SUV's that get crap for MPG. I see people all day long driving the biggest trucks (F350's, Dodge 3500, Chevy 3500) for daily drivers to work wearing a suit and tie and not pulling a thing. The fact is, big, powerful, and fast vehicles are stil selling.

People buy stuff for their capability, because they like it. Some people buy $13X,000 Porches that got 18Xmph, but never go over 100mph. Some folks buy Trucks and never hual anything heavy. People want what they want and if you don't supply it, they'll find someone else who will.

In the case of the Mustang, we've been stuck with these crappy modular engines for too long. The Chevy LSx, and turbo 4cyl's (Evo/STI) are beating up on us and we don't like it. Give the Mustang less weight and more ballz please! Something like a 6.2L SOHC 3v should be standard in the GT while a Cobra should have a 6.2L DOHC 4v. It's going to take that to keep up with the upcoming Camaro Z28 and Dodge Challenger - and the pesky imports! And mass produce it, no special Shelby name, or 300 car run like the 00R and the GT500. It just gives the dealers an excuse to makerup the msrp $20k and in return, kill the sales for FORD!

Ford, give is WTF we want. You have the technology and engineers to at least keep up with the LSx engines and the japs, and should have the technology to not sacrafice more gas milage to do it. And Ford, stop using superchargers to make up for the lack of motor! Build a real darn motor and you won't need all the extra crap of a blower and intercooler (see the GM LS3 vette, etc - power without the need for boost!).

Do this right Ford and your vehicles will sale! You're just not getting it done in the motor dept, everything else is OK by me.

Flame me at will FTE guys.

Last edited by DOHC330MustangGT; 09-23-2007 at 03:18 AM.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:22 AM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
I have a ranger hee hee. GM's moto is, if it isn't broke don't fix it, thier using the same ole push rod tech and motors they've allways used. Ford chose a different route with the more modern single and dohc mod motors. Don't know what yoda's doing or don't care, I don't buy japanese. My 281 cid motor in my 07 stang gt makes 300 hp, a 69 boss 302 with cleveland heads made 290 hp. A 66 hipo 289 had 270. I think thats great hp and torque from a 281 cid engine, with bolt on's you can get 360 or so hp from a 281. The 5.4 is capable of around 400 hp and still be tame. Ford V-8's put out awesome torque for thier size at low rpm's, thats what truck owners need, "torque". HP is for race cars like my stang which also has 320 foot pounds. With all this said, ford is going to build bigger V-8's that are mod motors and more fuel effient and light weight. When fuel goes up, truck sales go down, so it's a fine line thier walking. Ford could do more with the 5.4 if they wanted, like they did with the 2000 cobrs R-380 hp. The new boss motors will be another leap forward in mod motor tech that reach across the board for ford, from stangs to trucks. We really don't care how big the engine is, we care about hp and torque, but the boss motors will have size and power and they will have done it right. However, I'm real happy with my gt, it turns mid 13's in the 1/4 mile stock, 0-60 in 4.9, no 281 cid engine in the musscle car era would run like that and the new shelby 500 KR will have 550 hp. Go get a GM or yoda if you want, I'll stick with my fords thank you as they do get it. Also speaking of V-6's the new 3.5 is a 265 hp motor capale of a super charger or dual turbo's and will soon have a 3.7L version. The ford lighting SC 5.4 at 390 hp was only 1/10th slower than the 500 hp SRT-10 ram with the vipper motor in the quarter, so what will a 500 hp lighting run like, "awesome", I would say.

Old 09-23-2007, 07:43 AM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
As for keeping up with the new camero or challenger, you can slap on a pro charger on your 4.6 and feed them thier lunch with thier bigger motors, or swap in the new boss varrants. I don't have any trouble with the other makes arouns here, even beat some vettes, my 3,800 pound stang runs awesome and in comfort. Turbo 4's, I'll eat SRT-4's all day and I'm not worried about evo's either. The mod motors are far from crappy, they have them running in the 7's at the stripe, alot of racers are putting mod motors in thier older stangs. There isn't the aftermarket yet for the mod motors like there is for the 5.0, up it's catching up "fast", from strokers to heads, the whole 9 yards. If you want more cubes, swap in a 5.4 block, that will take you from 281 to 330. Instead of worring about what you don't have, take the time to search out all the things you can do with what you do have. If you were around in the musscle car era, you would be amazed at what ford has done with only 281 cdubic inches, soon the 5.0 will be back as the standard GT engine, but the mod version. I know what your saying to some degree, but these mods will run even with our small displacement. Get some kooks LT headers, bama tune and cai with udp's and 4:10 gears, you'll be in the 12's and baning LS powewred cars, maybe not the new vettes, but any in your class.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:23 AM
DOHC330MustangGT
Senior User
As for keeping up with the new camero or challenger, you can slap on a pro charger on your 4.6 and feed them thier lunch with thier bigger motors, or swap in the new boss varrants.

I know what your saying to some degree, but these mods will run even with our small displacement. Get some kooks LT headers, bama tune and cai with udp's and 4:10 gears, you'll be in the 12's and baning LS powewred cars, maybe not the new vettes, but any in your class.
This is what sucks^! Why should I have to go buy a darn near $5,000.00 supercharger kit to keep up with the next base model Z28 or Challenger?

I love Ford and it's all I own. But I want a fun and fast car right off the factory floor (in the class of the Mustang GT, Z28, GTO, Challenger, TA,) that won't get stomped by the competiton in its class stock. And if you have cars that spank the Mustang stock, mod for mod they'll always be faster. Kind of like if a GT Mustang and a Cobra had the exact same mods, the Cobra will always beat the GT. You're starting out with a better base of power to begin with.

The same goes for the trucks. They'll all pull, but having that much more power on tap makes it easier and hp/tq + capability sales vehicles.

Ford is way too late with these Boss engines. We needed these engines a long time ago.

And FWIW, my 97 GT with a PI swap runs mid 13's on stock rims/tires. The new 05-07GT hasn't impressed me any more than the PI cars did. It's why I haven't bought a new one yet - it doesn't do anything much better than what I already have.

Mods: aluminum block PI swap from a 04 Ford Explorer, 3:73 gears, FRPP aluminum DS, BBK CAI, Pro-flo MAF, BBK 75mm TB, BBK shorty headers, MAC Prochamber, Mac catback, and a SCT Xcal2 mail order tune from Dynospeed.

Explorer crate motor

Car #22

Best 1/8

Last edited by DOHC330MustangGT; 09-23-2007 at 11:49 AM.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:01 PM
12.5/1
Freshman User
Boss

Originally Posted by DOHCmarauder
So BOSS 302's and BOSS 351's were not worthy either???
Of all the Boss series engines I would say right off the showroom floor the boss 351 was the best. The 429 was detuned and could'nt breath the way it came, the 302 was short on displacement but the 351 screamed. There are some articles I have read claiming the Boss 351 the quickest of all the so called small blocks. Most likely the rarest too.

Old 09-23-2007, 12:31 PM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
I hardly think it's too late for the boss engines as ford is still the best selling p/u in america and they have no problem selling mustangs. Actually, they sell more V-6 stangs than GT's. Getting spanked by something with a larger engine isn't a spanking, go apples to apples and see where they stack up. You have the older 4.6 with the sorry heads, stock it may not have neen impressive, but if that time slip is for your stang, you have nothing to be embarassed about. HP hype and numbers are just that , hype, my daddy's is bigger than your daddy. GTO's have more hp and displacement than us, but don't have any trouble taking them out. Advertized numbers is a selling point from the old hp wars. It has littel to do with real world performance. Not saying our stangs can beat every car out there, but they darn sure hold thier own against cars with alot more displacement. I haven't raced the new camero or challenger, but have raced the new GTO's with good results, made me quite proud of my stang, around here, it's mainlly eclipse and maxima's and older trans ams and camero's and I hold my own quite well against them. Not to mention, the new retro stangs are one of the best looking cars on the road today. Ford is aware of the new camero and challenger, that is why the boss motors will be out, not as much for the trucks as for the stang. As it stands, it's quite impresive to get 365 hp from a 281 cubic inch engine with a few bolt on's or with an aluminum driveshaft, udp's and street slicks, your in the 12's. My 68 mustang GT with a 428 cj and 4 speed turned mid 14's, the 426 hemie's of the day turned high 14's. There's 07 GT at the strip with nothing other than a pro charger, pushing a 3,800 pound car through the 1/4 in high 11's.. Forced induction is an equalizer for us because of our small displacement and it's cheaper than strokers and massive engine work like the 7 second mod motors. If you want more displacement, swap in a 5.4 block, thats a cheap stroker and get you to 330 cid. Rodders won't leave thier cars alone anyway, so nomatter how fast your car is stock, you want it faster and will be screwiing with it, ford knows this, thats why we have ford racing and svt parts. If you want a new power house, there's the 500 hp shelby or the 550 hp shelby 500 KR. Personally, I'm haveing way too much fun romping with my 281 and looking forward to seeing just how much I can get out of it. I would like to do the 5.4 block swap some time, as I would like to stay all motor and have something for the new camero and challenger. I like your car, looks good. I like the 94-98 stangs, never got into the edgey 99-04's and by the looks of it, runs strong as well. I have raced fords since back in the 70's, these new stangs run verywell.

Old 09-23-2007, 05:06 PM
RoyJ
Junior User
The ford lighting SC 5.4 at 390 hp was only 1/10th slower than the 500 hp SRT-10 ram with the vipper motor in the quarter, so what will a 500 hp lighting run like, "awesome", I would say.
Not if it ends up weighting 6500 lbs. The only reason the Lightning was that fast was because of the relatively low weight. But the way the current trned is going makes me feel that won't be the case no more.

A 550 hp GT500 is great and all, but doesn't prevent a Z06/Viper/GT-R from absolutely dusting it in every performance gategory.

Even the Vipers are getting porky. The 600hp SRT is only 0.1s faster than the 500hp LS7, WTF???

Personally, I think the next ZR1/Z07 Vette with the 650hp engine and under 3000lbs weight will beat just about any production sports/supercar.

Old 09-23-2007, 08:44 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
The new LS3 vette is faster in almost every situation than the GT500. This is because the Stang is a fat hog and the Vette with only 435hp weighs in under 3200lbs. Ford should put the GT500 dreivetrain in my 3180lb 88 5.0 LX. That would be the ticket!!!!

Old 09-24-2007, 01:37 AM
DOHC330MustangGT
Senior User
I hardly think it's too late for the boss engines as ford is still the best selling p/u in america and they have no problem selling mustangs. Actually, they sell more V-6 stangs than GT's.
You misunderstood me here. I said "Ford is way too late" not it's too late for the Boss 6.2L.

Getting spanked by something with a larger engine isn't a spanking, go apples to apples and see where they stack up.
You miss the whole point here. I'm trying to get you to see that Ford needs to at least meet the bar with their engines. And even keep the weight even or less than the competition (hope less).

If the next Z28 has a 450hp LS3 in it's next base Z28 for the same price as the Mustang GT, which car do you the hot rodders are going to buy up?

The $30k 4.6L with a 4.6L 3v and 300hp, or a Z28 with a LS3 with 450hp? And what about that Dodge?

There is a fierce market out there for performance cars and people that buy the GT/Cobra and Z28/SS versions don't buy them for the emblems, they buy them for their performance capabilities.

At least I bought my GT thinking along these lines because if I didn't I'd have just bought a V6 Mustang. (It's just the mod motor was new and I had no clue how slow these things were stock and that the after-market was real slow making bolt-ons. Still no heads from all the folks like Edelbrock, Trick Flow, etc.)

You have the older 4.6 with the sorry heads, stock it may not have neen impressive, but if that time slip is for your stang, you have nothing to be embarassed about.
"Had" the 4.6 with crappy heads, cams, and intake. I now have the Aluminum block PI from a 2004 Ford explorer swapped in. Funny how I had to use a family hauler SUV motor to get a light weight aluminum block with some performance in my Mustang. At least now they "get it" and use the aluminum block in the new GT.

The 8.74 and 13.58 is from my 97 on stock tires as you see in the pic at Beech Bend.

HP hype and numbers are just that , hype, my daddy's is bigger than your daddy. GTO's have more hp and displacement than us, but don't have any trouble taking them out. Advertized numbers is a selling point from the old hp wars. It has littel to do with real world performance. Not saying our stangs can beat every car out there, but they darn sure hold thier own against cars with alot more displacement.
The GTO is heavy, but the ones I've seen at the local strip run good.

HP hype? Ford, Chevy, etc., know we have the dyno and drag strip, so if they BS it will be caught.

One example was the 99 Cobra's rated at like 320hp and folks who dyno'd them and raced the strip were pissed when it didn't turn those numbers (rwhp calculated in to fwhp, etc). That's when Ford issued the "Fix" with an extrude honed intake, retune, etc.

I haven't raced the new camero or challenger, but have raced the new GTO's with good results, made me quite proud of my stang, around here, it's mainlly eclipse and maxima's and older trans ams and camero's and I hold my own quite well against them. Not to mention, the new retro stangs are one of the best looking cars on the road today.
Like above, GTO's run strong for their weight. They're really, to me, more of a luxury sports car than a muscle car like a Z28 and mustang where we're supposed to consider power to weight more and sacrifice some luxury for it if we have to.

Where I live, most people who buy the performance cars seem to know how to drive them, mod them, and make it hard on you to keep up. We have 11-12sec 1/4 mile 4cyl imports at the local strip, and lots of modified muscle cars as well.

Old 09-24-2007, 01:37 AM
DOHC330MustangGT
Senior User
Ford is aware of the new camero and challenger, that is why the boss motors will be out, not as much for the trucks as for the stang.
I hope they at least meet the hp/tq, power to weight, braking, handling, and 1/4 mile performance of the competition for an equal to or lower price. The Ford Mustang GT is supposed to be performance for a value ya know.

As it stands, it's quite impresive to get 365 hp from a 281 cubic inch engine with a few bolt on's or with an aluminum driveshaft, udp's and street slicks, your in the 12's.
Modding to get 35hp over Nissans V6 DOHC because we're already down 30hp over their 3.7L V6 is just lame IMHO. I was at the 1/4 mile and watched a Infinity 4 door luxury family sedan (Infinity G35 Sport) run a flat 14 second pass in June - the same day I ran the 13.58 in the heat. This was a heavy stock V6 DOHC family car on a hot day. Here is a line from his sig FWIW "2007 Infiniti G35Sport Sedan w/ premium package 9.1@79 1.8mi 14 @101 1/4mi." I can dig up pictures from Beech Bend for you of him racing beside another G35, both running flat 14's if you want.

My 68 mustang GT with a 428 cj and 4 speed turned mid 14's, the 426 hemie's of the day turned high 14's.
I hope I don't sound harsh because I don't intend this to be mean, but we're not racing old muscle cars here. We're up against the new cars from japs making 300hp turbo 4cyl's, to Infinity G37 coups with 3.7L DOHC v6's pumping out 330hp, GM's LS3 that'll probably be in the Z28, The GTO, and the soon to be Challenger, along with plenty of other cars.

There's 07 GT at the strip with nothing other than a pro charger, pushing a 3,800 pound car through the 1/4 in high 11's.. Forced induction is an equalizer for us because of our small displacement and it's cheaper than strokers and massive engine work like the 7 second mod motors. If you want more displacement, swap in a 5.4 block, thats a cheap stroker and get you to 330 cid.
Like I said before in another post, we shouldn't have to do truck motor swaps in our brand new Mustangs to keep up with the performance of stock cars from the competition. We also shouldn't have to bolt on $5,000 superchargers and risk snapping the cheap junk weak powder metal rods and cast piston in the 4.6 Mustangs. And we darn sure shouldn't have to pull a brand new motor for forged shortblocks, ported heads, and cams (for like $6,000+) to keep up with a stock or bolt on Z28 with a LS3, or a 4cyl STI/EVO with bolt ons.

Rodders won't leave thier cars alone anyway, so nomatter how fast your car is stock, you want it faster and will be screwiing with it, ford knows this, thats why we have ford racing and svt parts.
I'm not in the pro racer game. I'm in the factory bolt on street and strip - drive to work on monday in your hotrod game.

I don't have time to be broken down doing motor swaps, or having a blown up engine from a power adder that wasn't OEM installed. I need factory reliable power that responds to bolt ons to whip the competition. And don't tell me it can't be done "reliably and cost wise" because if japs build 300+hp 4cyl's and folks crank up the boost + bolt ons for more and they hold up, I know Ford can at least do it and what the Chevy LS3 can do performance and hp/tq wise.

People like me (and you) are representing what Ford "can do" by doing bolt ons with our Mustangs, running fast, whipping the competition, and driving home from the strip and to work on Monday. So if you look at it, Ford just needs to give us the "tools" to win against their competitors.

Heck, right now most kids think the only reliable, moddable, and fast cars out there are made my Japs, etc.

All I'm asking for is to have equal performance, price, and bolt on modability in a Mustang GT to its competition. I'm not in to built motors, blowers, and all that. I just want my factory performance to beat the competition in stock v/s stock and when it comes to bolt ons, I want it to respond better than the competition mod for mod.

All of you should demand this. It's your money so at least ask for what you want performance wise - don't be scared and take up for Ford when you know they can do better! Besides, why stand around and be beat by the competition, or have to spend twice as much to keep up with them?

If a Chevy guy (when the Z28 comes out) can buy a camaro for the same price as your GT, and spank you all day long stock while you have thousands in bolt ons, it's just lame to sit back and think Ford is doing fine job with the Mustang.

It's already lame a g35 4 door Infinity runs flat 14's stock with a 330hp 3.7L DOHC V6 and we're 30hp down with a V8 in the GT and don't run much better stock.

Last edited by DOHC330MustangGT; 09-24-2007 at 02:36 AM.

Quick Reply: First sighting Boss v8