Sponsored by:

My First Bronco

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2000, 12:25 PM
rebelford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My First Bronco

Howdy all. I am purchasing my first Bronco. It is a 1995 White Ford Bronco XLT. It has tan leather and all the goodies. I has runnin boards and a grill guard. I am buying it for around 10,000 does that sound fair? It is in great condition and has a 5.8L V-8. It sounds very nice and looks prefect. This being my first Bronco could yall tell me some more about it. Such as what kind of Transmition? (C-6 maby) What type of Transfer case? What kind of axels? I think it has a ford 9 inch and a danna 44?? Correct me if im wrong. What kind of history, gas milage and daily maintence should I expect?
Thanks
Gary

Old 08-27-2000, 05:26 PM
Torky
Senior User
My First Bronco

Hi, good choice! 10K$ sounds extremely good for a '95! Auto trans is an E4OD (4 speed, the top gear is an overdrive). The old C-6 was a three-speed auto. Transfer case is a Borg-Warner 13-56, as used in F-150, 250, 350. Has a 2.69 reduction ratio in 4Low, straight through 1:1 in 4High.
Rear differential is a Ford 8.8 inch. You can tell the ratio, and if it is Limited Slip or not by looking at axle code on the sticker on the door frame. 19 = 3.55 ratio, H9 = 3.55 ratio with LS. Front diff and axle is a Dana 44 IFS, Independent Front Suspension. On the 2WD trucks, the front was called Twin-I Beam, for 4WD trucks its called Twin-Traction Beam.
I know of no inherent, major problems. With age, may someday have problems with back window wires to motor, and the newer auto-locking front hubs with three screws on the cap are supposed to be weaker than the old 5 screw ones.
Probably want to check your rain gutters above the doors. This is a common problem with lots of cars and trucks, and F-series and Bronco are known for them. The sealer that is painted over at the bottom of the groove ages, cracks, and lets water in. Doesn't take but a small crack in the rear of the gutter to let in a lot of water. Easy to carefully chip or cut out old crumbly sealer back to good material, use silicone caulk to reseal. Your white will be a good match using white caulk. Not that anybody can see up there, anyway. Have fun and keep us posted!

Old 08-27-2000, 05:30 PM
Torky
Senior User
My First Bronco

Oh yeah, take those running boards off to do some real 4-wheeling. Gas mileage with 5.8 351 Windsor engine with 3.55 rear, about 13 in town, maybe 16 - 17 highway?

Old 08-29-2000, 07:39 AM
ET2
Freshman User
My First Bronco

Wow! $10,000 for a 95, that's a good price. Torky covered all the specs pretty well. As far as daily maintenance goes, I have a 90 Bronco with the 351 and E4OD. I change the oil every 3000 miles (duh), and I've had it recommended to change the transmission fluid as often as every 30,000 miles, even though the manual says 60,000 I think. Beware of that tranny, it holds almost 17 quarts of transmission fluid and doesn't have a drain plug (you have to have a really big pan under the tranny when you pop the oil sump). All the repair maintenance is easy. There's lots of room under the hood, the 351W is easy to work on, all the brake components, driveline, etc are easy to get to and are farily cheap to get replacement parts for. I have a 1997 VW Jetta and I basically pay 1/3 of the price for identical parts for my Bronco when they fail.
The Bronco is an awesome truck. I would highly recommend getting it, especially for the price offered. Oh yeah, get some Warn manual hubs if it has automatics. I had those 3 screw autos in mine, and when the right side went, splines on the axle with it. The Warns are only $75.00 with the conversion kit, it's worth it.
Good luck and have fun!

1990 Bronco XLT, 6" Skyjacker Suspension Lift, Super Swapper Thornbird 35x12.5R15s, Rancho RS-9000s, 400HP 351

Old 08-29-2000, 07:46 AM
ET2
Freshman User
My First Bronco