1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

lifts

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 12:21 AM
lani
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lifts

want to lift my 03 ranger and i was wondering the diffrence between long travel, baja lift, and a straight lift(if there is any)?

Old 06-12-2007, 05:17 AM
fflintstone
Elder User
Welcome to FTE lani. Hang tight and some of the guys who've done it will definetely chime in. Check the technical thread at the top of the forum for some info on lifts.

Fred

Old 06-12-2007, 07:35 AM
Waves
Elder User
I will take a stab at this -

A long travel would be a lift such as one through Dixon Brothers Racing that gives you mega wheel travel up and down, replaces cv axels and control arms with parts that are much more rugged and can withstand much more abuse than stock, they generaly can acomodate reservoir style shocks or regular shocks depending on your budget. This type of lift would be something used by desert racers -

Now as for the Baja lift I am really not sure, my best guess is could it have something to do with certain truck classes for Baja having rules/limits on the actual amount of lift so you modify suspension more to increase travel but not so much to lift the truck, and maybe acomodate larger tires through cut out fenders or something along those lines??? Like I say I am totaly guessing on this one - someone please help!!! lol

Now a standard lift is a lift that generaly allows you to run larger tires on a combination of your stock componenets with some after market components. You generaly just improve your existing suspension, gain some more wheel clearance, but have the same wheel travel you had as stock but can accomodate larger tires. Basically this is what I did to my truck, I can acomodate 33 inch tall tires, and for the off roading I do it works ok - I am not out there jumping my truck or running fast off road, so it works ok if your not out there just trying to abuse the truck.

Anyway thats my take on it...I am curious about the baja lift though I hope someone with more knowledge would chime in and explain that one - I am totaly guessing on that -

Old 06-13-2007, 01:04 AM
dart7383
Senior User
I would guess that a Baja lift is the same as a long travel lift. The long travel lifts are used for baja racing. That would be my guess anyway. Do you have any specific kits you were looking at?

Old 06-13-2007, 06:55 AM
Waves
Elder User
I was thinking the same thing Dart, but along the lines of improving the wheel travel while maintaining very close to the same ride heighth...in other words very little lift, I know some of the Baja classes are very specific about the amount of actual lift...at least thats what I was thinking as well. I was hoping someoen on here might know for sure though.....

Old 06-13-2007, 02:05 PM
MattyF
Senior User
A baja lift is slang for a long travel kit. you'd be surprised how much lift you get from baja and wheel travel kits. For Rangers, 4-6 inches is about average for 10-15" of wheel travel. I've got a custom 4" on mine, and am strapped at 14" of travel.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:08 PM
Waves
Elder User
Ok so a Baja lift and a long travel are one in the same - thanks for enlightening us

Old 06-13-2007, 04:41 PM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
Yeah, the long travel will allow you to jump sand dunes and go a cross baja at 80 mph, also when boulder climing it will allow one wheel to extend about 6 feet, maybe not 6 feet, but they have loads of articulation. Long travel is more for the extreme stuff and carries a higher price tag than a normal lift in most cases.

Old 06-14-2007, 10:27 AM
MattyF
Senior User
Too be honest, the price difference between a regular lift and a travel kit isn't a whole lot. Take for example: An RCD 6" Coil Over conversion lift for the Edge runs approx 2400, and lifts ONLY the front, AND, you don't get a whole lot more wheel travel. A Camburg 5.5 Performance kit with Deaver leaf packs runs 2750 INSTALLED, and you get 5.5" of lift, AND it's a great mid-travel kit, AND you get the rear end with LEAFS!!! No stupid lift blocks!

Old 06-14-2007, 10:29 AM
Waves
Elder User
Check out Dixon Brother Racing - they make what I consider the mother of all Ranger suspension kits...especially if you get the reservoir style shocks......I think it's like 11 inches of wheel travel each direction..don't quote me it might be a little more I am going by mememory....lol......just don't get hung up on the price tag.....they have some great pics of there stuff on there site -

Old 06-14-2007, 06:14 PM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
You can get a 4" superlift for 1,500, throw in a another 350.00 for thier front drive shaft.

Old 06-15-2007, 02:44 PM
lani
New User
thank you everyone for helping me understands lifts just a lil more

Old 06-15-2007, 05:56 PM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
Sooooo, are you buying one, or just picking our brains?

Old 06-16-2007, 03:59 AM
lani
New User
i want to lift my truck but i have to wait a year on my warrenty to expire. This is my first truck and all i know is that i like lifted trucks they are pretty. I'm just trying to get all the info i can on lifts. All the diffrent kinda of lifts diffrent brands, etc.

Old 06-16-2007, 04:24 AM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
Very good, I like lifted trucks as well, But I'm cheap, so I just cranked my torsion bars to level the truck and slapped on a set of 32" bfg's and it doesn't screw with my warrenty. It's allways good to do your home work before you buy and thats what were here for, welcome to the forum, were really glad to have you.

Quick Reply: lifts