Oil & Lubrication  

Royal Purple

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 08:07 AM
jjed2007
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Royal Purple

I want to put in Royal Purple synthetic oil in my 2005 F150 FX4 with 32000 miles. I have a few questions. The first, is do I have to do some prep work to my vehicle to make this change? I have read about flushing the engine first. If thats the case what do I use?

My second question is, Will this change to synthetic oil cause any problems with my extended vehicle warrenty. I just got the 48 month 50,000 mile extended warrenty added onto my truck. I wouldnt want to void that out.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:18 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
First, a warm welcome to the oil and lubrication forum on FTE!

There is really nothing so unusual about RP, or any synthetic for that matter, that requires an engine flush or any other preparation to switch, especically with that low mileage. Auto-RX is an excellent flush, but really only needed for high-mileage engines.

The problem I see with the extended warranty is oil change frequency. An expensive synthetic like RP only really pays off if you extend drain intervals to a year, with Used Oil Analysis. Some extended warranty companies require 4000 mile changes, and proof that it was done. That almost forces you into paying someone else to do it and wasting a lot of barely-used expensive oil.

Jim

Old 06-13-2007, 07:49 AM
Ed
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As Jim said, absolutely no engine "flushing" or preperation is necessary, prior to using Royal Purple oil.
Your '05 F-150, 32,000+ miles? You'll be fine.

I have used Royal Purple before, never a problem. I even had it in my '87 Ford Aerostar van. 4 1/2 quarts, RP 5w30. 140,000+ miles. (3.0L V-6) Van never used a drop of RP between oil changes. Absolutely no leaks or drips from the slippery RP. (Aerostar is garaged on concrete floor nightly, or when not in use. No drips on garage floor)
This van ran at normal temperature in 108 degree Nor california summer heat, w/ AC blowing ice cold, 35 mile freeway run, then into stop and go traffic, in late afternoon, over 100 degrees. Again, never a problem with Royal Purple, 5w30, in a vehicle pushing 20 years old?

Use Royal Purple oil with confidence, you'll be fine in your F-150. (no problems on your extended warranty with RP. Just continue to use the correct viscosity, nothing heavier than 5w30).