Need ECM for 5.0 MAF engine - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
Computer Chips & Tuners  

Need ECM for 5.0 MAF engine

Old 07-05-2007, 08:35 PM
chloichina
Senior User
chloichina is starting off with a positive reputation.
Need ECM for 5.0 MAF engine

Here is the problem I have a 1991 5.0 HO motor with a T5 tranny. I thought I had a MAF ECM from the 1991 but found I had a Speed Density computer ECM. So now I pose the question what would be the best ECM for me and from what vehicle? Do I need to get a computer from a manual tranny vehicle or can I use the one from a Automatic? I know the auto's have a higher performance computer. My truck is a 1960 Ford/Merc and I would like to get a 93 Cobra ECM but is it worth it trying to get it or should I just get one from anything that would work. I plan to get a programable computer later (ie AEM) but just want to get most of the bugs figured out prior to that jump. Any info would help and just to let you know the truck is going to be a daily driver and due to fuel costs I would like to stay with the EFI.
Thanks Butch

Old 07-06-2007, 09:44 AM
Conanski
Post Fiend
Conanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant future
If you just want to get the motor running as it is right now the SD computer will be fine.. all you need is the matching engine wiring harness for that computer. Stangs were sequential fire SD in '87-88, and MAF from '89 on, these are best performance options for you. The Cobra was calibrated for 24lb injectors so you would need to change these to make it work optimally. Some '94-96 light trucks(E150 and F150 series) were also EEC-IV SEFI mass air, this ECU/harness will also run the HO though calibration may not be as agressive as the Stang version. OBDII also appeared on light trucks in 96 so you would have to be carefull to double check or this. You would want a manual tranny version BTW, the later automatics were computer controlled and would throw codes if they don't see the tranny.

Last edited by Conanski; 07-06-2007 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:06 PM
chloichina
Senior User
Thanks that helps out a lot, tells me where to go. I believe the 89 on computer for the 5.0 stang would be best for right now and they don't cost to much and I have all the sensors for a 91 5.0 MAF. Thanks for the knowlege about the tranny. I just wish I could use the computer out of a Crown vic so many out there at the junk yards.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:31 PM
ecu repair
New User
ecu repair is starting off with a positive reputation.
ecu's

hey if you need an ecu or ecu repair tell me your name model, year, engine size and drivetrain ect. and im sure i can get one for ya.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:54 AM
chloichina
Senior User
Well I need a ECU. I have a 1991 5.0 engine with stock injectors right now but I have no problem getting the 24lb hr injectors. Right now I will be driving the truck with a T5 tranny might upgrade if it has any hint of a problem. So a simple Mustang Mass Air ECU for a manual tranny would be fine. I would like the Cobra ECU but the cost could be prohibitive. If you have anything that would work that would be fine.

Thanks for the reply

Old 10-08-2007, 04:59 PM
ecu repair
New User
ecu repair is starting off with a positive reputation.
well tomarrow i'll check and let you know what i got. what about 60.00? it'll be all rebuilt and testing perfect, sand blaster case, repainted and ready to go.

Old 11-03-2007, 06:46 AM
64fordf100292
Senior User
64fordf100292 is starting off with a positive reputation.
if you go and get a coimputer from a mustang, try the get the A9L. from what i have read, they are one of the best computers. from my understanding, they have the most aggressive programming for the 5.0. good luck. also, hop over to the 60 forum. there is loads of info there on the old trucks.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:45 PM
chloichina
Senior User
The A9L I believe requires 24lb injectors and I am staying with the 19lb injectors for the time being. But the A9L is a thought just halfto talk the wife into spending more money when I am already over budget.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.