6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Whistle under heavy load

Old 08-28-2007, 12:28 AM
murphys
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loud whistle noise when towing in warm weather.

I gave up on having Ford try and fix the problem of that LOUD whistle or what ever it is when towing in warm weather.
After close to two years of taking it back for diagnosis and repair, just last week they changed the Turbo and the associated exhaust fittings/pipes so I gave another try. NO Luck. Still made that awful noise.
I gave in and bought a new 2008 F250 6.4L . So far lousy fuel mileage 11/12 mpg.

I hope this motor is better than the last. Good luck to all who have this problem, I will continue to monitor this site to see if anyone can come up with the answer.
Love the info on this site, You guys are great.

MURPHYS

PS.
My wife is writting some nasty letters to Ford right now, (Just letting of steam) We don't really expect a reply.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:49 AM
QuarterT
New User
Sold my 6.0L

I too gave up. In last year my 04 F350 dually has been in shop toooo much, and takes too long to fix. I too had that annoying whistle around 2800 rpms under hot load. I believe it is connected to fan/water pump. My turbo and intercooler was replaced last month (over boost). Still had whistle afterwards. I see too many 6.0 diesels in local shops. Latest problem was engine overheated when fan belt broke while towing up hill in desert. Took me 2 days to replace belt 100 miles from home, then motor used 1.5 gals of water to get home. Been in shop since Aug 7, still not fixed. I trading my stock 51,000 mile F350 in for 08 Dodge 3500 (my first Dodge) with 6.7L. Local Dodge dealer traded with F350 still in shop. AAA happy I sold F350. They said many 6.0 diesels break down. Have first trip to Las Vegas this weekend with Dodge.
I still have a Ford, an F250 5.4L supercharged. When my 6.0L ran it was great, but I need reliability. The first 30,000 miles were problem free. Good luck to you all with your 6.0L. I hope the new 6.4L is better.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:26 PM
badbrad60
Senior User
Still blows me away that no one...can solve this "whistle" I love the way my truck runs, but when I've got that whistle screamin it feels like something will break...it just aint right.....Maybe someone will post here with a fix....

Old 08-28-2007, 03:39 PM
LvTitan
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by QuarterT
I too gave up. In last year my 04 F350 dually has been in shop toooo much, and takes too long to fix. I too had that annoying whistle around 2800 rpms under hot load. I believe it is connected to fan/water pump. My turbo and intercooler was replaced last month (over boost). Still had whistle afterwards. I see too many 6.0 diesels in local shops. Latest problem was engine overheated when fan belt broke while towing up hill in desert. Took me 2 days to replace belt 100 miles from home, then motor used 1.5 gals of water to get home. Been in shop since Aug 7, still not fixed. I trading my stock 51,000 mile F350 in for 08 Dodge 3500 (my first Dodge) with 6.7L. Local Dodge dealer traded with F350 still in shop. AAA happy I sold F350. They said many 6.0 diesels break down. Have first trip to Las Vegas this weekend with Dodge.
I still have a Ford, an F250 5.4L supercharged. When my 6.0L ran it was great, but I need reliability. The first 30,000 miles were problem free. Good luck to you all with your 6.0L. I hope the new 6.4L is better.
i hardly think trading it in for a dodge is the answer. you got a bad one, they are out there, but at least get a decent truck, the duramax is a beautiful truck. get another ford, what are the chances of getting 2 bad ones in a row ?
i just think you'll be unhappy with the quality and fitment of the dodge trucks. the engine is their ONLY saving grace, and not enough of one for me to ever buy one, i'd by a gasser before i got a dodge.

Old 08-28-2007, 05:03 PM
badbrad60
Senior User
Who gives a hoot bout the Dodge....I want the damn whistle fixed!

Old 08-28-2007, 08:13 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, I have bad news.
My whistle "went away" one day, while climbing a grade in Southern Oregon, towing my 11K fifth wheel. It got REALLY loud, then all of the sudden it just quit, never to return. Well, not until they screwed with it...

I brought my truck in for a separate annoying issue, that wasn't even as annoying as the whistle. Well, guess what? They put in a new EGR, Exhaust Back Pressure Sensor, and a turbo...
Now that damned whistle is back with a vengence!!! Still only under heavy load, at high RPMs.... ???

I hope this helps narrow the possibilities for you guys. I personally think that it is the turbo, or something related to it. Maybe something that is connected to the turbo???

Anyway, just thought I'd let you all know that I am back it the whistle club.
I think I would have been better off leaving well enough alone, and not worried so much about the newer issue that I probably could have lived with... Arrrrgh.

But I gotta say, I still LOVE this truck! Everything else is just great. And my service department is still dilligently trying to figure it out. No reason to leave Ford as I see it. Yet... Not even close, yet. I'm confident that they will figure it out. That, and the other little annoying thingy. Gotta be patient I suppose.

I'll try to keep you all posted.

Regards, Tim

Last edited by olfordsnstone; 08-28-2007 at 08:21 PM.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:32 AM
kkim124
New User
I have the same problem with my 07 F350 Dually. I tow anywhere from 12k to 18k up and down the 5 in California. I do auto transporting, I have been hearing the whistle more and more often. First it was only when I was going up the grapevine. Now I can hear it going up smaller hills. Before it only whistled in high heat, big load, big hill, and about 2800 rpm. Now it happens with just big load and about 2800 rpm even on smaller hills. I had another post and was told it was the fan but never got an answer about a fix. I hope someone can find out how to stop this annoying sound.

Just a thought... if it is the fan making the noise, do you think changing to an electric fan setup will get rid of the problematic annoying noise? I know it's not a real fix, but just a thought.

Kelly

Old 08-29-2007, 05:20 AM
Feeder568
New User
Originally Posted by badbrad60
Hey, OLFORD did you ever have your exhaust manifold off at all? If in fact the up pipe is cracked on my truck, Im obviously wondering why? I did take off the drivers side manifold to tap for an EGT sensor. Other than that Im not sure how or why it would have cracked other than it just did...My scenario is very similar to yours, but I don't necessarily notice a loss of power.....if I have a loss, it isn't noticeable to me in that towing scenario.
I am taking my truck in this week for a possible replacement turbo. The exhaust side oil seal in turbo is suspected of leaking and puffing white/gray smoke. Crazy they have to replace the entire turbo to swap the seal.....While they have the turbo off I am going to insist that they check the integrity of the EGR uppipe. I'll let you all know what happens ~Brad
Hey BadBrad60, What does that weekend warrior weigh when you're loaded? I pull a 37 ft. Cardinal 33LE at about 14200 loaded. Truck is a 2006 250 FX4 Lariet with Firestone air-rides. With the mods done to your engine, you shouldn't have any trouble with the hills.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:34 AM
badbrad60
Senior User
Feeder. haven't scaled it yet, but I estimate it to be well over 16k when loaded down. Truck always has power to spare with all the mods. I am usually having to back off the gas to get the whistle to shutup. I usually turn off the A/C when climbing nasty hills, but half way up the hill on one of my last trips and turned the A/C on and the whistle stopped....turned it off again and it the whistle returned......
Anyway, truck pulls the camper superbly. ~Brad

Old 08-29-2007, 09:36 AM
badbrad60
Senior User
Originally Posted by kkim124
I have the same problem with my 07 F350 Dually. I tow anywhere from 12k to 18k up and down the 5 in California. I do auto transporting, I have been hearing the whistle more and more often. First it was only when I was going up the grapevine. Now I can hear it going up smaller hills. Before it only whistled in high heat, big load, big hill, and about 2800 rpm. Now it happens with just big load and about 2800 rpm even on smaller hills. I had another post and was told it was the fan but never got an answer about a fix. I hope someone can find out how to stop this annoying sound.

Just a thought... if it is the fan making the noise, do you think changing to an electric fan setup will get rid of the problematic annoying noise? I know it's not a real fix, but just a thought.

Kelly
Kinda crazy it still happens with the 07's...the fan is HUGE and would need an equally large electric fan to do the job...but it is a thought...lemme know if you do it...~Brad

Old 08-30-2007, 02:54 PM
badbrad60
Senior User
Went to the dealer this morning to get some driveline grease and talked to the tech and tech sup about the stupid whistle and he said it is becoming a bigger deal as the word is getting around that people aren't just "hearing" things.
Anyway, a customer has an 05 6.0 and pulls a toyhauler up the same grades that I do and is sick and tired of the "whistle".
He got the techs to hook up the laptop or whatever they use to monitor engine stuff, and were directly able to pinpoint it to the clutch assembly in the fan. They were able to, based on a few parameters tell exactly when the noise would start...and it did everytime under certain variables.
They are going to replace the fan clutch to "appease" the customer, because FORD says at this time there is no "fix" yet.
Apparantly it is a harmonic anomaly and "just happens"

That's lame.....If enough folks bitch about it, then may FOMOCO will make a clutch/fan that doesn't do this??? hmmm ...brilliant.

Old 08-30-2007, 04:41 PM
LvTitan
Posting Guru
hey brad, at least now we know what it is... good detective work my friend.

and if you think the 07 fan is big, you should see the 08

Old 09-05-2007, 02:42 PM
Limo_f250
New User
has anyone tried an electric fan instead of the factory fan??

Old 09-05-2007, 05:13 PM
badbrad60
Senior User
6.4 has got the whistle too...

Looks like Ford passed on the whistle the the 6.4 folks...lame.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...y-5er-13k.html

Old 09-05-2007, 05:13 PM
badbrad60
Senior User

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Whistle under heavy load