Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2002, 04:58 PM
thomasr
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Straight talk from Ken

Ken,
You pretty much laid it out for garyda when you recommended he not get a chip:

You stated "Probably not enough to make it worth it, a 302, especially with the timing advanced already, just isn't going to get a lot from a chip --- if it were newer I'd say go for it by I haven't seen good results with it in many cases on 1990 and older (I keep a log of any issues reported with all the chips we ship)".

I'm sure garyda appreciates your straight talk and so do I. Coincidentally, the next thing on my wish list was a SuperChip for my 93 F-150 4X4 w/5.0 with 46,000 miles. Is the SuperChip a worthwhile upgrade for my rig? I don't think I have unrealistic expectations...I'm not trying to build a race. I'd just like to be able to get the most out of my little small block in a big truck, without extreme modifications like upgrading to MAF, cams, intakes and such. I've freed up the air coming in, and exhaust going out, gears are okay at the moment with 3.55s. Is my limited money best spent elsewhere too? Thanks for the candor.
REX

Old 04-28-2002, 05:48 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Straight talk from Ken

If its an automatic, yes. If its not, its a toss up. The small block has good potential with a chip but the limiting factor is speed-density. With MAF you'll get much better results. A low mileage small block does well with a chip. The higher the mileage, the less likely you'll see results simply because of sloppier tolerances. The newer blocks with MAF tend to do much better regardless of mileage.

I suggest you try a Superchips and if you're not happy with it, return it and we'll refund your money, or any Superchips dealer for that matter (provided they follow the Superchips refund policy). Superchips tends to have much better code for the small block. With Diablo, you either get great results or nothing. With the Superchips on a speed density small block the results are far more consistant, provided the engine is in good shape. One thing I recommend is an exhaust system --- it seems to do more for a chipped engine than anything else.

Old 04-28-2002, 11:45 PM
thomasr
Senior User
Straight talk from Ken

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 29-Apr-02 AT 00:46 AM (EST)] Thanks Ken. Mine is an automatic (E4OD) and I've never been happy with the way it shifted...up too fast and down too slow. Sometimes I find myself playing with the gear shift lever to make it do what I want it to do. If the Superchip helps in only this department alone it will be a worthwhile investment.
You mentioned exhaust...exactly what do you mean? I've got a brand new free flow cat that replaces both the front and rear cat. Just waiting for my favorite muffler/welder guy to get out of the hospital (mild HA) to put it on for me. I'm going to try that set up without a muffler...it'll be split off from the cat into duel 2.5" pipes out the back. I've been debating headers but had pretty much decided against them. How does this exhaust set up sound for enhancing the Superchip and should I reconsider headers?
By the way, I joined FTE earlier this afternoon. ;-)
Thanks again for the straight talk. And by the way again, I know you're a busy man...I don't expect you to be setting there 24/7 waiting to answer all our questions. Don't forget to have a life too.
REX

Old 04-30-2002, 12:48 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Straight talk from Ken

Any good free flowing exhaust and/or cat. The higher your base-line horse-power the more you'll get from a chip. Because an exhaust system generally gives a great increase its the best bang-for-the-buck when combined with a chip.

Headers.... heck yeah! Even better to use them, but you'll have to deal with the headaches of occasionally re-torquing them to keep them from leaking. Keep in mind that you'd need to get custom code for headers. This is because the fuel mixture needs to be richened for headers in order to prevent burning a valve.

Old 04-30-2002, 12:58 PM
thomasr
Senior User
Straight talk from Ken

Great info again. Hmmmm...headers. I didn't want to have to completely fabricate a whole new exhaust system so I was primarily looking at the shorty style headers. Lots of folks it seems don't really think the shorty headers are worth the effort, and some folks don't think headers are worth installing on a primarily daily-driver at all. Guess I'd better do a little more research.

I had headers on a 69 F-100, and for a while it was an every Saturday ritual to re-torque the bolts...what a pain! Then a friend of mine turned me on to those locking header bolts with a C-clip looking retainer that butted up securely against the nut. Worked like a champ. I don't think I ever had to re-torque them again. Wish I could remember the brand name... that was almost 15 years ago. They were a major pain to install but well worth the effort in the long run. If I go headers again I'll be looking for another setup like this.

Thanks Ken, I'll try and wait a day or two before I bug you again.
REX

Old 04-30-2002, 04:21 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Straight talk from Ken