1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

New member saying hello

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 04:12 PM
JimG1098
Fleet Mechanic
Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts
Welcome to the board. A real great place. Nice looking rig

JimG

Old 05-29-2007, 04:17 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Welcome! Nice starting point you have there. AFA magnets for bondo detection, one of the flexible sheet magnets works great. Our phone book comes with a calendar advertising one on the cover or look for one of the magnetic business cards or advertising that are popular with realtors and pizza shops, last resort would be a flexible refrigerator magnet from your local novelty store. They are less "sticky" than a solid metal magnet and will simply slip or refuse to stick over even a thin layer of filler. Slide it around and where it sticks will give an indication of the repaired area's boundaries. Some might be due to collision damage on the fronts and sides of the fenders for example. Our panel doesn't have a spot of rust on it, but the magnet told me where collision damage was filled over. I was actually glad a PO hadn't done more than fill in the dents, saved me a lot of work not only repairing the areas but in not having to fix someone else's messed up work.

Old 05-29-2007, 04:25 PM
true
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Randy Jack
Chris - Sounds like you may want to shorten the frame to set that bed on there right. It's not too tough a job, actually. By the sound of your past projects, I'll bet it is well within your skills also.
The frame has already been chopped in the rear to compensate for the bed. However, they did it in a rather quick and dirty way. They simply cut the excess frame rails off of the rear instead of shortening it in two places. So my current situation is I have a 3 1/2" - 4" gap between the bed and cab, and the bed is so far forward that the rear end of the bed is nearly touching (about a 1/4" gap) the rear wheel fenders. Basically, the bed needs to be longer, or the frame needs to be trimmed down 3-4" in front of the bed. This will bring up other issues as well, so I am curious on some ideas people have on how to fix the situation. Extend the bed maybe?

Old 05-29-2007, 04:26 PM
true
Junior User
Originally Posted by LEckart
Welcome Chris
Good to have another "young" guy balance out us "old" guys.
I feel a group hug coming on here.

Old 05-29-2007, 04:28 PM
true
Junior User
Originally Posted by JimG1098
Welcome to the board. A real great place. Nice looking rig

JimG
Thank you much!

Old 05-29-2007, 04:30 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by true
I feel a group hug coming on here.
And a sense of humor!

You'll fit in here alright!

Old 05-29-2007, 04:34 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

The frame has already been chopped in the rear to compensate for the bed. However, they did it in a rather quick and dirty way. They simply cut the excess frame rails off of the rear instead of shortening it in two places. So my current situation is I have a 3 1/2" - 4" gap between the bed and cab, and the bed is so far forward that the rear end of the bed is nearly touching (about a 1/4" gap) the rear wheel fenders. Basically, the bed needs to be longer, or the frame needs to be trimmed down 3-4" in front of the bed. This will bring up other issues as well, so I am curious on some ideas people have on how to fix the situation. Extend the bed maybe?
Start your gallery and put in a side shot. I can't quite get a picture of the geometry. The fenders on a short bed don't leave a very big gap at the back between end of fender and end of bed. That gap may be about right. But the gap you have at the front is no bueno.

Sounds like some frame sectioning and lengthening may be in order. I can give you some measurements as my bed is off the frame.

Old 05-29-2007, 04:35 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,843 Likes on 1,842 Posts
We have several members here who have cut down the larger trucks to make half tons. The one that comes to mind is GreatNorthWoods who cut down his 49 F3 to make it a F1.

Its a fairly straightforward process
Bobby

Old 05-29-2007, 04:45 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Best solution is to cut a 4" section out of the frame behind the cab to reduce it to a 110" wheel base, the size of the standard shortbed frame. If you have never shortened a frame before but have the welding skills to do a structural mod just ask for the best methods otherwise it would be safer to take it to a welder or have one come to you. You are fortunate to live in the heart of hot rod country so it shouldn't be too difficult or expensive to have anything you need done.

Old 05-29-2007, 04:58 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the forum! It's always good to have new blood on here. Hmmm, fresh meat!

Old 05-29-2007, 05:07 PM
ilovegamesandcars
Senior User
Great a local O.C. person. If your looking for some good parts check out John's F-Fun Hundreds in Anaheim. It's about a mile away from Disneyland. I drive by there everyday on my way home from work.

In fact I'm stopping by there in about an hour to get some parts suggested by some great guys here already. So keep those questions coming. Eventually, you'll get the right one.

Jeannine

Old 05-29-2007, 05:11 PM
true
Junior User
Originally Posted by AXracer
Best solution is to cut a 4" section out of the frame behind the cab to reduce it to a 110" wheel base, the size of the standard shortbed frame. If you have never shortened a frame before but have the welding skills to do a structural mod just ask for the best methods otherwise it would be safer to take it to a welder or have one come to you. You are fortunate to live in the heart of hot rod country so it shouldn't be too difficult or expensive to have anything you need done.
I appreciate the quick and informative responses. I have to take it down to a local classic car night tonight, so I will try to get some more detailed pictures of her. Shortening the frame and welding are certainly within my limits. I have a fairly long history with welding and my own machine, so that doesn't scare me at all. However, shortening the wheelbase will also require modifying the driveshaft as well, correct? Any other mods needed to successfully pull off the change?

Chris

Old 05-29-2007, 05:30 PM
true
Junior User
Originally Posted by ilovegamesandcars
Great a local O.C. person. If your looking for some good parts check out John's F-Fun Hundreds in Anaheim. It's about a mile away from Disneyland. I drive by there everyday on my way home from work.

In fact I'm stopping by there in about an hour to get some parts suggested by some great guys here already. So keep those questions coming. Eventually, you'll get the right one.

Jeannine
Jeannine, are you going to the El Toro Fuddruckers car night tonight?

Old 05-29-2007, 05:37 PM
ilovegamesandcars
Senior User
Jeannine, are you going to the El Toro Fuddruckers car night tonight?
Sorry, no. She's not ready yet. But when she get's her flat black paint job, radio, and carpet she'll be going out on the town.

But if you can PM any info on the next meet or any other local meets I'd be intrested. My '53 Desoto needs to stretch her legs too.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:01 PM
Dustin1690
Post Fiend
Welcome man im sure you will enjoy it here on the site wow very clean truck good soild condition with not much rust pretty clean good project good luck with it

Quick Reply: New member saying hello