Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

5.3 chevy in 79 shortbed 2wd

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 03:59 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I originally chose not to add my other cars to my signature because I wasn't sure anyone would care, and because I am embarrassed to own/drive a ricer (hey - it's better on gas than the expedition)!

But I really can't see it being banned by a forum. Obviously I don't run the forum so it's not my choice, but it still makes NO sense to me. Luckily times have changed!
I think I'll add um now - just because I have the ability. It is an automotive forum and I'm sure there's at least 1 or 2 here that might be interested to see what people own besides fords...

Old 06-07-2007, 07:37 PM
duece_bigalo01
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
to answer your question 75ford I dont have anything invested in it right now except the time to think of the materials and stuff too this swap. I can get 5.3's and 4L60Es all day at $1500 with the complete wiring harness and accesorys.

as far as some of the other post's people have put up here I never mentioned a cummings swap or anthing other then 5.3 chevy. I used to be the exact opposite of the keep it ford. I only liked chevy. I just got into this truck because I liked the way it looked. I will not get rid of this truck I dont believe and really enjoy the way it rides. As I said before I have nothing wrong with my drivetrain I just want something that I can drive on a daily basis. Everyone is saying to swap to a manuel tranny to get the mileage that I'm looking for but that is a very costly swap. Heck I thought about swaping in a T-56 to get the dual overdrive. but I would have just as much invovled in getting it in the truck as I would with a 5.3 in fabrication and actually more $$$$. That windsor of mine is nice I have no complants with it. I thought about putting some trickflow heads on it and a manuel but by the time the money is spent it is the same as the 5.3 and has either equal too or less power then the 5.3 with a gm hot cam. (my 351w is cammed forgot to mention that as well). I can do more with the 5.3 as far as tuning with a computer ( can tune for E85 as well) to get more power and better mileage. I understand some people have heart burn with this but I asked a question and some of you are ready to burn me at the stake for calling someones sister a name. Not everyone wants too keep a ford power plant in there ford. The LSx's work wonders in a fox body stang. there awesome but so is a 03-04 cobra engine.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:37 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Somewhat reminiscent of Post #18

Old 06-07-2007, 08:45 PM
MBBFord
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
This whole subject needs to be deleted. It's just wrong.

Go get your 5.3 for $1,500 and do it all ready.............

Old 06-07-2007, 10:20 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
the truck in question is a brick wall, so IMO gas mileage is moot. There's plenty of room for whatever engine you decide, but consider incompatibility and custom work to get it to go, IE efi fuel lines, tank, shifter linkage, throttle linkage, etc... would buy alot of gas when said and done. IMO, what it takes to move these pigs is torque, not hp. So a 5.3, being decent on higher rpms, would need a steeper rear gear to get up to speed, which in turn would affect gas mileage. It's a truck, no doubt. Good luck whatever you decide.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:21 PM
78stepside429
Senior User
I am just trying to figure out why he thinks he is going to save all this money. He can think all he wants about the GenIII motors, but from alot of the stuff Ive seen, he might as well stick with the Ford. Its easier and no matter what, its less money in the long run. If theres a decent windsor in there, why bother changing something to a motor that is a few less CID? If the shirt fits, wear it. But then again, it isnt my truck, and if you **** it up, it means more parts for me

Old 06-07-2007, 10:21 PM
fasthauler
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
My personal opinion is this was posted as a joke just to get a rise out of everybody. And what a rise it got.

Old 06-08-2007, 07:29 AM
velcro7279
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I know that typically dollor for dollar more power can be made by a Chevrolet than with a Ford. The Chevrolet trucks used to get better mileage than a Ford truck when the Chevrolets had the 5.7's and the fords had the 5.8. Now I think that the Chevrolets have gone downhill as far as mileage. I have friend that has a 2000 4x4 Sliverado with the 5.3 that he can't get over 16 on the highway. I have a 2003 F 150 4x4 with the 5.4 that I can get 18 all day on the highway and push 20 if I keep it 65 or under. The gears are 3.42 I think in his Chevrolet and I have 3.55's in my Ford, and both are automatics. If mileage and simplicity is the goal I would think that a 302 with a T5 or M5OD 5 speed would be the best way to go. I could see low 20's with that setup real easy.

Me personally would not even think about the Chevrolet engine in the Ford. When I was just starting to drive most of my friends were Chevrolet freaks and I got so tired of hearing that Chevrolets were the best that I started to hate the damn things. Granted we were all kids at the time and probably didn't know much better. It put a bad taste in my mouth for Chevrolets. Will never have one now.

As far as putting the Chevrolet in the Ford. I have too much pride for my Fords that I couldn't do it. They may not be as cheap to build, but the Fords are still built better. The NP205 in the 70's Fords had the same shaft sizes for the F 150 to the F 350. You had to get a 3/4 to 1 ton Chevrolet to get the same strength. Don't even get me started on that piece of crap 10 bolt rear that Chevrolet still uses in their trucks. The friend with the 2000 Sliverado has had three different trucks that he has had 10 bolt problems with. Don't know why they didn't keep the 12 bolt.

I have been rambling enough. I was feeling left out and had to give my .02.

Steve

Old 06-08-2007, 07:38 AM
Ranger Gord
Mountain Pass
Oh, tip. From what I know, the back up lights are triggered by a switch mounted somewhere (I don't know were because I've never actually seen it) on the transmission in 73-77 f-series. Therefore, you will either have to find a column and some wiring from a 78-79 instead, since the back up light switch is triggered in the column in that year, or mount a switch in the dash. I know this because my truck also doesn't have back up lights, having a GM transmission.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 06-08-2007, 09:28 AM
Mil1ion
New User
Pre 78's had a column mounted NSS

78+ use a transmission mounted NSS

IMO, He would be better off visiting a Hot Rod forum where they do this stuff all the time in cars

Old 06-08-2007, 09:29 AM
MBBFord
Post Fiend
velcro7279, don't know how you think a chevy can have more power dollar for dollar.... That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. I could build a 460 to have just as much HP as a chevy if not alittle more, but have at least 150 ft lbs of torque more than a chevy while spending the same on both. It doesn't take much to get power out of the older Ford engines(just take the smog crap off, and they're good to go).

Ranger Gord-
You've got it backwards, the 73-77s have the switch mounted on the column, and the 78 79s have it on the transmission. Also, it's called a Neutral Saftey Switch.
Edit: Mil1ion beat me to it.

wb6vv- If it was intended to be or not, this thread is a joke!

Last edited by MBBFord; 06-08-2007 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:34 AM
Ranger Gord
Mountain Pass
Really? I had it backwards? Well sh#$ then. I gotta tear my truck to pieces again and figure this out. *Stops off to gets tools* Piece of advice, if your going to go through with this engine swap, either do it yourself, or be there every second that its being done, that way YOU know what all has been changed. Unlike me, I bought mine like this. Oh the wiring is horrible. I've never seen so so much electrical tape used in my entire life. I should take some pictures of it.

Old 06-08-2007, 09:58 AM
velcro7279
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MBBFord
velcro7279, don't know how you think a chevy can have more power dollar for dollar.... That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. I could build a 460 to have just as much HP as a chevy if not alittle more, but have at least 150 ft lbs of torque more than a chevy while spending the same on both. It doesn't take much to get power out of the older Ford engines(just take the smog crap off, and they're good to go).

Ranger Gord-
You've got it backwards, the 73-77s have the switch mounted on the column, and the 78 79s have it on the transmission. Also, it's called a Neutral Saftey Switch.
Edit: Mil1ion beat me to it.

wb6vv- If it was intended to be or not, this thread is a joke!
I was referring mostly SB vs SB. LIke 350 to 351W. Have you priced a Performer intake for a 350 Chevy vs one for a Ford 351W. There is definately a price difference. Just an example. If you price parts for a 350 Chevy that will make 400hp and the same parts for a 351W to make 400hp the Ford will be more expensive. Of course a 460 will make more power than a 350 Chevy it is 110ci bigger. Hope you see where I was coming from now.

Steve

Old 06-08-2007, 10:28 AM
MBBFord
Post Fiend
I was thinking 460 vs. 454.
No comparison there.

even a 350 to 351W stock to stock, the W has much more torque, and if you do make both engines to make 400 hp the ford might cost more(I'm not really familiar with the W), but the ford will have alot more torque in this situation also.

I could get 300 + HP out of my 400 and 400+ ft lbs of torque for about $500.
Can a chevy 350 get that much toruqe for $500? Don't think so.

Old 06-08-2007, 11:25 AM
dwrestle
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well Chevy parts are cheaper, but not by a whole lot, Ford parts are second cheapest, and a lot of bolt on type parts are the same price. Small block Ford motors have to be the second cheapest to build, especially the 302. I don't think you can make a 325 Gen3 SBC stouter than a Windsor, and I really don't think you can make more power with less money with a Gen3, especially since you have a ton of fab work to put into it.
Honestly, if one of the reasons you are doing this is gas mileage you can't afford to do this swap.

The 351's with the GT-40's and still old school Speed Density EFI had 240 HP, and like 350 TQ. The newest 5.3's are just now breaking the 300 HP(they had like 275/285 for a long time) barrier, and just now make 340 TQ(made 325 before). I bet with the cam you already got, and a late model Explorer Heads, Injection, and auto tranny you would probably have like 280 HP and close to 400 TQ.

If you got your heart set on doing this swap do it, you would be one of the few, and if you get it done with good results more power to you.

Quick Reply: 5.3 chevy in 79 shortbed 2wd