Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air conditioning problems on an '03

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 09:28 PM
FordxFour
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A friend of mine was having the same problem. I remembered reading on here about the automatic headlight feature. He had always left his on auto, and the climate control would go dead about once a week. I suggested not using the auto feature, and it hasn't happened since. About a week ago we cut the headlights on auto just to see what would happen, and what do you know, about 5 minutes later the climate control went blank.

Edit: Monsta, it would be interesting in knowing if manual controls could be used to replace the climate control unit...

Old 08-20-2009, 09:29 PM
whatapiece
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IT'S FIXED!!!

I could not wait until the morning so I just went outside to test one of these methods. I read on another thread about turning on and off the headlights while the power supply is on. Well, I turned the key to accessories and made sure it was not working still (all dead). I proceeded to turn the headlights ON and then OFF two seconds later - UNBELIEVABLE! It instantly turned on and is working fine now. Not sure how or why, and don't really care. I do care that Ford doesn't seem to know why and are selling people expensive head units. Or maybe they do know???

Case closed for me! Next time I will try the keyfob locking method.

The internet is awesome! Thanks everyone!!

2003 7.3L 182,000

Old 07-28-2010, 11:29 AM
verotik66
Freshman User
Lol, my air went out on me today, the whole unit not display anything, sure enough i come home check out the old forum, switch my lights from auto, everything is back!

Old 12-03-2010, 03:32 PM
doug.c
New User
Ford A/C Heater issue

I have a 2006 motorhome on a Ford chassis, believe it's F53 or P53?. Anyway my blower quit working also. The strange thing is, when I turn the control **** to any position for a/c or heat the back lighting comes on behind the panel and nothing works. If I switch on my headlights the back lighting goes off. My headlights and other dash lights work but my a/c heat panel still does nothing?

Old 08-01-2011, 02:19 PM
VR6Nutt
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
BUMP - because my wife just had this problem in 90deg heat. She calls me, I search FTE - a voila! Back in business after trying the proven methods in this thread. Thanks FTE!!! Now to find a permanent cure for this issue.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:32 PM
Forest
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by VR6Nutt
BUMP - because my wife just had this problem in 90deg heat. She calls me, I search FTE - a voila! Back in business after trying the proven methods in this thread. Thanks FTE!!! Now to find a permanent cure for this issue.
Let us know if you find a permanent cure. Maybe you can find what the problem really is. I have never seen anyone with a logical explanation for this. My 2005 Ex occasionally does the same (dead/black A/C control unit). All I do now is the auto headlight off/on trick and that has fixed it every time (so far).

Old 08-02-2011, 08:08 PM
airjeff
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just glanced through this thread this morning. Guess who call me an hour later? Yup, my wife called and told me the display turned off for a while when she was driving. We'll have to try out the headlight switch trick. Here is a funny thing though, the A/C compressor kept working because the rear had cold air. So, the display died, fan stopped up front, but the rear still worked.

After all this time no one has figured out the real cause?

Old 08-03-2011, 07:53 AM
perryg114
More Turbo
Since most of these problems are on Diesels that have much higher vibration levels I would check for loose connections and wires that have been cut in half from rubbing on a piece of sharp metal. My old truck Ford IDI had some electrical problems when the plastic conduit actually sawed through the wires where the wires come out of the conduit. By conduit, I mean that black plastic accordian stuff that has a slit on one side and is then wrapped with electrical tape. Once a connection is broken you probably have to reboot to get it working again.

Perry

Old 03-10-2012, 06:22 PM
gotpcproblems
New User
Thanks Forest had this problem today Head light trick worked like a champ would have never figured that out.

Old 08-24-2012, 02:48 AM
Big Green Bus
New User
never fails, I have a problem with my X and I google it and it brings me here and most problems solved this site is the best!
My a/c had the power out issue, switched the headlights off then on...BINGO cold air again!!

Old 08-25-2012, 12:33 AM
Bend Beast
New User
Different A/C Problem on 04

I have an 04 X 6.0. My AC problem is a little different. The AC will work intermittantly blowing cold, then warm, when towing blowtorch hot. Hed unit is lit up. The compressor seems to be working correctly, as the AC is real cold when it is working. The AC Tech at a local shop says I have to bring it in when it is broke, but when I have tried, it is OK. Any help???

Old 08-25-2012, 06:33 AM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
Originally Posted by Bend Beast
I have an 04 X 6.0. My AC problem is a little different. The AC will work intermittantly blowing cold, then warm, when towing blowtorch hot. Hed unit is lit up. The compressor seems to be working correctly, as the AC is real cold when it is working. The AC Tech at a local shop says I have to bring it in when it is broke, but when I have tried, it is OK. Any help???
You need to start a new thread instead of "hijacking" an old thread that has very little to do with your AC problem or you could also try searching for hot or warm AC in the Excursion forum.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:40 AM
Mattb60
Senior User
Too cool.

This happened to me today for the first time and this was the second thread on the board when I looked.

Thanks guys

Old 09-06-2012, 08:03 AM
5wests
Senior User
Lights on-lights off-climate control on

Crazy glitch this these things have. Mine would almost always come back on after turning the truck off and restarting. My wife drives it with automatic headlights on and it sat for some time after the last time she drove it. Went to my first troubleshooting resource (here), went back out, cycled the lights and presto....like magic the climate control panel lit up. So glad to be a member here!

Old 06-05-2015, 04:30 PM
Ex PoliceInterceptor
New User
Talking Blank a/c face

Never had issue with a/c until today. Walked into bank came out started car and no a/c. Got on forum and followed some of the advice posted and guess what it works now. Specifically I used my alarm and reset it twice took headlights of auto mode . Thanks Excursion PeePs.

Quick Reply: Air conditioning problems on an '03