Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wipers quit....

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 09:12 AM
hogdogs
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wipers quit....

I am sure this is already on here but my slow azz dial up SUX!!!! truck is a 90 f-150 wipere are delay. Had needed to give a LIGHT tap under switch to get low speed and delay and high speed has never been fast since I owned it. Turned on the switch last light and got a relay cycling sound similar to a high speed turn signal click.... What went out?
Thanx in advance....
Brent

Old 07-13-2007, 09:18 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 971 Likes on 767 Posts
The wiper motor siezed up. Consider yourself lucky it happened in the driveway, I had them quit on the freeway in the fast lane at 70mph, after dark in freezing rain!!

You'll have to remove the cowling at the base of the windshield to get to the wiper motor. Have fun....

Old 07-13-2007, 10:01 AM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
check the wiper module, i think it is behind glovebox.

see if that is what is clicking.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:04 AM
enesbitt2007
New User
Ford wiper motors are fun . I did one last night and ended up knocking some vacuum lines loose. Yippee Any way it's not that hard to swap out but definitely get a new one and save the hassle of having to change it again in a few months. I learned the hard way Have Fun

Old 07-13-2007, 11:22 AM
Liemavick
Senior User
Originally Posted by hogdogs
I am sure this is already on here but my slow azz dial up SUX!!!! truck is a 90 f-150 wipere are delay. Had needed to give a LIGHT tap under switch to get low speed and delay and high speed has never been fast since I owned it. Turned on the switch last light and got a relay cycling sound similar to a high speed turn signal click.... What went out?
Thanx in advance....
Brent
Im not saying it is or isn't the motor, BUT it sounds like the little black box in the dash. If you can duplicate the clicking sound stick your ear next to the switch. If it sounds like its coming from there its the relay/speed control box. Remove the switch ***** and the cover panel. trace the wire harness for the wipers and you'll find a black box 2"x2" square. They are known to have solder points crack on the speed control circuit. You'll notice it says "Do not drop" printed on the outside, yet Ford located it so it gets a knock everytime to release the parking brake. They can be resoldered, Ive done mine about 3 times over the years. I finally found one in the junk yard, Ive yet to install it cause mine is working most of the time after a thump on the panel ;-)

Old 07-15-2007, 11:07 AM
hogdogs
Senior User
We now have 2 possible causes for this... the speed control of the motor.
I relay sounding clicking quit but volt meter shows severe draw when switch is on...
Which is best test to rule out the good part to buy only one part?
Brent

Old 07-15-2007, 11:14 AM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
that is the $64,000 question.

Old 07-15-2007, 11:31 AM
Liemavick
Senior User
Getting at the black box isnt as hard as it sounds. It disassembles fairly easy so you can have a look at the circuit board. You may need a magnafying glass to see the hairline crack in the solder. It would probably be worth your while to at least check this before throwing parts at the job imo. I'll be happy to get some pics if it will help you out.

B

Old 07-15-2007, 11:36 AM
NeXtras
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the clicking is just the relays going, pretty normal, my wipers are slowing up and sometimes the motor wont engaugge unless i force it to or move the switch back and fourth a few times... not always fun, especially after you just sprayed the window with the washer fluid and then realize the wipers arent working.. NOT too fun... ive been told to replace the core or to grease the linkages