N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

D0VE Heads at the shop...other engine stuff

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 08:11 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
D0VE Heads at the shop...other engine stuff

Okay guys, I took the heads in yesterday, I checked today and they hevn't strted on them yet....but as I was looking through some stuff, I didi find the correct 45* stone for the intake seats for my valve tool set....been thinking about things,,,

#1 We won't be turning the type of RPMs that a 3+ angle valve job is really going to be noticable.

---my thoughts---even after I recut the seats, the engine will give us a minimium of 10K miles on unleaded, or we could run a lead additive...but 10K miles on this truck would be A LOT of driving

#2 We may get better flow results by back cutting the valves.

---- My thoughts---I need to study up some more on this, but 99.9% sure I can do this on my small lathe without issues

#3 When I laid my straight edge on the heads (sheared piece of SS I use) I saw no place I could slide any feeler gauge in...so heads are not warped.

---My thoughts---we'd lose our chance to have them mill the heads for a bit more CR...I was mainly after just a good surface, but I've DA sanded heads for tractors before and never had an issue.

#4 Thinking in the interst of money...I may just pick the heads up tomorrow, hit the standard valve job (I'm not concerned about the first cut, it should still be fine) and dress up my 45* stone and do the intake seats and do the exhaust seats as well, we don't have any burnt valves so a quick dressing on the grinder and lapping them in shuld be good for us.

We'll save about 200 bucks there (no hot tanking, magnafluxing, no sufacing, no new seats, etc) from the machine shop...this is money we can put towards parts we need for the engine.

The cam/lifters/OP/timing set/gasket set/Timing cover has dug into us for about 300...I'll cover the C-note on the heads.

We still need springs, pushrods, water pump, fuelpump (electric or mech? If mech, I'll have to get the correct parts for the eccentric), plugs just to be able to button up the engine "air tight".

So far, I was planning on:

Severe Duty WP at AZ (online) 29.95
Stock PR's for '70 429 (3-pc, but I think are the right length we need?...need to verify) about 30 bucks
correct valve springs -SUmmit noly list Crane springs about 110.00 for the set

Fuel pump (we could take a chance on the one that was with the engine? Hate to...but...)
Plugs
Plug wire
Cap/rotor
Fluids
Belts...etc...but lots of stuff can be done later...I mainly want to be able to deliever Dan a buttoned up engine he cal just lay a canvas over while cutting and grinding after it's fitted into the chassis.

We also need to think about a toque converter, I could flush the one we have, but hate to have anything left in it and have it get into our tranny...also, we might want to consider a higher stall converter anyways...it'd be helpful for the mudruns, and kill some lowend positive torque on the trails.

Other misc. stuff like a tranny cooler, fuel lines and such I have around here that need a new home anyways.

Last edited by 3Mike6; 06-07-2007 at 08:15 PM.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:56 PM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have the converter along with the C6 we're using...the fluid looks good and clean, no burnt smell, so I think we're okay there. I was thinking about pulling the pan off at some point and having a look inside, then see if my buddy at the tranny shop can hook us up with a shift kit...