Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Boost Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 02:02 PM
savage250
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boost Question

I just installed my gauges last night, and wow I was amazed how much the pyro moves..

but my big question is what to do about my boost. I have the diablo predator 60hp econo in now. At WOT I am getting to 18psi. The gauge seems to bouce a little when it get there. I thought, wonder if it's the wastegate so I just unplugged the red line to it, now I'm just shy of 25psi.

So I'm thinking that if I can get to 25 without the wastegate, then I must not have a leak, it's just the wastegate.

What do I do now, can I just leave it unplugged, or is there something I can adjust??

Thanks

Old 05-10-2007, 02:40 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
I get 18 with my truck as well but using the Tow/Haul tune. I never use anything else as it's WAY too smoky and twitchy for driving around town with.
You can adjust the linkage rod between the canister and the WG valve, but it requires a rather sensitive guage. Ford wants the WG to begin opening at 5 psi and it electronically controls it from there.
I tightened mine up until it starts opening at about 10-12 psi. The way to do that is to rig up a guage with a tee in the hose and connect it to the canister. Gently apply some compressed air to the hose and observe when the WG lever just starts to move and at what pressure. From there it's just time spent turning that linkage rod in or out until it opens at the desired pressure.
Again, Ford specs at 5 psi. I coudn't leave well enough alone and set it at 10-12.

Old 05-10-2007, 04:57 PM
savage250
Tuned
so you're thinking I should just leave it at 18psi then?

Will it hurt anything not having the wastegate hooked up?

Old 05-10-2007, 05:32 PM
MTMike
Senior User
I see about 21-22 with the predator on 60hp with the waste gate connected about 24-25 with it disconnected. Tried the 100hp tune and boost was about 29 which I understand is too much for a stock turbo. I've been running with mine disconnected for a while.

mike in montana

Old 05-10-2007, 07:57 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Originally Posted by savage250
so you're thinking I should just leave it at 18psi then?

Will it hurt anything not having the wastegate hooked up?
As long as you stay under 25 PSI you are ok.
But you will get lower fuel economy if you tow with the WG disconnected, from what I have read here on FTE.
I've also had the impression that there is less top end power with the WG disconnected and it's understandable with all the back pressure that there is.