Wicked Wheel fragility,

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 01:56 PM
erik_bishop
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wicked Wheel fragility,

All,
I just installed my Wicked wheel into my turbo, i opted for the complete turbo removal from the eingine compartment, i went ahead and did my pedistal o-rings top and bottom. During the disassemly of the turbo things went good, took a bit of WD-40 soaking to losen up most of the bolts but i got it apart and removed the stock impeller, gently with freshly washed hands i placed the wicked wheel onto the shaft and tightened it up. gave it turn to see how smooth and pretty it was, then went to install the housing back on. here is where i got scared, the housing touched the wheel, and would not turn with the assistance of a finger. i pulled the housing back off and then it turned free again, no visual damage or bending of any of the blades. i put a bit more torque on the wicked wheel and then installed the housing again. now with a finger flick the wheel turnes nice and smooth. put every thing back together and no un-pleasent sounds can be heard, except for the sweet rumble of 5" exhaust.

any way did i damage my wicked wheel by touching/holding it with the housing ?

and why did the housing turn yellow ? i used WD-40 to loosen bolts and clened it up with a rag, it was nice and silver now its ugly dull yellow ?

Old 06-21-2007, 04:20 PM
PETE'S_6.0PSD
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well if you didnt bent the fins on WW you fine, and it turned yellow cause oil that was left on the housing got burned, thats the only explanation i can give to you , try to clean it off with solvent and let it dry,

Old 06-21-2007, 04:33 PM
ernesteugene
Postmaster
It doesn't sound to me like you hurt anything. I watched mine being changed at a diesel shop, and removing the turbo is by far the safest option. The turbine is much more brittle and prone to chipping than the compressor wheel, and sticking a screwdriver in there to wedge it so you can remove the compressor wheel with the turbo on the truck might chip the turbine. The compressor wheel is self tightening under normal load, so it shouldn't come loose unless you belch a giant whoosh of back flow out the intake which could tend to loosen it. During installation you should've checked the turbo bearing to see if it has excessive wear by grabbing the compressor wheel and checking the end and side play. If you didn't do this, do it the next time you have the intake to the turbo disconnected for some reason.

Old 06-21-2007, 04:47 PM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
[QUOTE=ernesteugene]sticking a screwdriver in there to wedge it so you can remove the compressor wheel with the turbo on the truck might chip the turbine.
QUOTE]

if you use an impact there is no need to wedge it

Old 06-21-2007, 04:47 PM
erik_bishop
Senior User
glad to hear i prob did not hurt it, i was kinda nervous.

eugene,
i did give it a bit of a wiggle when i was in process of removal, i remember reading to check that when you do change you wheel out, i did not mention that earlyer. it seemed to be nice and tight.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:40 PM
jwhitetail
Posting Guru
Does it run any better that's the key to any mod?

Old 06-21-2007, 08:50 PM
countrystrokin'
Junior User
I have seen onthe mantice and mods thread, you can do it eather way removing the tubro or not. I guess you should remove it ?