Computer Chips & Tuners  

what do chips do besides advance the timing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2002, 09:25 PM
93bigbronco
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My brother is looking at some ideas for performance upgrades for his 95 f150 w/302. Since we can advance the timing for free, how much of an advantage is there to buying a chip? I know that advancing the timing does wonders on the 302s in the stangs, will the results be similar in a truck? Thanks..Dave

Old 04-05-2002, 11:04 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The chip remaps the ignition curves and advances timing curves by anywhere from 3-8 degrees, depending on load and rpm. The fuel curve is remapped by an average of 2% leaner than the original curve, mainly because the factory settings are set rich in order to cool the catalytic converter for low-grade fuel. High octane gasoline burns more complete and cooler than lower-grade gasoline. We trim the excess fuel based on high octane gasoline and by doing so we create a better air/fuel ratio, which equals more power, i.e. more efficient running engine. Basically, this is akin to running leaning jets in a carb and not only changing the base line timing in a distributor but also changing the timing curve (something changing the baseline timing can't do).

For electronic transmissions, the line pressure is increased, firming up shifts. Shift points are optimized, controlled by mph at partial throttle and by rpm at wide-open throttle. The shift delay is reduced, allowing gears to engage quicker and torque convertor lockup parameters are adjusted.

Old 04-06-2002, 02:55 PM
93bigbronco
Senior User

so is it worth it to buy a chip for 200+$$ or is most of the power just gain from advanced timing and premium fuel?? I know a chip will do more, but say you can get 15 or so hp from advancing initial timing and premium fuel, is it worth the money of a chip for the extra 15 or so hp?

also about having the electric tranny, its my brothers truck, he has a 302 with the E470W or somethin like that. How will the chip effect this tranny?? comparible to a shift kit??

Thanks Dave

Old 04-09-2002, 03:43 PM
89XLTBronco
Senior User

Old 10-28-2004, 11:33 PM
propellerhead
Senior User
Originally Posted by webmaster
The chip remaps the ignition curves and advances timing curves by anywhere from 3-8 degrees, depending on load and rpm. The fuel curve is remapped by an average of 2% leaner than the original curve, mainly because the factory settings are set rich in order to cool the catalytic converter for low-grade fuel. High octane gasoline burns more complete and cooler than lower-grade gasoline. We trim the excess fuel based on high octane gasoline and by doing so we create a better air/fuel ratio, which equals more power, i.e. more efficient running engine. Basically, this is akin to running leaning jets in a carb and not only changing the base line timing in a distributor but also changing the timing curve (something changing the baseline timing can't do).

For electronic transmissions, the line pressure is increased, firming up shifts. Shift points are optimized, controlled by mph at partial throttle and by rpm at wide-open throttle. The shift delay is reduced, allowing gears to engage quicker and torque convertor lockup parameters are adjusted.
Ha! I found an old thread that hit a question I had right on the dot. Right there, in bold. "controlled by mph at partial throttle" That's exactly what I was looking for in a programmer. I feel like the 1-2 shift comes too early when I'm just driving normal. So does the 3-4 shift. I'd like for 1st and 3rd to hold longer during normal driving. Will the Predator allow me to adjust that? Or does that come with a "custom tune"?