1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Can't get er started...

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 10:36 PM
sasquatch999
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't get er started...

I got an 85 F250 (V8- 460) that I just cant seem to get started. I had this problem last Saturday, then it fixed itself, now its back again.

Last saturday i took the truck out to a friends, and backed the truck up the driveway. later on I went to start it, and it would do anything. NOTHING. No clicks, no cranks, nothing. I knew it was electrical - just where.

I tried the battery first. Took it out to Strauss auto, they said the battery was fine. The Positive cable and starter relay were new when I got it, but the negative cable was a little beat, so I got a new neg. cable, installed that, and cleaned up the connections. Still nothing.

I had to get the truck out of the driveway, and I wanted it home to work on, so I got it towed to my place. After talking to a mechanic friend, he suggested smacking the starter with a hammer while the key is being turned. I've heard of this before, so I figured I'd give it a shot. I call the wife out, explain to her how to start a manual tranny (clutch to the floor...). I'm under the truck, hammer in hand, and tell her "ready!" I hear the her turn the key - and the truck starts. Just like that. I did nothing. I love women.

I'm thinking some wire got jostled loose before, and jostled back into place with the tow home.

Here's the kicker. I start it up this morning, starts fine. drive it around the block, back to my house, fine. Turn it off, then back on, fine. Turn it off. Put it in reverse, try to turn it on, NOTHING. And nothing since.

I explained this to a mechanic at my job ( i work in a warehouse, and he's a forklift mech. and lifelong Ford truck owner). He suggested checking the neutral saftey switch. So when I got home, I checked the the plug going to the switch and found part of the wire was touching the exhaust pipe. Partially melted. Could this be it? I must try to splice it tomorrow morning.

But even with the wire unplugged, it was still funny. I noticed with the key in the ignition and partially turned - to power the accessories - I depressed the clutch and started shifting. Whenever I put it into a gear- 1st, 2nd, etc.- the lights would dim in the cab for a second, like puting it into gear was drawing power. what's going on??????

Old 06-08-2007, 10:53 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,678 Likes on 1,356 Posts
When it won't start, turn the headlights on and then try to start it.

If you have a battery or large cable problem, the headlights will go almost completely out.

If you have a neutral safety switch or some other small problem, the headlights will stay bright when you try to crank it over.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:56 PM
sasquatch999
Senior User
What if I have problems with my headlights too? LOL...

I have noticed before that my headlights have been finicky....the regular headlamps wont work - I need to have on high beams - and they flicker sometimes when driving.

Old 06-08-2007, 11:00 PM
Franklin2
I would check the switch in the floor for the lowbeam/headlight problem. It gets pretty wet and dirty down there sometimes.

Old 06-08-2007, 11:10 PM
sasquatch999
Senior User
The funny button on the floor next to the clutch? That's what that does???

Old 06-09-2007, 09:01 AM
sasquatch999
Senior User
Fixed wire, now what...

Ok so I fixed the wire. Still won't start.

Now I confused though. Where is the neutral safety switch? The chilton's manual states the neutral safety /backup light switch is on the tranny. But I went to the parts store this morning to look at a new one, the picture they had of a new one was the switch mounted under the dash next to the clutch. this switch is connected to the clutch with two red/blue wires coming out of it.

Now it makes sense to me that this would be the neutral safety switch. But why then will my truck not start? Both times this problem occured was when it was in reverse before it was turned off. How can putting the truck in reverse affect starting it?

Old 06-09-2007, 10:07 AM
scottddove
Elder User
Sounds to me like you have got a electrical problem for sure. I would check the grounds make sure they are all good. Have you tried to start the truck right at the selanoid by jumping it across to be able to rule out the selanoid switch and or starter itself. The way you do it is take a piece of wire hold it to the hot side of the battery and the other end to the small post coming out the side of the selanoid switch closest to the battery. There may be 2 small posts use the one closest to the battery like I mentioned before. Even if the key is not even in the switch it will/should try to crank. Be sure it is in neutral for sure.The wire you take off that same post should become energized when you turn the key if it does not there is a starting point. Hope this helps Scott

Old 06-09-2007, 11:39 AM
Franklin2
If you want to eliminate the clutch switch as being the possiblilty, just unplug the switch and jump the two red/blue wires together. Just remember it will crank without pushing the pedal down.

If the problem goes away, then you know it was the switch, If not, we can move on to something else. That's whats aggravating about intermittent problems. They are so hard to catch when it happens.

Old 06-09-2007, 12:38 PM
sasquatch999
Senior User
LOL...I just did that after my last post. I had a very good feeling it was the the neutral safety switch or the clutch pedal safety switch (I don't know if there is a difference) - either the switch mounted on the tranny or the one attached to the clutch.

After I posted I took the clutch switch off, and hooked it up with the voltmeter. Grounded the black and crossed the plug connections with the red. Turned the key, and VROOMMMMM! So now I gotta replace the switch. Time the search the junkyards...

Old 06-09-2007, 08:42 PM
CaptGuz
Elder User
glad you got that fixed... i think too many people here lately have had non-starting trucks lol

Old 06-09-2007, 11:07 PM
sasquatch999
Senior User
Considering the timing CaptGuz, I wondering if its more than a coincidence... LOL....

I got a new clutch safety switch from a junkyard, cleaned it up, and connected it to the plug...truck started right up. Next (just for fun) I took the old clutch safety switch, cleaned that one up with some electrical cleaner, plugged that one in...truck started right up.

I think that the damaged wire that led to the backup light that plugs into the tranny ended up shorting the circuit and damaged the clutch safety switch, but not permenately. I dunno. I'm not sure how the current travels, but if the switch lines up after the backup light, maybe....

I'm tempted to play with it a little bit more, but I think I might leave well enough alone for now...