1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

California Motor CarrierPermit

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 12:57 AM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mikey2000
Why not get the definition/law changed to state that if you have a box, only two axles and are under 18k GVWR than it is a pick up for private use.
That would be great, but you are going to have to lobby your state senators to pass a bill with such language. Until that happens the law is the law.

See the link in post #13 by EnviroCon that list SB422 read it and call your local senators to get it passed. Looks like it is stalled in committee.

Old 05-24-2007, 01:27 AM
EnviroCon
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know Blackhat620 just covered a lot of this, but I was typing it up when he posted his response, and given that I did it using the one-figure-bird-peck method, I'm posting it anyway.

Originally Posted by jake00
but this part of the same sentence does not apply
Originally Posted by jake00
used to transport property for compensation.
You keep excluding words, punctuation, and context from the sentence.

"any motor truck of two or more axles that is more than 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight rating, and any other motor vehicle used to transport property for compensation."

That comma, separating the word "rating" from the word "and", just like the previous commas in the sentence, are there to separate the different criteria. That last portion of the sentence does not say ". . . any motor truck of two or more axles that is more than 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight rating and is used to transport property for compensation." If those commas meant that a vehicle had to meet all of the criteria in the sentence, as your suggesting with that last comma meaning "AND" (every comma in the sentence means the same thing, either every one of them means "AND" or they mean "OR"), then no vehicle would would meet the criteria to be a CMV. Have you ever seen, or heard, of a vehicle that meets all of those criteria combined?!!

It should be read as, "any motor truck of two or more axles that is more than 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight rating" (PAUSE) "and any other motor vehicle used to transport property for compensation." The "and any other. . ." clause in the sentence is separate from every other clause. It's meant to be a "catch all" in case your vehicle didn't meet any of the other criteria to be classified as a CMV or is not excluded, but you're using it to transport property for compensation, then your vehicle is also a CMV.

Last edited by EnviroCon; 05-24-2007 at 01:37 AM.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:10 AM
lawlessinmt
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So there are a WHOLE bunch of pizza delivery guys in Honda civics in for a rude awakening. "and any other motor vehicle used to transport property for compensation." LMAO

Old 05-24-2007, 02:39 AM
EnviroCon
Postmaster
Originally Posted by lawlessinmt
So there are a WHOLE bunch of pizza delivery guys in Honda civics in for a rude awakening. "and any other motor vehicle used to transport property for compensation." LMAO
Why, they're already awake. They are considered CMV's when they're at work and the pizzeria (never thought I'd be fitting that word into a post) is required to carry commercial insurance on them.

Old 05-24-2007, 03:44 AM
lawlessinmt
Freshman User
Sorry, shoulda figured that.I just imagined some poor kid having to pony up the extra money himself.I did it for a few months just after high school(although I drove a company hot neon pink delivery truck-still have issues with any shade of salmon paint-lol).A real low paying, thankless, job.Okay please disreguard the LMAO in my previous post,the hoops and red tape that government makes us jump thru just aren't that funny.It seems that common sense should prevail-is your pickup used solely for personal recreation?If yes,no special license,insurance,taxes should apply.I would rather see a guy overkill his tow/haul rating for safety issues.

Old 05-24-2007, 03:49 AM
powerstroked162
Postmaster
You should've told him to take a leapin jump off a tall building. damn cops gotta complain about traffice violations all the time. need to be out arresting drugies and murderers, not worrying about pesky GVWR numbers and permits. my goodness. Well that was my rant for the day, lol, enjoy!

Cowboy Steve

Old 05-24-2007, 08:41 AM
redford
Received 1,584 Likes on 923 Posts
Good luck gettng the law changed. I'm sure Califonia would just love to kill that cash cow!

Old 05-24-2007, 10:56 AM
Karl Aube
Junior User
Cash Cow...not for a F-550 truck fleet of one in private hauling...My fee for a MCP per year is $35.00 and that is not bad when compared to the Commercial Plate that costs around $650.00 per year.

It is the paperwork and state employees that are the hassle by consuming an inordinate amount of my time compared to the lady at the local DMV who takes my big check and gives me a sticker.

They should make the "DMV Form 65 MCP" available on line to ALL insurance carriers and individuals...not just the insiders in commercial insurance and their broker buddies who handle this for hire carriers in cahoots with the State DMV people, The clerk that I asked for the form, and refused to send it to me, then insisted that I go to a insurance agent (I read this a commercial company) to get this form filled out.

They should have the” not for hire private haulers” go thru a simple process at the local DMV and have the “for hire” parties go through the central unit is Sacramento MCP DMV. With the increased number of medui8m duty trucks with higher GVWR there are going to be a bigger need for “Not For Hire MCP’s” needed in the State of California.

Another point of irritation is the towers of fifth wheels, camp trailers get an exemption and can use their trucks for transport YET the owners of a bed carried camper must have it PERMANTLY connected to the truck bed to get an exception. My camper has a basement for storage, piping and tanks and I can’t bolt it to the bed with reasonable assurance I won’t hit some critical item. It costs as much or more than some camp trailers. Come on State of California… be reasonable and not discriminatory to Truck Camper owners and favor the tow RV trailer just because they have to have a license and a truck camper does not need a license because it is LOAD on my high capacity box bed truck that I pay big bucks to license.

This practice is governmental favoritism at the highest level...that sounds like a crime practice to me.

Old 06-08-2007, 03:38 PM
cray
New User
Anybody know how CHP will treat out of state heavy pickups?

Old 06-08-2007, 04:08 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cray
Anybody know how CHP will treat out of state heavy pickups?
All out of state vehicles are treated as conforming as long as they conform to their home states rules. That is part of the interstate commerce act. Just like your out of state drives license is good when you travel to CA or any other state.

Old 06-08-2007, 04:17 PM
Karl Aube
Junior User
Not a CHP guy

I understand the CHP has held stop and checks on I-15 going east out of for CA vehicles towing big Toy Haulers. As a <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[img] /><st1:City w:st=[/img]of Barstow</ST1[img] /><st1:State w:st=[/img]<ST1California</ST1</st1:State> driver you better have your numbers correct for GVWR and GCVWR. I believe the first is a Warning misdemeanor but future stop could be expensive for<ST1 drivers if they need a MCP. Just being overloaded for the Manufacture is an unsafe practice and could get you cited even though you are out of state. This is why I am going for the MCP so I am not overloaded and in compliance with my state code when traveling out of state.<O</O

Now, for out of state people if they are legal in the home state and are traveling through they should be OK. Warning to out of state haulers be sure you are legal in your state. Many states are changing regulations to comply with Federal requirements and my be in the process of tightening regulations like <st1:State w:st="on"><ST1California</ST1lace</st1:State>. A pick up <st1:State w:st="on"><ST1California</ST1lace</st1:State> has a GVWR of less than 11,000 or11,500 pounds. Some sections of the Vehicle Code have 10,000 pounds. Be careful you don’t go over the truck MFG ratings with your load and haul. I bet your insurance company will not back you is you are overloaded for the truck and haul and have an accident.<O></O>

Old 06-19-2007, 08:41 PM
Karl Aube
Junior User
Made MCP application...got back incomplete application

I got the MCP number from the Highway Patrol and sent back application the affidavit no Work Comp, have no employees. A picture of camper on truck and what boat on trailer would be. Paid my fees and sent copies of Insurance letters with coverage for RV use only to $!million for liability. Got back receipt for fees and a general letter telling me my proof of insurance is not on e "DMV form 65 MCP."<O</O

Which is their requirement that I can find in the Office Administrative Law published record of requirements identifying the "form 65" with no reference to it being a form only to be given to insurance companies (unmentioned but hinted at Commercial Insurance Carriers),,,I have requested a copy of the form to be informed what they are requiring of an insurance company and have denied a copy three times. I appears that I am going to try again in writing with a request they reply in writing where in their published and public noticed the requirement they make available only carriers of commercial Insurance and not to non commercial carriers for RV insurance. There is now an Office of Administrative Law (OAL) that is opening a review of Underground Procedures that have not been public noticed that impact private individuals. My estimate for insurance for a year on my truck would go from $814.00 for 12 months to $1,800.00 for 6 months or about $3,600 per year. It appears that to get a MCP, they require (I can not verify because as the insured I can not see their "underground form 65 MCP”) commercial insurance coverage that has a hell of lot more exposure risk than RV use and exposure and risk. A serious impact on the RV user of a safe commercial rated truck for not for hire RV use only risk. I have had my truck since August 2005 almost 2 years and have only 20,000 miles on it and using it for only RV and equipment installs at camping world and trips to work on my boat in SF bay. If this truck were in commercial use I estimate it would have 10 times the mileage and exposure of 200,000 miles on it now. A quite different risk profile...enough said.<O></O>

I am seriously thinking of welding closed all four my "six gun" camper tie downs to permanently attach the camper to the truck and the frame and apply for a "house car" status. I keep the camper on the motor vehicle at all times any way. Any body out there ever done this and got approval from DMV? PLEASE reply. I considered what the old campers did with four carriage bolts through the camper floor to the underside of the bed but with campers with a basement for piping, tanks and recreational storage. This can't be reasonably accomplished on a 2005 top of the line camper and this would put unneeded road stress on the structure which is now attaches with spring loaded tie downs to allow some flexibility between the truck bed and the camper structure.<O></O>

<O></O>

Old 06-20-2007, 12:11 AM
mikey2000
Senior User
You are barking up the wrong tree. Send letters to Barbara Boxer, Diane Feinstein, your State Senator and your Congressman telling them to support State Senator Roy Ashburn's Senate Bill 422 which exempts from definition of commercial vehicle any pickup truck not used to in a commercial manner for profit (paraphrased). In addition, send a copy of your letter to Ashburn telling him you support his Bill and you asked your elected officials to support his Bill. Call it ironic or coincidence, but Ashburn happens to represent most of the areas that I tow my trailer to with my F450 and spend money. Let him know that too if you like to visit Lone Pine, Barstow, Bakersfield or Ridgecrest. If you de-classify your truck all of your head aches go away and you will get a refund from the state for over payment of fees! Here is a link to Ashburn's site http://republican.sen.ca.gov/opeds/1...3857_print.asp

Old 06-20-2007, 11:48 AM
Karl Aube
Junior User
thanks for showing me the tree but ...

…the time to climb will be considerable and I want to go camping NOW.
I have cancelled my once in a lifetime trip to the UP to Sail MY boat where my Great Grandfather and Grandfather sailed their boats.<O></O>

<O></O>

I WILL SUPPORT THIS SB AND ENCORUGE MY REPRESENITIVES TO DO THE SAME. I AGREE WITH YOU THIS IS DISCRIMINATION AND UNFAIRNESS AT THE EXTREAME LEVEL IN GOVERNMENT. NOT ONLY TO COLLECT WIEGHT FEES BUT TO SECREATLY REQUIRE COMMERCIAL INSURANCE FOR A RECOGNIZED USE AS A RV THAT IS ACKNOWLEDGED IS MANY PRRTS OF THE VEHICLE CODE. IT IS NOT A SECURITY AND FRAUD ISSUE WITH OUT SOME PUBLIC RECORD OR GOVERNMENT RECORD SHOWING FACTS WITH WITH A LOT OF DETAILS NOT SOME BOGUS UNDERGROUND RULE FOR DMV FORM 65 MCP BASED ON SOME UNSUPPORTED DISCUSSION ON WHY COMMERCIAL INSURANCE WILL SOLVE A SECURITY OR FRAUD ISSUE. IF FRAUD AND SECURITY ARE ISSUES THOSE PERPS WILL HAVE ENOUGH MONEY FROM ACTIONS OUTSIDE THE LAW TO PAY THE FEES AND CONTIMUE TO OPERATE OUT SIDE THE LAW. THE ONLY PEOPLE IMPACTED ARE THE LAW ABIDING CITIZENS DOING LEGAL ACTIVITIES INSIDE TO LAW. <O></O>

<O></O>

OUR FORE FATHERS COMPLAINED ABOUT TAXATION WITH OUT REPRESENTATION BUT WE HAVE A BIGGER ISSUE...UNEQUAL TAXATION WITH REPRENSATION AND THIS SHOULD BY OUR BATTLE CRY.<O></O>

MY RANT<O></O>

Old 06-20-2007, 12:18 PM
mongo75
Postmaster
So if I placed an ad on Craiglist to haul peoples junk around, I could get fined for not having a MCP?? It's only $65 a year to get one? Might be worth it, if I actually had junk to pull LOL

Quick Reply: California Motor CarrierPermit