Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Best laptop to run AE

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 10:09 AM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
been using HP zv6000 now for a couple years and really like it,like you replaced my desk top with it
first thing not to skimp on is memory XP needs at least a gig and vista 2gig both are memory hogs
am partial to AMD processors think Intel is a PITA
mine is athalon 2gig with XP pro running 1.25gigs of memory

Last edited by rbaker6336; 06-09-2007 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:21 AM
Texas Outlaw
Not a liberal...
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Tenn01PSD350
Congrats Kris. Well done. Well you've seen my HP laptop. At the risk of getting bashed, I say get a Vista unit. I'm using one right now in the patrol car, you know the one. AE runs just fine on it. Save yourself the BS of upgrading. Vista is the new system. We go through this everytime. Same was said about XP. Fixes are constantly in the works. It's far better to update than upgrade. Your call. I recommend a duo and most come with internal wireless anyway in your price segment.
I have to agree with Mike on the Vista deal. The laptop that we just bought has Vista and it rocks. You might be hard pressed to find a laptop with XP right now anyway. When we shopped they weren't available. Everything is Vista. I was apprehensive but my wife said not to worry (she is a Microsoft certified IT Professional) and we bought the Vista unit. No apprehension now.

Old 06-09-2007, 10:42 AM
dc2842002
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just bought my laptop last week. I spent quite a bit on it but that is because I will be using it to run CAD programs and other stuff like that. The best way I have found to get the most for your money on computers is to order one that you customize. Start with the model you want and and to it the stuff you need. like RAM and processor speed. And leave off the stuff that doesn't matter. Like all of the programs that you will never use that come preinstalled on computers you find in the store. Also I would suggest buying the minimum RAM you can and putting more in yourself. Its not that difficult and its about half the price. A lot of the software they offer when you customize a computer online is also pretty steep. Escpecially if you are going to college and you can get student versions for half the price.

Old 06-09-2007, 10:56 AM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dc2842002
Also I would suggest buying the minimum RAM you can and putting more in yourself. Its not that difficult and its about half the price. .
I disagree on minimum ram,you can only install one chip easily the other is buried and have to disassemble computer to install it voiding warranty and DDR2 memory needs to be in pairs

Old 06-09-2007, 11:28 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I bought an acer. Its pretty good, pretty fast, seems reliable. It multi tasks pretty good. I take it with me when I go work up north in alberta, and it takes all the bumps and whatnot that the roads hand out. For me I paid 800 bucks for it with taxes included. So far i havent had any problems with it at all.

As far as vista goes, its not the OS that xp pro is. I have had vista crash on me twice for no reason at all. It does however seem to be doing fine for me right now. I dont know maybe they had a few updates ive installed since it crashed on me before.

Old 06-09-2007, 12:37 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
I'm running a IBM/Lenovo T60 and before that I had an IBM T40 both great machines. WiFi and internal wireless is a must now a days, BUY THE EXTRA WARRANTY, and the extended life batt. My machine allows me to remove my cd/dvd drive and even add another batt. (with one extended life batt I get about 6-8 hrs of constant work time, with the 2nd batt it jumps up to 10hrs.) the finger swipe security thing is a joke, and go for mcafee antivirus if you get a choice, its not nearly is much of a hog as norton.

Old 06-09-2007, 11:36 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
How does this look guys? I was talking about the price with dad today, he said "You only graduate once, son"

ThinkPad T61 15 Widescreen - 1 Yr Depot Warranty $1,738.00 1 $1,738.00
System Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7500 (2.2GHz 800MHz 4MBL2)
Operating System: Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium
Operating System Language: Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium US English
Display Panel: 15.4 WSXGA+ TFT
System graphics: Intel GMA X3100 GM965 w/ WWAN
Total memory: 2 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM)
Keyboards: Keyboard US English
Pointing Device: UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad) with Fingerprint Reader
Hard Drive: 100GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm (I have alot of music, lots of pics).
Optical device: CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo 24X/24X/24X/8X Max, Ultrabay Slim
System expansion slots: PC Card Slot & Express Card Slot
Wireless cards: Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN
Power cord : Country Pack North America
Language Pack: Language Pack US English
Microsoft productivity application preload: Microsoft Office Small Business 2007 - English
Accessories and options:
1 Year On Site Upgrade with 1 Year ThinkPad Protection $119.00

Or , the T 60?

ThinkPad T60 Series - 1 Year Warranty $1,662.00 1 $1,662.00
Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor T7200 (2.0GHz, 4MB L2, 667MHz FSB)
Operating system: Genuine Windows Vista Business
Operating system language: Genuine Windows Vista Business US English
Display type: 15.4 WXGA TFT
System graphics: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
Total memory: 2 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM)
Keyboard: Keyboard US English
Pointing device: UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad)
Hard drive: 100GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
Optical device: CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo 24X/24X/24X/8X Max, Ultrabay Slim
Ethernet: Integrated 1Gb Ethernet
Wireless cards: Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
Battery: 9 cell Li-Ion Battery
Power cord: Country Pack North America
Modem cable (RJ-11): PSTN cable
Language pack: Language Pack US English
Microsoft productivity software preload: Microsoft Office Small Business 2007 - English
Accessories and options:
1 Year On Site Upgrade with 1 Year ThinkPad Protection $119.00

Last edited by PowerstrokeJunkie; 06-09-2007 at 11:42 PM.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:54 PM
PETE'S_6.0PSD
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey Kris IBM sounds good,REMEMBER you have to like it, so most laptops over 1500$ have everything you need,
we just picked up 2 Sony VAIO and i have to say i like it, we have sony outlet here,
model# VGN-AR190G , i got XP media edition,
2gig dual core
1gig ram
200gig hdd
17" uxga
bluetooth
WiFi
BlueRay
2 yrs accidental damage warranty
and other unimportant stuff, 1574$ warranty was 199$

Last edited by PETE'S_6.0PSD; 06-09-2007 at 11:59 PM.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:29 AM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Kris, from personal use, the widescreen is a bit big in the truck but excellent for reviewing datalogs. I have a small light Dell D600 I use "in the field" and save the datalog to a share on the server via wireless then I can sit in the lazy boy in the air conditioning and diagnose/review the datalog on my widescreen laptop.

I know this isn't an answer but the point is, consider size if you are going to be using it to record live data in the truck alot. If this is going to be your primary computer I would go with the T61

Old 06-10-2007, 08:19 AM
cangim
Postmaster
I'd go T61 as well, you'll be surprised at how often you'll find yourself using it to watch movies on while traveling. 15" wide is much better than 9" headrest any day.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:15 AM
papadelogan
Snowboard season cometh..

Don't trust Vista... yet

Originally Posted by Texas Outlaw
I have to agree with Mike on the Vista deal. The laptop that we just bought has Vista and it rocks. You might be hard pressed to find a laptop with XP right now anyway. When we shopped they weren't available. Everything is Vista. I was apprehensive but my wife said not to worry (she is a Microsoft certified IT Professional) and we bought the Vista unit. No apprehension now.
Hmmm... Vista... I wouldn't trust it. If your wife has been in IT for a few years she'll know that even though Microsoft puts out a "final release", it's still really a BETA - they just get people to buy it and help find the bugs. I moved to XP very quickly and dealt with the bugs, but was happy with it overall. And while I'm not the greatest out there, I've been building, tweaking, and troubleshooting systems for years, and some pretty big networks too, so my experience level for fixing things is well beyond that of most home users.

I'm not trying to brag about how great I might be (blah blah who cares), but Kris pointed out in the beginning that he's not a computer guy, so why saddle him with working through all the new kinks & quirks of Vista? Same reason I didn't recommend Sony products - they can be quirky to troubleshoot because of Sony-specific ways of doing things.

I'd recommend (STRONGLY) XP Pro and an extended warranty. Thinkpads ROCK... BUT!! theire warranty will NOT cover accidental damage - Dell's warranty will. Kris obviously has great mechanical skills, but the more you carry something around, the more it's likely to get dropped. 1/2" box wrench... drop it all day... laptop... errrr... DON'T!!

In Kris's position I'd go for the Dell I listed because of the features, warranty, and ability to use it for working on the truck, watching movies on the road, wireless connectivity, and having your butt covered in case one day your get all butter-fingered. And XP has been around long enough to be truly stable for the average user.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:23 AM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
I agree with the warranty info and the proprietary manufacturer software and hardware comments. Along with warranty comes support. That is what makes you or breaks you with warranties. HP has been great, though they have some proprietary stuff too. So I would look for live support and I wouldn't be afraid of Vista when there's a good company backing the product. If money wasn't an object when I bought mine, I would have gone with a Dell.

Old 06-10-2007, 02:21 PM
justblowin'smoke
Elder User
i have a gateway MT6821 bought from bestbuy for like 900 it runs my AE great, i also have Itunes, and a ford service manual progarm bought off of ebay, i'm also on ebay it does have that vista crap i havn't had too many problems though, also has the intel centrino Duo 1.60GHz and 160GB hard drive i like it

Last edited by justblowin'smoke; 06-10-2007 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:38 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
If you have just the mods listed in your sig, take out those last 5 words.

Thanks for the input everyone, i'm pricing Dells now and im torn between Vista and XP. I know how to run my XP and i dont know if i want the new technology or not.

Old 06-10-2007, 02:41 PM
justblowin'smoke
Elder User
yeah banks power sucks but i wanted something stackable to gain a couble extra ponies

Quick Reply: Best laptop to run AE