Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Melted Coil Plug Harness?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 12:16 PM
bchitwood73
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Melted Coil Plug Harness?

Hey Fokes,

My 93 Auto EB 4x4 just stopped running on the highway the other day. It seemed as if it wasn't getting either any spark, or any fuel.

Got it home, tried to start it again and it kinds of sputters like it wants to but it never fires. Looking under the hood, everything looks normal except for the wireing harness that runs into the ignition coil pack. The plug itself looks to be melted from the first two wires towards the front of the rig. The wires themselves have lost the plastic housing right where they run into the plug.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? I would have thought a fuse would blow before wires started melting? I am going to replace the coilpack and the plug of corse but something tells me that is not the source of my problems. Unless of course the coilpack is bad?

Thank you,

Old 05-22-2007, 02:04 AM
MazdaRangerGuy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Usually this is caused by high resistance at the connector. Some corrosion builds up at the terminals... and the resistance makes it heat up to the point it melts the plastic, and eventually melts away the electrical connection.

Just repair the coil, connector... and use some dielectric grease on the terminals.. you should be fine.