6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Fuel Filter Change Question

Old 01-09-2014, 05:58 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by bismic
I believe that parking on a slight incline is a big help. Good tip!

I also wanted to respond on the fuel filter change interval .............
Below is a Broadcast Message from Ford:

At a minimum you should make sure your first fuel filter change is within the recommended interval. You don't want to take the truck to a dealership w/ Factory fuel filter marks:
Starting in May 2006 the primary fuel filter in the frame mounted fuel pump is now marked with an "FF". This mark is present on filters installed at the factory on either the truck or a replacement fuel pump. This will identify filters that have not been replaced at the recommended intervals. Broadcast Message 6953.

the original still in when you are PAST the 15,000 mark.

To be conservative, 10,000 mile intervals seems wise!
According to this, the filter could also have come in a replacement fuel pump.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:07 AM
dbenson
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
According to this, the filter could also have come in a replacement fuel pump.
saw that too... will ask the customer when he comes back in, but the pump looks pretty weathered... it certainly hasn't been replaced recently.

Water separator drain plug did come out... they are often seized into the cover very badly in my area. Got a fair bit of water when I drained it.

I wish I knew about the FF markings the first time I changed my own filter... I would have paid more attention to what they look like!

Old 01-09-2014, 07:31 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Originally Posted by dbenson
saw that too... will ask the customer when he comes back in, but the pump looks pretty weathered... it certainly hasn't been replaced recently.

Water separator drain plug did come out... they are often seized into the cover very badly in my area. Got a fair bit of water when I drained it.

I wish I knew about the FF markings the first time I changed my own filter... I would have paid more attention to what they look like!
Is the new filter marked in a similar way? What was the fuel pressure when you checked it? I don't run a factory pump so I haven't seen a factory filter in a LONG time.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:48 AM
dbenson
Freshman User
Is the new filter marked in a similar way? What was the fuel pressure when you checked it? I don't run a factory pump so I haven't seen a factory filter in a LONG time.
New filter (OEM Ford) had different numbers stamped on it (see pic below)

Fuel pressure sat around 50 psi at idle and fluctuated wildly while driving but my gauge has no damping... I use a filter cap with a tap feeding fuel pressure directly to a pressure gauge. This isn't the perfect setup, because it tests pressure before the second filter, but it's good enough for most testing and diagnostic work. The needle was bouncing a lot while driving, but I would say it was swinging between 30psi and 50psi under WOT. Not good for injectors! The Ford dealership already put in 4 new injectors for this guy (there were just throwing parts at it, obviously).

Here is the old and new filter side by side. They are also different heights, and with different sealing mechanisms on the bottom... really has me wondering about the history of this filter that was originally installed.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:55 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

The new filter is the updated one but I don't know exactly when it came out. Been a while though. The old filter is horrible. I'm sure you're going to check the pressure after the filter change, but you might also want to look into doing a blue spring upgrade on the regulator. It can't hurt anything.

FWIW--my fuel pressure never jumped around idling or driving with a manual gauge. I think this is a good case for the blue spring upgrade also.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:27 AM
dbenson
Freshman User
The new filter is the updated one but I don't know exactly when it came out. Been a while though. The old filter is horrible. I'm sure you're going to check the pressure after the filter change, but you might also want to look into doing a blue spring upgrade on the regulator. It can't hurt anything.

FWIW--my fuel pressure never jumped around idling or driving with a manual gauge. I think this is a good case for the blue spring upgrade also.
absolutely do the blue spring! I keep a couple of the blue spring kits on the shelf at all times... and I'm constantly ordering more... cheap, quick and protects $2500 worth of fuel injectors!

I haven't checked fuel pressure yet... just got the filters in last night... this truck needs a couple of front wheel bearings also, but I will be checking the fuel pressure again to see if the filters were causing the fluctuations in pressure.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:38 AM
Snuggyworm
Postmaster
I believe they came up with the new primary fuel filter with the introduction of the 6.4 model. I like the new ones cos they seat and seal better.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup