Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulsating brakes after head gasket job

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 07:00 PM
neevnav
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pulsating brakes after head gasket job

So here's the problem. When I finished doing the head gaskets on my girls 89 F-150 5.0 all of the sudden the brake pedal was pulsating, which it wasn't doing before the repair. It was sitting for about a month during the repair and when we went to push it out of the shop it seemed like one caliper was stuck on.

Now when she goes to brake the pedal pulsates really badly like a rotor is very warped. But it doesn't pull in either direction and I jacked up the front end and spun both wheels and neither seemed like they were warped, they spun cleanly and didn't bind.

So is it likely my rears? I pulled both drums off and they seem alright. I have little experience doing drum brakes so I'm unsure. Any insight would be appreciated.

Mike

Old 07-12-2007, 07:12 PM
Skandocious
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just because the tires spin freely and it doesn't pull doesn't mean you're rotors aren't warped. Now I'm not saying that they ARE warped, but don't rule that out as a possibility. I had warped rotors for months and my truck never pulled and did not bind when I jacked up the wheels and spun them. Warped rotors seems like the most obvious cause for your problem, although I'm not sure how it could have happened while you replacing head gaskets... Good luck!

Old 07-12-2007, 07:13 PM
neevnav
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alright something I will definately check.