Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Marked Diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 02:27 PM
mudmaker
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I havent done it on my current pickup, but my 99 had and auxtank on the flatbed for equipment. I had the aux tank plumbed into the pickups fuel system. I ran it on red most of the time. had my tanks dipped occasionally and never had a problem. the factory tank had 1/2 tank of clear all the time. I have heard of dot checking the fuel filter, but on a psd it isnt as easy as a big truck.

Old 07-23-2007, 02:49 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ran it for awhile in LA. after the Hurricanes (that is all there was), after coming back to Bama, I was dipped just north of Mobile and since I still had all my Relief badging and signage still on my truck was given a pass by the DOT. It was explained to me at that time that I had 3 months to change my filter and clean my tanks (appearently this stuff stains parts), and I was to keep reciepts in my truck for the last 3 fill up's to prove it was taxed.

Old 07-23-2007, 02:50 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Do they have to have a warrant to spot check you, or can you refuse to let them do it? I'm just wondering. Seems like a privacy issue to me. I hate big government.

Old 07-23-2007, 05:51 PM
Rusty01
Senior User
Originally Posted by HKusp
Do they have to have a warrant to spot check you, or can you refuse to let them do it? I'm just wondering. Seems like a privacy issue to me. I hate big government.
I have heard of that! they mite not be allowed without you opening your fuel cap. Don't know if its true though??

Old 07-23-2007, 06:26 PM
zstyle01
Senior User
we run it our generators (carnival business) and the only time we ever put it in our truck to pull our tt we got caught and cost us $2000 near globe, az.

Old 07-23-2007, 06:38 PM
twjull
Junior User
Dipping you tank is not a privacy issue if you are on a public road. It's no different than police having probable cause to search your vehicle during a road stop!

Hey just walk away from the red diesel, just walk away. Its for the farmers, no one else, they lobbied for it years ago because they were poor and helpless. Everyone else just leave it alone!!

Old 07-23-2007, 06:40 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Rusty01
I have heard of that! they mite not be allowed without you opening your fuel cap. Don't know if its true though??
the DOT can inspect you at any time, or they can not let you drive on their road.(even though our tax dollars paid for it). The agent asked me if he could dip my tank, I had nothing to hide so I said yes. My understanding is on a COMMERCIAL vehicle they can inspect at will, no ifs, ands, or buts, but I think on a private vehicle they must have a reasonable suspicion, ( I.E. a transfer pump tank in the bed, towing a tractor or other ag. equipment)

Old 07-23-2007, 06:57 PM
matttaubert
Freshman User
Undyed fuel is not just for farmers it is basically for off road use in non-highway vehicles. I had my tank dipped two weeks ago in MN. Law is very clear on no tax fuel, hard to feel sorry for anyone who gets caught when as is this case with most of these types of laws most people follow the rules.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:12 AM
bigjake0524
Senior User
Originally Posted by twjull
Dipping you tank is not a privacy issue if you are on a public road. It's no different than police having probable cause to search your vehicle during a road stop!

Hey just walk away from the red diesel, just walk away. Its for the farmers, no one else, they lobbied for it years ago because they were poor and helpless. Everyone else just leave it alone!!
This kind of sounds ignorant to say. Sorry just thought I would call this one. I do construction and I use dyed non taxable fuel in my equipment but not in my personal vehicle. Why should you have to pay road tax on vehicles that dont drive on the road. If you want I will run taxable diesel in my excavator and dozer and come and run some stuff over in your neighborhood....

Old 07-24-2007, 08:53 AM
dartman48
Freshman User
Marked, or Red Dye diesel is for "off-road" equipment as classified by DOT. CARB was even looking for Refer Units in our yard (refer unit on a garbage truck?). They can inspect ANY commercial vehicle at any time without probable cause. The alternative to not allowing the inspection is, O.K. you don't drive on our roads.
The statement "just walk away from Red Dye" is true, true, true.

Old 09-14-2007, 03:07 PM
MSB6
Junior User
I was wondering about running a couple gal of off road per tank and use it as an additive but if it only takes a few ounces to get busted than no way. My Dad told me about a guy in Missouri that used to run a little red ATF in his diesel p/u and got dipped. I think he had a tough time talking his way out of it but didn't get fined somehow. Anyone ever get their tanks dipped in Georgia???

Old 09-14-2007, 05:14 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by MSB6
Anyone ever get their tanks dipped in Georgia???
you will if you have a transfer tank in your bed or a Farm Tag on your truck. If you have DOT numbers or are towing and look overloaded you are also more likely to be pulled over.

P.S. The ATF is not a good additive for your PSD it has to many detergents. 2 stroke oil is much better.
Look here for a good thread on additives https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...study-2-a.html

Old 09-14-2007, 07:44 PM
twjull
Junior User
Guys,

Just walk away from the red diesel, just walk away. Pretend like it doesn't exist.

It's really not worth the risk!!

Old 09-14-2007, 10:19 PM
warrens250
Senior User
Rusty:
All the above posts and comments apply to using off-road marked diesel in the States. I see you are in BC Canada. I have no idea what the law and rules are up there. You need to find out, and understand the penalty if caught using it in the highways. It is pretty serious down here.
I used my truck on a ranch fueling a combine with red diesel. I made sure I pumped the tank as empty as I could, then switched to fueling gasoline trucks and ran a few batchs through my bulk tank. It doesn't look pink, so I guess I'm safe to go back to diesel for my own truck.
Warren

Old 09-15-2007, 12:32 AM
cyclical
Junior User
Until today... I had no idea this red diesel was out there, let alone that one could get pulled over and "dipped" to check.

Interesting, great information here at FTE as always...

Quick Reply: Marked Diesel?