dana 44 preload

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 08:22 PM
$Simpleman76
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dana 44 preload

I assembled my dana 44 carrier the other day using setup bearings, I had good preload on the carrier going in, good backlash, and good tooth pattern. when I pressed my new bearings on the carrier and installed it, but i didn't have very much preload on the carrier bearings, I still had good backlash and good tooth pattern. is this possibly a big deal I did not have any side to side movement of the carrier and I had not oiled the bearings yet, I would have taken it back apart but I have no idea how to remove the carrier bearings without rendering them unusable to the point I have to purchase a new set and be back in the same boat again, is this a big deal or am I just to picky, I am hoping that the worst thing that will happen is it will be a little noisy, and being I don't plan on doing much wheeling maybe I will be ok, but if I need to go back into it then now is the time being it is out of the truck, but i need a way to remove the bearing without tearing them up
thanks

Old 07-18-2007, 01:30 AM
WarWagon
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not sure I understand what you were trying to do in the first place. Did you change the gearset or just replace the carrier bearings?