Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dream Bronco

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 02:53 PM
THE KING
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dream Bronco

Im wanting to start my dream project. Ive had 2 broncos before but im really thinking about doing this. Buying a 78 or 79 Bronco and putting a powerstroke diesel in it and 3/4 ton axles. I already have a chassis that includes a 3/4 ton frame, Dana 70 rear axle and 44 HD up front with hydro assist steering. Also a devorse transfer case. I would have to cut the frame down and i can make my own body and motor/ trans mounts. Has anyone done this before? I want to go with the 99-03 powerstroke 7.3. Im pretty good with wiring and i want to use all the wiring out of the superduty so i can chip it. I would also go with a 5 speed man. trans. And of course a lift kit and huge tires. I think it would make for one ultimate truck other than the heavyness of the diesel. You would be able to take the truck anywhere. Also a flip up front end, i cant forget that. What do you guys think?

Old 07-21-2007, 05:37 PM
Red Ford Truck
Posting Guru
Talking I see why they call you THE KING.

Originally Posted by THE KING
Im wanting to start my dream project. Ive had 2 broncos before but im really thinking about doing this. Buying a 78 or 79 Bronco and putting a powerstroke diesel in it and 3/4 ton axles. I already have a chassis that includes a 3/4 ton frame, Dana 70 rear axle and 44 HD up front with hydro assist steering. Also a devorse transfer case. I would have to cut the frame down and i can make my own body and motor/ trans mounts. Has anyone done this before? I want to go with the 99-03 powerstroke 7.3. Im pretty good with wiring and i want to use all the wiring out of the superduty so i can chip it. I would also go with a 5 speed man. trans. And of course a lift kit and huge tires. I think it would make for one ultimate truck other than the heavyness of the diesel. You would be able to take the truck anywhere. Also a flip up front end, i cant forget that. What do you guys think?
That sounds like the ultimate Bronco.

And I'm glad to see you're not going to do it to the 66 to 77 Bronco because the only true beast is the 78/79 bronco IMHO no disrespect to the others ment.

I look forward to seeing the finished product.

Cheers , Rick.

Old 07-22-2007, 03:17 AM
roger dowty
Posting Guru
you shouldn't have ay probems finding a 7.3 with 5 speed zf tranny.

IMO...no way shoud you go with dana 44 hd. 7.3's have had some issues with 1 ton front ends due to weight. You need 1 ton everything up front. I don't think the frame is really an issue unless your going to copy a centurian.

Old 07-22-2007, 10:51 AM
kenpobuck
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds good to me. I want to do the same to my 88 but I will use an older 6.9 or 7.3 IDI. If you find a complete donor you can swap it all over. This would be helpful going with computer controlled Power Stroke. Also you might want to consider boxing the frame for extra support. Also a small body lift will help with any clearance issues.