1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Shifter knob

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 06:08 PM
geargirl
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Shifter ****

I need some simple help here. I need to know how I can take my shifter **** off of my 2001 Ford Ranger. I am wanting to put a custom **** on it and I can't figure out how to get the factory one off. Does anyone know how???

Old 07-10-2007, 10:22 PM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I assume you mean for a manual truck?

A hair dryer or any other good head generating device, do it outside in the sun. Use the hair dryer and heat up the bottom of the shift **** as much as you possibly can. You're doing anything you can to get it real nice and warm. In Texas 105 degree heat, it'll pop right off, so 'round there should be good.

The **** is just held on with glue, so once it's warmed up a firm tug (or a 1-2 shift ) and it'll pop right off in your hand. Clean the stick up a little bit, and you're good to go.

Many of the aftermarket "one size fits all" shift ***** that are held on with set screws tend to work loose and rattle after a while. I fought them for a good three months, several different ones, trying everything I could to quiet it down. I ended up getting an old school OEM Chevrolet automatic shift **** and pounding it onto the lever. Now I may have to get a hacksaw to take it off.

Hope it helps.