Which Spark Plugs ????

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 06:23 AM
jamies460
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Which Spark Plugs ????

Hello, with these new Edelbrock alloy heads ( 61649 ) the paper-work that came with them states to use the Champion RC-12YC spark plugs, I went down to the auto store to buy 8, they had them in stock but on the box it stated - for use in Toyota 2 litre ? they do look like the standard 460ci spark plug I was using before only longer !!! Could some-one let me know if the RC-12YC are the right plugs, Thanks Jamie. Australia. ( As it sounds a bit odd )

Old 07-05-2007, 09:59 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Jamie are you sure of that number that is a plug for lawn and garden tractors.

But going to the autolite website and using thier convertion I come up with autolite plugs 3924 for standard resistor core plugs in a daily driver or AR3924 for racing plugs are the ones that are a cross reference for that number you gave.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:45 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I put Champions in my lawn mower when I can't get Bosh. Champs are junk in a truck or boat.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:19 PM
jamies460
Senior User
Hello Monsterbaby, Thats what it states with the Edelbrock paper-work ( Use 14mm reach gasketed spark plugs- Champion RC-12YC or equivalent ) As the heads are not on the motor yet I tried one of my old 460ci spark plugs it was around 7-10mm short of the combustion chamber ! with those part numbers you gave me what brand are they ? as I have only seen NGK, Bosh, Champion plugs for a Ford down here, Thanks Jamie.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:52 PM
Bear 45/70
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by arctic y block
I put Champions in my lawn mower when I can't get Bosh. Champs are junk in a truck or boat.
Strange all Johson and Evinrudes and OMC sterndrives came with Champions and back in the old days so did the Mercury and Mercruisers.

I would suspect that Edelbrock did a bunch of research to come up with that plug recommendation. But then I'm sure you know more the Edelbrocks engineers.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:50 AM
ejolliffe
Senior User
Call Edlebrock and confirm the number. Also ask the tech if they can give you a conversion for another brand.

Old 07-06-2007, 02:11 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
When my Evinrudes/Johnson's And Volvo or OMC need plugs. And yes I have a fleet of them. I go with Ford recommended on the inboards and either Bosch or anything but Champions in the others. I have had nothing but problems with them. Maybe Edlebrock and Champion have some kind of contract. Boy I hope not. I like Edlebrock. Not trying to stir anything up here just stating my opinion from 30+ years of exsperiance.

Old 07-06-2007, 03:05 PM
Bear 45/70
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by arctic y block
When my Evinrudes/Johnson's And Volvo or OMC need plugs. And yes I have a fleet of them. I go with Ford recommended on the inboards and either Bosch or anything but Champions in the others. I have had nothing but problems with them. Maybe Edlebrock and Champion have some kind of contract. Boy I hope not. I like Edlebrock. Not trying to stir anything up here just stating my opinion from 30+ years of exsperiance.
I won 2 National High Point Championships and set 3 records on Champions, sounds like junk to me.

Old 07-06-2007, 03:14 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Well good for you. Maybe they have changed over the years. The last I bought was in the 70's when I would buy by the case for tune ups on Small block chev's in one of the three shops I owned at the time. One out of every 8 boxes would fail out of the box. They would nether replace or give back the $$. So I just quit stocking them. JMHO Sorry

Old 07-06-2007, 03:35 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot
normally stay out of these types but same thing never had any luck with champions except in lawnmowers if you replace them every year, and in some mopars. tried them many times in the 70s and early 80s and never had a single one last past 6000 miles in a ford or GM product, and I do mean never. I will say they worked pretty good in the mercury outboards and my dirt bike but never in a car.
Basically yes I will say it they are junk to me. I run autolites in ford products and aftermarket and have had great luck, run AC delco in GM products and no problems, Champions only in a mopar if it's stock otherwise NGK or autolite.

Last edited by monsterbaby; 07-06-2007 at 03:37 PM.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:09 AM
jamies460
Senior User
Hey Guys, I found this web site ( Championsparkplugs.com ) Entered part number RC-12YC, and found out this plug goes into a few hundred vehicles, Fords, Bentley,Chev, ranging from a 1.6 litre to the V8's they even had a picture of the plug and it is same as what I saw down here in the auto store ! I have not decided on what brand to buy yet, either Champion or Bosch, At least I know the part number to cross reference for other brands, And thanks for the debate !!!! Jamie, Australia.

Old 07-07-2007, 07:14 AM
kotzy
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There seems to be a reluctance to use Champion. Let me tell you of a finding this week. Pulled the plugs on an 04 Subaru which has had most all of its 34xxx miles put on it at highway speed. The engine was running fine but due to leave on a long trip. Now the gap on the RC10YC4' s was .044 from the factory, the erosion in the miles mentioned was about .007, the electrodes were still fairly sharp. This is on a plug that you can buy for a buck and change. I had posted about Champion earlier in another forum and stated in the fleet I worked for we had some problems with the lower portion of the porcelain breaking up in the shell and dropping down shielding the gap. This caused us to seek another vendor. Looking back I feel that it was an isolated occurance that we judged a little harshly. My two cents.

kotzy

Last edited by kotzy; 07-07-2007 at 07:17 AM.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:11 PM
Bear 45/70
Post Fiend
You guys all hate Fram oil filters too, but if they are so much junk, why do they sell so damn many of them?

Old 07-07-2007, 12:17 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot
Bear thats really not a good way to go about it nor is it proof that either fram filters or champion plugs are worth a hill of beans. We know the Bosch platinum plus 4s are a snake oil doesn't do squat plug but they sold millions of them, how about the tornado proven many, many times that it's a gimmick yet they sold a heck of a lot of those too, does the fact that they are now millionaires mean that the tests are all wrong and the tornado really is a great item? Hey cigerattes must actually be a great thing too since they sold so many of them, I mean the fact they cause cancer, take all your money, make your breath stink, smell up your car, yellow the interiour of your house etc, etc I mean if they are junk how come they sell so many?
See my point I don't care how many they sell, that doesn't make them good.

fact is they sell so many cause they got places like walley world to carry them, they are cheap and people will choose cheap and easy access over proven better everytime, you get what you pay for though personally things like frame filters well lets see I save $3 on a filter and take a risk with a $15,000 engine.

Oh and Jamie if my only choices were champion and bosch I would opt for the champion personally. but if I could get them I would go autolite or ngk.

Last edited by monsterbaby; 07-07-2007 at 12:24 PM.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:29 PM
Bear 45/70
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by monsterbaby
Bear thats really not a good way to go about it nor is it proof that either fram filters or champion plugs are worth a hill of beans. We know the Bosch platinum plus 4s are a snake oil doesn't do squat plug but they sold millions of them, how about the tornado proven many, many times that it's a gimmick yet they sold a heck of a lot of those too, does the fact that they are now millionaires mean that the tests are all wrong and the tornado really is a great item? Hey cigerattes must actually be a great thing too since they sold so many of them, I mean the fact they cause cancer, take all your money, make your breath stink, smell up your car, yellow the interiour of your house etc, etc I mean if they are junk how come they sell so many?
See my point I don't care how many they sell, that doesn't make them good.

Oh and Jamie if my only choices were champion and bosch I would opt for the champion personally. but if I could get them I would go autolite or ngk.
If Fram filters were as bad as you guys claim, BTW Consumers Union diagrees with you guys, and their filter were ruining engines, don't you think some shister lawyer would have gotten a class action going by now?

I general only run Champions and have for many decades, even while working as a factory certed mechanic. But then maybe I was just lucky with only have 4 or 5 bad plugs in only God knows how many thousands. No product is perfect and one bad one doesn't make them all bad. But it's pointless to argue with people who have made up their minds and don't want to be bothered with facts.

Quick Reply: Which Spark Plugs ????