2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Tire Pressure Sensor Fault

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 05:24 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Triboy
I brought a lawsuit against Ford on the issue under the lemon law. I wanted them to purchase the Expy back. After many months we just settled the case a few weeks ago. It didn't end up going to court and it didn't turn out how I wanted with them buying it back.

In the end they cut me a check. I believe I'm bound under the terms of the settlement not to talk about the details so I won't but it was enough that I was comfortable taking the settlement in place of the buy back. I still have the Expy and I'm trying to decide what to do with it now. The problem is still a problem but I am still able to continue to take it to the dealer to have them work on it under the terms of the factory warranty if I end up keeping it. It only has 18k on it so I might battle it out with the dealer for a while more before giving up on getting it corrected.

I went everywhere I could within Ford to get them to do something with out any resolve. The moral is enough pressure from the right source will help them change their standpoint. It just might take awhile.
Have you looked into replacing the strap style sensors with valve style sensors? I have heard they will work with our system. You can pick these up on Ebay pretty cheap.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:14 AM
dolphans1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there a way to disconnect the siren or horn...?

I am having this same issue and the noise drive you nuts...

d-1

Old 12-28-2008, 10:36 AM
Newton007
Senior User
I guess I am lucky (so far) because my 07 tire pressure sensor system works perfect @10,000 miles. Which makes me wonder, if mine works fine, why don't yours? Sounds like a cop out by Ford to me. I.E. They don't want to deal with it. They would rather cut a check and hope you go away than really fix the problem.

Sad, no wonder the car companies are going under.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:36 AM
IQ9
Senior User
I agree very sad. I hope you take some of that money and see if you can get the feature removed or buy an aftermarket system. Good Luck!

Old 09-22-2010, 08:56 AM
Ohitsubob
New User
Tire pressure sensor fault

I have an '08 Limited Expy with this same recurring fault have heard (from the dealer) everything from it's interferance from Bluetooth on my cell phone to after market stereo install but this fault still pops randomly...dealer has replaced one sensor reset system and fault still comes back; I'm pulling my hair out over this can't seem to get a definitive solution

Old 12-20-2010, 08:28 PM
Mariner 09
New User
I drive an 09 Mariner Hybrid with a tire sensor pressure fault...I've had it in 3 times, and finally today the service department agreed that something needs to be replaced, but they are telling me that Ford will not pay whether the car is under warranty or not. I think Ford has a problem here, and I am really unhappy with the run around I've experienced, not to mention from what I'm reading here, even if the sensor/s are replaced, the problem may not be solved.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:46 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Mariner 09
I drive an 09 Mariner Hybrid with a tire sensor pressure fault...I've had it in 3 times, and finally today the service department agreed that something needs to be replaced, but they are telling me that Ford will not pay whether the car is under warranty or not. I think Ford has a problem here, and I am really unhappy with the run around I've experienced, not to mention from what I'm reading here, even if the sensor/s are replaced, the problem may not be solved.
The sensor IS COVERED under your 36K/3 YR warranty. Find another dealer.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:21 PM
function12
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Mariner 09
Lemon law it. That would be a big safety concern. Read the little book that cam with you new car purchase. Follow all the steps in EVERY detail.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:22 PM
Mariner 09
New User
I just spoke with a service manager at another dealership who confirmed that the problem is not covered under warranty...and her explanation is that if the sensor was jostled loose from driving over a pothole, for example (I live in Michigan infamous for potholes), that's not the fault of the manufacturer!! She also said that they don't have this complaint/problem very often. I see no real happy resolution to this problem...my driving habits (I drive both urban and rural roads) are not likely to change, and I foresee having to have this problem fixed time and again. PLUS, they don't warn you that if you have a tire replaced or repaired (which the dealership does not do) the TPSM might not be handled properly....I will not be buying another truck/suv from Ford.

Old 12-21-2010, 03:50 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Again, different dealer. My dealer replaced mine no questions asked. They are giving you a line of bull.

Old 12-24-2010, 06:28 AM
Harley Guy
Freshman User
I never had an issue w/the factory sensors on my 2007 Expy. That being said, I replaced the ugly (my opinion) 20" chrome clad wheels with a set of 20" alloys from a 2010 F-150. Of course the TPS weren't compatable with the earlier system and I didn't want to go with the banded style sensors so I bought a set of the aftermarket valve stem sensors. I think they were around $35 each. I also bought the little Ford F-150 key fob reprogrammer that works great with the aftermarket sensors. 30 second job to reprogram.

If you really like everything else about your truck, why not do away with the factory setup that is causing you all this grief? Yes, I know that it shouldn't have to be this way but in the big scheme of things - wasted time - aggravation - gas for trips to the dealership - etc., why not just spend $200 (4 new sensors, install, rebalance) and be done with it?

I've been running the aftermarket sensors for over 9 months now without a single false indication. I also have these type sensors in my Corvette and the battery life is estimated to be around 5 - 7 years.

Just my 2 cents worth....
B/R,
RP

Old 12-26-2010, 10:58 AM
fminperry
Freshman User
Tire Pressure Sensor Fault

Hey Guys,
I got my dream truck a week ago. 07 Expy EL The tire pressure icon and fault warning came with the purchase. I am curious about this 'solution' everyone is talking about? Does that mean these aftermarket sensor send units work the OEM system and the fault indications are gone? I know \MANY folks with the same type of issue - in Toyota's, VW's, Dodge's, and FORD's. Talk to me GURUS!!!!!
Fred

Old 12-31-2010, 11:10 AM
Harley Guy
Freshman User
Never had the fault issue w/the original tires/wheels so I can't use that as a data point. However - I can say that I have had no issues with the aftermarket TPSs. 9+ months with no light on the dash so as far as I'm concerned it's a viable alternative. Half the price of the OEM sensors, no bands to worry about breaking, easier to mount and or replace the stem type sensors, and easier to program.

Can't remember which supplier I bought them from but I'll try to find the receipt if anyone would care to know. Don't think I can post in an open forum but if anyone wants to know either PM or email me.

Happy New Year to all!
RP

Old 01-21-2011, 11:20 AM
fminperry
Freshman User
Solution Request

Hey Harley Guy - thanks for the offer - could you research your receipts and let me know where you bought them? Also, when you say 'program' them? What does that entail? Also, unlike others, my light is on constantly. Will pulling the codes isolate which wheel? Or, EEEE GAADDDSS!, multiple wheels!?
Thanks
PS - Would have emailed you direct but don't know how to do that. Plus I thought some folks might appreciate details on the non-OEM operational aspects.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:56 PM
function12
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Call Damon at Tire Rack. I am sure he can help you out.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Sensor Fault